Windows 10: "The program don't support the project"

Discus and support "The program don't support the project" in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have recently upgraded to Windows 10 on an eight year old laptop which previously was running Windows 7. Everything appears to have gone well and I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Marrea, Sep 5, 2015.

1. Marrea Win User

"The program don't support the project"

I have recently upgraded to Windows 10 on an eight year old laptop which previously was running Windows 7. Everything appears to have gone well and I am enjoying the new operating system. However, every time I boot up and get to the desktop a small box appears on the screen with the following wording "Warning. The program don't support the project" with an OK button and an X close button. Clicking on either of these closes the box and I simply carry on as normal. Has anyone else experienced this strange message? What concerns me is the bad grammar "don't support" and I am concerned it might be some sort of malware.

I attach a screenshot.

"The program don't support the project" [​IMG]

:)

Marrea, Sep 5, 2015

2. Lumia " The Future is Here "

This is a support forum, not a complaints department.

I suggest you directly submit your complaints about hardware to Nokia and software to Microsoft.

Also it often helps to read reviews when switching platforms to make sure it suits your needs. From what you've said the Lumia 820 clearly doesn't suit you.

psychomania---01, Sep 5, 2015
  3. fonero Win User
    Lumia " The Future is Here "

psychomania: This is a support forum, not a complaints department.

psychomania: Also it often helps to read reviews when switching platforms to make sure it suits your needs. From what you've said the Lumia 820 clearly doesn't suit you.

What RSXforever wrote was a kind of review, that can help other people to judge, if Lumia is the right phone for them.

fonero, Sep 5, 2015
  4. Tony K Win User

Tony K, Sep 5, 2015
  5. Rocky Win User
    The use of improper grammar would concern me as well. Definitely not Microsoft's MO.

Rocky, Sep 5, 2015
  6. Tony K Win User
    Yes, and run a security scan as well, Marrea.

Tony K, Sep 5, 2015
  7. XweAponX Win User
    I agree, Looks like a virus, check all of your startup programs.

XweAponX, Sep 6, 2015
  8. Marrea Win User

HippsieGypsie

Many thanks for your welcome to the forum. I ran DISM as you suggested and here are the results:

So nothing appears to be amiss there.

Following that I did a complete computer scan with AVG 2015 which found no threats.

Finally I ran Malwarebytes, which reported three PUPs in Registry Keys:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\TWEAKBIT\ATPopups
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\TWEAKBIT\ATUpdaters
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\TWEAKBIT\GoogleAnalyticsPackage

It successfully quarantined those.

Tweakbit was a program I installed to try and find a driver for my ATI Radeon X1600 card because, during the installation of Windows 10, Windows replaced this with MS’s own Basic Display Adapter. However, as it was unable to find a driver, I uninstalled Tweakbit, but it had obviously left some traces in the Registry as program uninstallations often do. I managed to fix the graphics driver problem by installing the Vista driver which I had on a CD which came with the laptop when I originally bought it. Much to my surprise it works in Windows 10!

XweAponX

The Startup tab in Task Manager lists the following:

Apple Push
    AVG User Interface
    CIR Application for Disti (the publisher is stated to be MTC, which I think may be short for Mitac, the makers of my laptop)
    CLIStart.exe (I think this is something to do with ATI Catalyst Control Center)
    Microsoft OneDrive
    O&O DiskImage Tray
    QuickTime Task
    Realtek HD Audio Manager
    ROC_roc_ssl_v12.exe (I think this is something to do with AVG)
    Synaptics Pointing Device starter
    Synaptics TouchPad Enhancements
    VProtect Application (I think this is something to do with AVG)

Do any of those look like they might be causing a problem?

“The program don’t support the project” is still appearing on the Desktop each time I start the computer. I am now wondering whether I should perform a clean installation of Windows 10 to see if that will get rid of this annoyance (my present installation was via the “Upgrade this PC now” option). What do you think?

Marrea, Sep 7, 2015
  9. Tony K Win User
    Hello, Marrea. I see you're making progress. Glad you caught those pups, although that doesn't seem to be the problem. Do you remember installing anything that may have added other programs/crapware without your knowledge?

Since you have AVG is Defender completely shut off? Just for grins, try disabling AVG and anything related reboot to see if that's it. Do not open a browser to go online until AVG is enabled again.

If that's not it, leave it (them) disabled, still do not open a browser to go online, disable everything but the Synaptics and reboot to see.

If that does it, turn them on one by one rebooting in between to see which one does show the warning.

Remember to turn AVG back on before opening a browser, which might take another reboot.

A fresh install may be in order. Surely better than upgrades.

Tony K, Sep 7, 2015
  10. Marrea Win User
    Hi HippsieGypsie

Following your recommended steps in sequence I have now identified the culprit as CIR App for Disti. When this is disabled in Task Manager > Startup items the warning message “The program don’t support the project” does not appear on the Windows Desktop when I boot up.

I have googled and found the following web page about CIR App for Disti
    CIR.exe Windows process - What is it?
    which states:

“CIR.exe is not essential for the Windows OS and causes relatively few problems.”

However, rather worringly, it also states:

“Some malware disguises itself as CIR.exe, particularly when not located in the C:\Windows\System32\drivers folder.”

