Windows 10: The old Control panel may soon be gone

Discus and support The old Control panel may soon be gone in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; The existence of two applications for changing system settings, the familiar 'Control Panel' and the touch-friendly 'Settings' app, was a point of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Burgurne, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Burgurne Win User

The old Control panel may soon be gone

Read more: The Control Panel may soon disappear in future Windows 10 builds

:)

Burgurne, Oct 9, 2015

2. When will Control Panel be completely gone in Windows 10?

I wish Microsoft Edge could replace Internet Explorer in future Windows 10 builds.

brennanelijahhanaleitorresbeht, Oct 9, 2015
  3. When will Control Panel be completely gone in Windows 10?

Would Control Panel be replaced by the Settings app in future Windows 10 builds and be completely gone. If so then what Windows 10 build would have Control Panel be completely gone and replaced the Settings app?

brennanelijahhanaleitorresbeht, Oct 9, 2015
  4. Jo Mei Win User

D'oh! Time for another 3rd party tool?

Jo Mei, Oct 9, 2015
  5. dalchina New Member
    ... or Winaero to find a way to put it back...

Note that presently the old control panel is the only way to set a 3rd party browser fully to use its defaults. I used the 'Settings' 'modern' GUI to set defaults, but sthg still wasn't set. It was when I used the old control panel.

'If it ain't broke.....'

dalchina, Oct 9, 2015
  6. About time it was replaced, all they have to do is add some more apps to settings, and the old control panel is obsolete, there is plenty of room left to do so.
    I for one don't use the old control panel much since upgrading

hTconeM9user, Oct 9, 2015
  7. Jairus24 Win User
    It's about time, all control panel settings should only be accessed from one place and that will be the settings app. Removing control panel should not necessarily translate to limited settings accessibility, they just have to move the location where we can access those settings for less UI clutter and redundancy.

Jairus24, Oct 9, 2015
  8. The old Control panel may soon be gone

In the Personal Pref's dept, , , when I set up Windows 10 on a PC, one of the shortcuts I put on the desktop is the one to the "Control Panel". That makes setting 'things' very easy indeed.

*Cool

TechnoMage, Oct 9, 2015
  9. I tend to use control panel for some things, and settings for others. Having said that, out with the old and in with the new.

R.I.P control panel you will not be missed. Should have been gone when Win 10 was launched imho.

thegeriatric, Oct 9, 2015
  10. *Ditto To the should have been gone when 10 was released.

alphanumeric, Oct 9, 2015
  11. LEE
    Lee Win User
    . . .whatever. . .it really makes no difference in the long run; folks will get used to using the settings. . .*Party

12. zahl Win User
    And of course the one that will remain is the one made for tablets and phones

13. BunnyJ New Member

I thought that this was mentioned by MS a while back.

BunnyJ, Oct 10, 2015
  14. It's still useable with a keyboard mouse so what's the big deal? The only touch screen I have is connected to my raspberry Pi. It doesn't stop me or hinder me from using Windows 10 though? You still have to click an Icon to open control panel and access an option. Only difference to settings is things are in different places. It doesn't take long to remember where stuff is though. Why keep Control Panel? Other than familiarity?

alphanumeric, Oct 10, 2015
  15. Ztruker Win User
    It would be nice if MS (or someone) would provide a map of how to do things in Settings. I know it would be a long list but one worth compiling. Basically an index that would take you to the mouse clicks or swipes needed to accomplish something.

Screen Saver Settings
    - Personalization, Lock Screen, Screen saver settings.
    System Restore
    - no idea how via Settings.

Ztruker, Oct 10, 2015
Thema:

1. The old Control panel may soon be gone - Similar Threads - old Control panel

2. at start I get old Control Panel panel

in Windows 10 Customization
    at start I get old Control Panel panel: Somehow, recently I'm getting the old Windows Control Panel window when I click on Settings, not the regular Windows 10 window. I didn't knowingly make a switch, but how do I get the standard Settings back?...
  3. at start I get old Control Panel panel

in Windows 10 Gaming
    at start I get old Control Panel panel: Somehow, recently I'm getting the old Windows Control Panel window when I click on Settings, not the regular Windows 10 window. I didn't knowingly make a switch, but how do I get the standard Settings back?...
  4. at start I get old Control Panel panel

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. run,control panel and other items gone

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    run,control panel and other items gone: So I was trying to sort out my works synced SharePoint folders and stupidly deleted a chunk of my user folder and as a result my windows is now missing basic features like control panel , run and a few others , I can access them if I dig around but there is nothing in start...
  6. Anyway to get the old control panel back?

in Windows 10 Support
    Anyway to get the old control panel back?: I've been wanting the old control panel back in Windows 10 and I'm wondering if anyone knows how? And it doesn't have to but I would like the old windows update back in it also. All help appreciated. My WVN is Version 2004 (OS Build 20161.1000) 159898
  7. Where are the old Control Panel items?

in Windows 10 Support
    Where are the old Control Panel items?: Does anyone know how i can get the old Control Panel applets/menus in Windows 10 like Display and Default Programs? I know how to get the old Personalisation settings, i just wondered where the rest of the Control Panel pages have gone. Also btw sorry for the terrible...
  8. Microsoft could soon hide Control Panel pages on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft could soon hide Control Panel pages on Windows 10: The Control Panel hosts a collection of advanced options for customizing system settings of Windows and it first appeared in Windows 2.0. With Windows 8, Microsoft decided to modernize everything and they introduced a modern or touch-optimized app that contained only basic...
  9. The "Location" tab in region setting in control panel is GONE

in Windows 10 Customization
    The "Location" tab in region setting in control panel is GONE: I can't seem to find the solution for this anywhere, hoping someone who has the same issue can help me out here. So I have a game that require Japan locale, so I went to region setting in control panel but the "location" tab wasn't there. Then I try change it through "country...
  10. How to get to old control panel in W10

in Windows 10 Support
    How to get to old control panel in W10: Now that I've got Win10,, I was looking around and clicking on stuff to see what was under the hood, I found that you can get to the Old Control Panel like in Win 7, problem is I don't remember how I got there. Can any one help me on this? I don't particularly care for the...