Windows 10: the selected disk has an MBR partition needs GPT

Discus and support the selected disk has an MBR partition needs GPT in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I upgraded my windows 7 pro to Windows 10 pro and decided to do a clean install. The install partition ( boot partition ) is on a HDD with three... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by reddwarf4ever, Mar 31, 2016.

1. the selected disk has an MBR partition needs GPT

I upgraded my windows 7 pro to Windows 10 pro and decided to do a clean install.

The install partition ( boot partition ) is on a HDD with three other partitions. I tried to install from the Windows 10 disk, created from the downloaded ISO image. but greeted with "windows cannot be installed to this disk. the selected disk has an MBR partition table. windows can only be installed to gpt disks"
    I deleted the partition, hoping it would allow me to reformat it to GPT, but it didn't...
    luckily I had made an image of my boot drive, so am currently ( hopefully ) restoring this. My research says it is possible to convert from MBR to GPT without data loss...I have two of the top HDD manager programs.
    When I first bought the PC I simply formatted the HDD and installd Windows 7, without problems, the other partitions were created later, maybe that's the issue.
    It seems every time I need to do something on my PC ( which I expect not to give problems ) it does.....
    any help would truly be appreciated

:)

reddwarf4ever, Mar 31, 2016
  2. qinada Win User

Windows Installation

On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks. If you use MBR disk, you will receive this error message: Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. You can convert MBR to GPT and try it again.

qinada, Mar 31, 2016
  3. Convert only one partition on the disk from MBR to GPT

I need after a crash ,to reinstall Windows 10 using Micosofts "installation media" but get the following response:

“Windows can not be installed on this drive. The selected disk has an MBR partition table.

On EFI systems, windows can only be installed on GPT disks”.

Does anyone know how and whether it is possible to convert only one partition (of 4) on the disk from MBR to GPT

Kind regards Alex

Alex Vangede, Mar 31, 2016
  4. the selected disk has an MBR partition needs GPT

Think I found the answer, I set DVD boot to legacy and then it keeps and accepts the file system I have....I.e. MBR
    I read that there is nothing to gain from changing / converting to GPT , unless I want a partition greater than 2TB...

thanks

reddwarf4ever, Mar 31, 2016
Thema:

the selected disk has an MBR partition needs GPT

1. the selected disk has an MBR partition needs GPT - Similar Threads - selected disk has

2. The selected disk has an MBR partition table [Fix]

in Windows 10 News
    The selected disk has an MBR partition table [Fix]: [IMG]Some users have reported that when they try to install Windows OS on their hard disk, the installation process is interrupted. As soon as they press the Install now button in the Windows Setup process, the Windows installation fails, and the Windows Setup shows Windows...
  3. Disk partition unknown, not initialized, can't mbr or gpt

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk partition unknown, not initialized, can't mbr or gpt: Two days ago I was cleaning out my PC because it was in dire need of dusting and cleaning, as well as taking out 3 noisy fans and replacing them. After spending 11 hours on trying to get the fans to work, problem #2 was trying to get the monitor to display anything. So...
  4. Disk partition unknown, not initialized, can't mbr or gpt

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk partition unknown, not initialized, can't mbr or gpt: Two days ago I was cleaning out my PC because it was in dire need of dusting and cleaning, as well as taking out 3 noisy fans and replacing them. After spending 11 hours on trying to get the fans to work, problem #2 was trying to get the monitor to display anything. So...
  5. Disk partition unknown, not initialized, can't mbr or gpt

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. GPT needed but disk has OEM partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    GPT needed but disk has OEM partition: Trying to upgrade Windows 10 Home from 32-bit to 64-bit. After booting from the USB flash drive which, following instructions on the MIcrosoft site had the installation media put on it by the Media Creation tool it asks where do you want to install Windows. This shows...
  7. Change MBR partition to GPT, OS and MBR on separate disks

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change MBR partition to GPT, OS and MBR on separate disks: I'm trying to convert my MBR partition (which is on an HDD) to a GPT-based boot record, but my OS install is on an SSD (i.e. a different drive than the MBR). I'm not exactly sure how this happened when I was installing Windows; I think the HDD was set as disk 0 while the SSD...
  8. mbr gpt partition help

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    mbr gpt partition help: hello guys I need help, in windows 10 I converted the ssd disk with mbr partition to gpt using the mbr2gpt / convert command from cmd. Everything works perfect and windows works in uefi mode. but it turns out that I want to install on another partition of another hard drive...
  9. Partition Wizard MBR to GPT

Partition Wizard MBR to GPT: Hi, Attempting to convert a Win 10 64bit installation from MBR to GPT on a Dell E6410 using PartitionWizardPro v10 on a bootable USB. I have ended up with a system which will not boot. I have not used this software before and feel a bit out of my depth here. Before...
  10. utility to convert MBR disk with Windows partitions to GPT?

utility to convert MBR disk with Windows partitions to GPT?: Does this utility exist? I've tried Minitool's free version, which claims to support MBR to GPT conversion, but I got a warning that the disk would not be bootable. I downloaded a trial of the paid Easeus partition manager and when I tried that conversion, I got an...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. selected disk has an mbr need gpt

2. selected disk has mbr need gbt