I have therefore carried out a search on my laptop and CIR.exe appears in the following locations:

C:\Windows.old\Windows\System32\drivers
    C:\Windows.old\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\cir.inf_x86_neutral_de13984cc40286d1
    C:\Windows.old\Windows\Temp
    C:\Windows\System32\drivers
    C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\cir.inf_x86_de13984cc40286d1

The web page about CIR App for Disti suggests using a program called Security Task Manager to check the CIR.exe process to see if it is a threat.

Would you advise me to download and run Security Task Manager, or do the five locations where CIR.exe is found on my laptop look reasonably innocuous to you?

In answer to your query, as far as I am aware I haven’t installed anything since upgrading to Windows 10 which might have added other programs/crapware without my knowledge, apart from Tweakbit which I mentioned in my previous post above but, as I said, I uninstalled that as soon as I realised it was unable to find the necessary graphics driver.

Also, yes, Defender was completely shut off.

Thank you so much for all your help so far. I do appreciate it.

Marrea, Sep 9, 2015
  11. Tony K Win User
    @Marrea

You're welcome. *Smile

Good research there! It states it may be disguised as a virus and we don't if it's legitimate. If so, what program uses it. This is beyond my knowledge, so I can't answer your question as to whether or not to download and run the scan. However, I can point you to a member that may know. He is a security expert who works for a large corporation. Write a visitor message message to View Profile: azasadny - Windows 10 Forums linking this thread to him. I'm quite sure he'd be willing to help. Someone else may have an answer for you also.

Tony K, Sep 10, 2015
  12. GamerwGlasses, Sep 10, 2015
  13. azasadny Win User

I've seen a similar message on my terst PC, after I upgraded it to Win109. It is the Gigabyt overclocking utility causing the message and the software has not been upgraded (and will not be upgraded) to work in Win10. The software works just fine, but the error message pops up every time I power cycle or reboot the PC. The grammar in these things is frequently incorrect, which may lead us to suspect virus or malware activity...

azasadny, Sep 13, 2015
  14. XweAponX Win User
    "ROC_roc_ssl_v12.exe" - that might be something to do with AVG, but it looks like an additional Secure Socket Layer. I had to install OpenSSL to run a script that allowed me to downgrade my iPhone 4S from iOS 8.4 to iOS 6.1.3 (Along with a cracked IPSW file).

I just googled it, it is indeed for AVG. I don't see anything in there that is not legit, but sometimes a rootkit will not show up in the Startup.

XweAponX, Sep 13, 2015
  15. Marrea Win User
    Thanks for this. Since I disabled CIR App for Disti at Startup fortunately I have not received the message again, but I had not previously heard of adwcleaner so I have made a note of it in case it comes in useful in the future.

Marrea, Sep 13, 2015
Thema:

1. "The program don't support the project" - Similar Threads - program don't support

2. is there any under the sun to get support for microsoft and their dumb programs that don't work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    is there any under the sun to get support for microsoft and their dumb programs that don't work: I can't get support no matter what I do how do you get support how do you make your calendar open when they can't even fix it I should have just put all the information on my paper calendar then I would not have this problem dumb computer techs can't even fix their own...
  3. is there any under the sun to get support for microsoft and their dumb programs that don't work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    is there any under the sun to get support for microsoft and their dumb programs that don't work: I can't get support no matter what I do how do you get support how do you make your calendar open when they can't even fix it I should have just put all the information on my paper calendar then I would not have this problem dumb computer techs can't even fix their own...
  4. Don't end support for Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Don't end support for Windows 11: Don't add a end of support for Windows 11 cuz it's the best of all the windows operating systems pls keep it forever https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dont-end-support-for-windows-11/3e216120-3df8-409e-97f0-35637e4a803d
  5. Don't end support for Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Don't end support for Windows 11: Don't add a end of support for Windows 11 cuz it's the best of all the windows operating systems pls keep it forever https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dont-end-support-for-windows-11/3e216120-3df8-409e-97f0-35637e4a803d
  6. Using laptop as second screen for pc. Projection is not supported

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Using laptop as second screen for pc. Projection is not supported: Hello, I'm trying to use my laptop as a second screen for my desktop. However, there's a message in the settings for projection: "This device does not support wireless projection.... " There's no wireless adapter in my pc so I think that might be the issue here? I was...
  7. Programs don't start

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Programs don't start: After updating to the most recent version of Windows 10, I have encountered a few issues. The biggest one is that after signing in and waiting for everything to finish booting, i an unable to open one program on my computer with the exception on the task manager. Is anyone...
  8. Driver Support One programs

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Driver Support One programs: I kept getting messages from "Driver Support One" that my drivers need updating. After a scan they claimed that there were 4 drivers out of date. I was having a lot of trouble with performance of my laptop and I thought that the drivers may have been the problem. After...
  9. Project Cars don't work anymore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Project Cars don't work anymore: Clean installed Windows 10 Pro. Installed ProjectCars and the updates to it. The game will start, but when selecting a racetrack to begin race or qual or testing, it crashes to desktop without any error. Have tried to update everything, windows update, and Nvidia graphic...
  10. Microsoft Bounty Programs Expansion – Azure and Project Spartan

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Bounty Programs Expansion – Azure and Project Spartan: I am excited to announce significant expansions to the Microsoft Bounty Programs. We are evolving the 'Online Services Bug Bounty, launching a new bounty for Project Spartan, and updating the Mitigation Bypass Bounty. This continued evolution includes additions to the...