Windows 10: The Petya ransomware just got a whole lot worse

Discus and support The Petya ransomware just got a whole lot worse in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Make back ups before it strikes..... The Petya ransomware now bundles a second file-encrypting program for cases where it cannot replace a... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Borg 386, May 13, 2016.

1. Borg 386 Win User

The Petya ransomware just got a whole lot worse

Make back ups before it strikes.....

The Petya ransomware just got a whole lot worse | PCWorld

:)

Borg 386, May 13, 2016
  2. JMDinOKC Win User

Petya/Goldeneye ransomware

Running Windows 10 on an HP laptop. This is 6/30/17 and the big scare right now is the Petya/Goldeneye ransomware. I have two questions:

• Will using a VPN decrease vulnerability to this threat? (I use ExpressVPN.)
    • The word is that one major avenue of attack for Petya is through the WMI service. There are various ways of increasing WMI security using the WMI Control. Will doing so decrease vulnerability to the Petya ransomware?
    Thank you.

JMDinOKC, May 13, 2016
  3. Mitjah Win User
    Mitjah, May 13, 2016
  4. Cliff S New Member

I'm scared now!
    It'll take me 25 minutes to reimage 2 SSDs(256GB & 1TB) and one 2TB HDD*Wink

Cliff S, May 13, 2016
  5. Hopachi Win User
    Yes Cliff, but there are still enough pc's to target since a lot of users don't backup.

Hopachi, May 13, 2016
  6. axe0 New Member
    There are also folks who don't backup their backup and leave the original backup on the main pc.
    I'm the sort of a guy that backups the backup of the backup *Smile

7. Cliff S New Member
    I just make one major backup of all 3 disks every couple of months(or like I will tomorrow, because I changed my disks(got a new 1TB 850EVO to replace a 128 840 PRO today*Smile) and I did some partition moving, and adjusting for the new size) to an external HDD, that sits in the closet..
    The rest of the time, after any new software installs, and before, then a few days after, any major updates(software and/or OS), I just make an image to my 2TB HDD of the C: disk, incase something goes haywire.

Cliff S, May 13, 2016
  8. The Petya ransomware just got a whole lot worse

This is why I always made a weekly backup when I ran Windows. That way it was just as simple as restoring the backup.

ArazelEternal, May 14, 2016
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

I think I've said this on the Forum "Ad Nauseam".

Take regular backups with a bootable backup program e.g Free Macrium -- easily enough done -- and ensure they are clean backups of course.
    Then if any problem - just wipe HDD and restore image.

My data I store on a NAS and that data is updated when required manually by me - Windows doesn't have direct write access anyway to those drives -- and it's XFS file format which Windows can't do anything about.

The NAS data I back up also sporadically on some external HDD's so even in TOTAL disaster I can recover.

To those of you with NAS boxes -- think also about backup on those too from time to time -- I really for example wouldn't like to re-create 3 TB or so of music files !!!! - and I don't believe streaming will replace local music either -- lots of times you want stuff not easily available on services like spotify etc and especially if you like uncompressed HQ music (FLAC, WAV etc).

RAID / NAS drives can fail too -- RAID prevents total disaster if you choose the right option - but you should think about these things too.

A couple of cheap external 2 TB HDD's is good for that type of backup. You don't need to back that type of stuff up very often anyway. After initial backup just incrementals / differentials is all that is required. For the OS though I always Image the entire OS.

I did have to restore / re-create a 6TB NAS array (data about 3 TB) when an old drive on a RAID array went totally Bonkers -- took about 5 hrs from 3 X 2 TB passport size USB HDD's but job was done OK - so as a previous poster says - even have a Backup of the Backup --you might never need it but I'm glad I had it !!!!.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. The Petya ransomware just got a whole lot worse - Similar Threads - Petya ransomware got

2. Windows Explorer just got worse

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer just got worse: All the folders like downloads, documents, etc just got hidden and to open them I need to start at the C: folder. Why the hell would microsoft remove the ability to pin them to the side of the explorer? Destroying their own product....
  3. Windows Explorer just got worse

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Explorer just got worse: All the folders like downloads, documents, etc just got hidden and to open them I need to start at the C: folder. Why the hell would microsoft remove the ability to pin them to the side of the explorer? Destroying their own product....
  4. I just got hit with Ransomware ADAME

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I just got hit with Ransomware ADAME: All of my files on my external hard drive just got encrypted. I removed all of the viruses with malwarebytes, but now every single one of my files have the extension " .id[42B18849-2275].[[email protected]].Adame " Is there any way to remove the extension and recover my...
  5. Petya ransomware encryption system cracked

Petya ransomware encryption system cracked: Petya ransomware victims can now unlock infected computers without paying. An unidentified programmer has produced a tool that exploits shortfalls in the way the malware encrypts a file that allows Windows to start up. In notes put on code-sharing site Github, he said...
  6. Ransomware is about to get a lot worse

Ransomware is about to get a lot worse: Ransomware is about to get a lot worse, by holding your operating system hostage Now cybersecurity researchers warn that new ransomware features could make life even worse for victims. Rather than just encrypting key files, ransomware could soon infect a computer to...
  7. Warning: Latest Petya Ransomware Strain Comes with a Failsafe: Mischa

Warning: Latest Petya Ransomware Strain Comes with a Failsafe: Mischa: Warning: Latest Petya Ransomware Strain Comes with a Failsafe: Mischa [img] See also here: Warning: Latest Petya Ransomware Strain Comes with a Failsafe: Mischa 50418
  8. Bsod got worse

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bsod got worse: Hello, my laptop is not turning on after this error. I used to see this error almost every other day. I thought it's nothing serious.. I even don't see any battery light (on laptop) when I connect it with the charger. I really don't understand what's the main problem.. I...
  9. Warning: Latest Petya Ransomware Strain Comes with a Failsafe: Mischa

in Windows 10 News
    Warning: Latest Petya Ransomware Strain Comes with a Failsafe: Mischa: Latest Petya Ransomware Strain Comes with a Failsafe: Mischa [img] Warning: The Petya ransomware strain signaled a new escalation for crypto-malware when it surfaced in March. For the first time, ransomware went beyond encrypting files on local and shared drives...
  10. Bad Rabbit ransomware: A new variant of Petya is spreading

in Windows 10 News
    Bad Rabbit ransomware: A new variant of Petya is spreading: Bad Rabbit, a ransomware infection thought to be a new variant of Petya, has apparently hit a number of organisations in Russia and Ukraine. In a tweet, Russian cybersecurity firm Group-IB said that at least three media organisations in the country have been hit by...