Windows 10: The old switcheroo my PC did...

Discus and support The old switcheroo my PC did... in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; OK now that was scary. Just when I just wanted to install a CPU update from the Gigabyte site to flash my Intel, after a restart my PC said NOPE! The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by RingTailCoon, Apr 28, 2018.

1. The old switcheroo my PC did...

OK now that was scary. Just when I just wanted to install a CPU update from the Gigabyte site to flash my Intel, after a restart my PC said NOPE! The automated recovery was shown on my screen and my PC wasn't able to recover itself but via the HDD option in the recovery menu I was able to get back into Windows. So after every restart I was given the message that Windows could not be fixed but via the menu was able to get back into Windows. Not directly as usual.

So after a while I just peeked into my BIOS and well whaddaya know: SOMEHOW my startup sequence was changed to a very strange folder (X:/ I think it was) instead of my SSD.

Could this be that the flashing went awkwardly wrong and somehow something was changed in the bootup sequence?! So I changed the order again, saved out of the BIOS and voil ! All back on track...

But not without cleaning up Windows again with a clean install... So no more flashing BIOSes for me, I don't trust 'em from now on!

(At a friends' place I was given the opportunity to make a recovery DVD for Windows, that was my saving grace)

But now the burning question: what caused the BIOS to switch from one startup to another?!

I flashed the Intel so many times before but now this?! (And yes, I picked the right one!)

:)

RingTailCoon, Apr 28, 2018

2. Someone has my old phone and did not change the Microsoft account

Hi.

A few months ago (about two I think) I took my Lumia 520 to the mobile phone company because of a problem with the screen. They told me they would reset the phone to factory settings and then replace the display, which is an easy task to do. Because I was
    told it would be reset and then given back to me, I did not perform a hard reset myself. Argentina has a lot of restrictions to imports, so the next day the carrier company (Slim's "Claro") said they would give me a new phone because they can not get spare
    parts, and I would not have to worry because they can not sell used phones and anyway it was wiped out of my data.

Up to now, everything went fine, but on tuesday I noticed that all of my email was deleted from the phone. Upon further inspection I also noticed that some of my contacts were also deleted, as well as my facebook chats; some messages were sent with my facebook
    account to people I do not know and text messages appeared on my phone's inbox, though they did not make it ring on arrival.

A while after restoring my contacts, they dissappeared again and other contacts appeared, so I can now know with certainty that someone has my old phone. In fact, some of the messages sent from my facebook said "I have a new phone" (in spanish, as I live
    in Argentina now).

I signed in to windowsphone.com on a computer and tried to locate the old phone, though as the new one has a back up copy of its data it was difficult because both are the same phone, with the same name. Out of fear of deleting all of the data on my current
    phone, I've selected the option to forget the phone instead of erasing it, hoping that would sign me off of it. That did not happen, and now I cant erase it either! (I swear I usually am smart!!!). Another thing that made me choose forget was that it asked
    the mobile phone number, which I do not know (it would have been way easier if I knew it). Now I can only locate and ring my current phone from that page.

Because of this, I've changed my facebook password (and forced all open sessions to be closed) and my Hotmail passwords (after 15 years... :'( ). Interestingly, microsoft does not have the option to force close all open sessions... So, I decided to enable
    dual sign in and have messages sent to my phone number with a code, though I had to quickly delete them as most probably they would be copied onto my old phone. Also I've deleted all trusted devices. However, this did not make me either change my password
    on the phone nor validate the log in with a code!

Having said all of this, how can I force the other person to log off? I tried contacting him/her through the contacts that appear on my list, though they suspect I am trying to scam them...

If necessary, I can provide the old phone's IMEI as I still have the box.

Best regards,

Willy

Willy Schindler, Apr 28, 2018
  3. Someone has my old phone and did not change the Microsoft account

Julie:

Thank you for your answer.

Sorry, with "dual sign in" I meant two step authentication. I did it today because the problem persisted. Since I had created my Hotmail account I did not have any security issues while holding the same simple password. I did change it today to see if the
    problem would be solved but it did not.

Perhaps it would be nice if microsoft added a function to log off all devices signed in with one's account...

Thank you for worrying about my wallet, though I do not use that service yet The old switcheroo my PC did... ;).

I hope you have a nice day.

Regards,

Willy

Willy Schindler, Apr 28, 2018
Thema:

The old switcheroo my PC did...

1. The old switcheroo my PC did... - Similar Threads - old switcheroo did

2. I did a reset on my PC…

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I did a reset on my PC…: I did a reset on my PC and kept all personal files and chose to reinstall windows from the cloud, it’s been restarting at 64% for about an hour now and gets to 73% sometimes 80% and repeats the process. Am I screwed?...
  3. Why did My pc restart

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why did My pc restart: I full formeted my pc and process is over after tht it started to restart again.. after a few time it's restart again saying that why did my pc restart and this process repeats again and again... Some time in the middle of this process pc home screen come but it's flickers...
  4. Did my PC break my mic?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Did my PC break my mic?: One day when I was talking to people and my mic was working perfectly fine, my PC decided to shut off randomly on its own, probably due to overheating but it could be another reason. Anyway, ever since I turned my PC back on, my mic no longer picks up my voice. Usually...
  5. My old fast PC.

in Windows 10 Support
    My old fast PC.: Can someone explain this to me. I have and old HP Compaq Elite 8300 SFF, 4GB ram, 250 SSD and 1TB HHD. It goes like a train. I also have have PC with an AsUs motherboard, 16GB ram, 1TB SSD , 250 M2. I also have a Lenova E570, 8GB ram, 500GB SSD and 250GB M2. The HP seems a...
  6. Did I remove my old product key?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Did I remove my old product key?: I had to replace my motherboard and didn't manage to activate my windows afterwards. I found some KMS activation key online and tried that, did this replace my old key or is it still salvageable?...
  7. did update on my other pc

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    did update on my other pc: updated my other pc which in brand new and now i have no networking hardware reinstalled drivers keep geting code 10 tried everything to fix https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/did-update-on-my-other-pc/cc4451db-2738-46e2-a576-f46ae70a91d4
  8. My PC did not start correctly

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    My PC did not start correctly: Hi, I get a bite screen and an error massage: "Automatic Repair: Your PC did not start correctly", it's happening after upgrade my WIN 10. Help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-pc-did-not-start-correctly/5832d012-71c3-4089-ae8e-f1ae1d005ef6
  9. where did my old excel files go?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    where did my old excel files go?: where did my old excel files go? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-did-my-old-excel-files-go/7aca07ef-3912-4e4e-99df-24df89846055"
  10. Why did my PC restart?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why did my PC restart?: Doing a refresh install of a computer I dont have a install file other then what is on the PC. The keep your files version was tried first, but wasn't successful. The version of wipe files and re-install was tried only to be locked into "Why did my PC restart?". This is a...