Windows 10: The problem returned again - Search is not working

Discus and support The problem returned again - Search is not working in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I had this issue in the past and posted a thread about it here, but the problem was mysteriously solved. Now it has returned: Search is not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mibaup, Feb 8, 2016.

1. mibaup Win User

The problem returned again - Search is not working

Hi,

I had this issue in the past and posted a thread about it here, but the problem was mysteriously solved.
    Now it has returned: Search is not working properly:
    It only finds certain files and randomly, so it can find some of the items on desktop, and not all of them, or it can find some files located in other locations like AppData, and not all of them.
    The search does work for finding settings, for example when I type "partition" in search in gives me "Create and format hard drive partitions", so for that it's ok. But for files and folders? nope

Has anyone else encountered this problem or can help me solve it?

Thanks!

:)

mibaup, Feb 8, 2016
  2. EssamCo Win User

Windows 10 Start search no longer works

Hello,

I have the same problem before yesterday was not working and today is working well. I checked updates there is no new updates what this mean. Does search first check a server on the internet !!! maybe there was a problem on this server cause this problem
    then they fix it!!!.

I tried disconnecting internet and then I ended explorer task then I start it again. the search not working no results. then I connected internet again and ended explorer task and start it then I search, it took time for first search only after I returned
    internet then it show results .

what this mean for my opinion maybe there is contacts between search and server over internet.

I hope who can analyze this situation to understand the problem.

Thank you

EssamCo, Feb 8, 2016
  3. AlexTsang Win User
    marketplace search bug

Same here.

I just searched "WhatsApp" 12 hours ago because a new version was released, no search results returned. I did the search using the same keyword again and the problem still exists.

AlexTsang, Feb 8, 2016
  4. b1rd Win User

Hey mibaup,

I wanted to wait a bit before I posted this, as I suspected somebody would have an answer, but it's been a while. I really do not, other then to perhaps check your folder option settings, and that type of thing. IE: Look over your search parameters, such as the specified locations, file types, modification options, etc..

The real reason for this post is to offer a work-around using Everything. Again, not a fix, but perhaps it might help until you get this resolved. (Plus it's good to have anyhow)

b1rd, Feb 9, 2016
  5. Orerockon Win User
    I'm wondering if someone has found a fix for this issue that doesn't involve 3rd party software? I'm not allowed to install anything "unofficial" and I've had this problem for ages. Testing it out every once in a while I get partial results for files in the same folder. E.g. I search for "abc" and it returns some of the matching files but it looks like it never returns all matching files. I rebuilt indexes, changed permissions, am the real admin, etc. but I never could fix it. I can do all the system tweaks I want to as long as I don't get caught *Wink

Orerockon, Jan 13, 2017
  6. D4ni3l Win User
    The problem returned again - Search is not working [​IMG]

check there is no override in "Use Language list"
    I have noticed that that search is not working if I force a language

good luck

D4ni3l, Jan 13, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    Hi, I'm assuming you are referring to search using the Cortana search box.
    Searches there for files and folders are, as I think you know, dependent on Windows search indexing just as using the search box in file explorer is.

To simplify things slightly, please try viewing the folder you're interested in - one that is indexed- and attempt a few searches in it, and advise the results.

Note: searches will return files which match by path, name, and content if they are text files and specified to be indexed by
    both properties and content.

You will get only files if you use the string (e.g.)
    file:
    before your search string.
    E.g. in my test folder
    file:*36
    returns all files whose names end in 36 whereas
    returns a number of files, including files whose names do not contain 36.

You can find out more about search syntax here:
    Advanced Query Syntax (Windows)

I also prefer using a 3rd party tool when scanning all my disks for files - instant find-as-you-type results, and a whole lot easier to use, with GUI options to limit and specify the search.
    I use locate32 (free).

dalchina, Jan 13, 2017
  8. The problem returned again - Search is not working

Everything Search has a Portable version that can be run off a USB Flashdrive and should leave no trace *Wink
    I haven't used Windows search since discovering Everything back in my XP days

Good luck *Smile

FrillyBits, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. The problem returned again - Search is not working - Similar Threads - problem returned again

2. Is there some secret to make Windows Search work again?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there some secret to make Windows Search work again?: So basic question. Windows used to have a search engine that could find any file on your desktop with just a bit of the title or similar. Now it doesn't know how to find anything on my desktop even if I use the whole title, and it usually wants to fuck straight off to the...
  3. Windows Search not returning files

in Cortana
    Windows Search not returning files: This worked perfectly fine before when I was able to just type a file name such asautoclicker to get autoclicker.exe or to get song and get song.txt.But now, it does nothing.I have tried running the troubleshooter....
  4. Windows Search not returning files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Search not returning files: This worked perfectly fine before when I was able to just type a file name such asautoclicker to get autoclicker.exe or to get song and get song.txt.But now, it does nothing.I have tried running the troubleshooter....
  5. Windows Search not returning files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Will windows search ever work again ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Will windows search ever work again ?: I am so done with MS. It's been more than a month now my search is broken. Sometimes it doesn't even take input from my keyboard. Sometimes when it does, it doesn't show anything. Works randomly for 30 seconds and stays broken for a week. Tried everything from clean install...
  7. search returns duplicate results

in Windows 10 Customization
    search returns duplicate results: In Search Locations under Search tools in Outlook 2019, my email is listed multiple times. I;m sure this is why the emails are listed multiple times in a search. When I remove the check mark next to one of the duplicate search locations it reappears when I remove the check...
  8. Windows 10 Search not working - no results returned

in Cortana
    Windows 10 Search not working - no results returned: Windows 10 search bar returns no results. If I restart the Windows Seach service then Search will provided results once before failing again. I have done the following:- Updated Windows Restarted Cortana Changed Pagefile parameters Unistalled Bullguard Anti-virus The...
  9. Search is searching the web again

in Windows 10 Support
    Search is searching the web again: I have just noticed that Search on my PC is suddenly searching the web. It didn't used to.I had that disabled. I don't use Cortana, so that is disabled. However, it seems that Microsoft in their incredible persistence to get hold of all my data, has enabled web search again....
  10. Windows Search returning no results

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Search returning no results: Windows Search returning no results on one of my external harddrives. I've trawled through pages of Google's advice and I have already: Tried indexing the HDD and rebuilding. Non-indexing and rebuilding. Indexing only specific folders on the HDD and rebuilding....