Windows 10: “The specified network name is no longer available”

Discus and support “The specified network name is no longer available” in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have six systems in my home, five running Windows 10 with the Anniversary update and a sixth that just won’t take it yet, and is stuck with the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JLOB, Oct 17, 2016.

1. JLOB Win User

“The specified network name is no longer available”

I have six systems in my home, five running Windows 10 with the Anniversary update and a sixth that just won’t take it yet, and is stuck with the original Win 10.

All of these are somewhat networked together, along with several more that are not in our home. (I use Hamachi to connect these.) The home systems are ALSO linked to shared storage off the Linksys router.

Recently, my Qosmio 870 developed amnesia when it came to Cortana. Nothing I tried would recover the search engine. Today I tried re-installing Windows 10 Pro from the most current installation download.

Cortana is back in full bloom, and aside for those pesky shortcut arrows returning, all seemed right with the world…

Except!! My router-shared storage is unreachable. I can no longer map to the router. I attempt mapping (\\RouterName\Sharestorage) and get … “The specified network name is no longer available”. All the other systems are fine and I AM online to/with my router.

I reverted the system to “Before the update”, and all is well with the router, but of course I don’t have Cortana.

I’d welcome any advice anyone might offer. I’m not sure what to try next.

Thanks.

:)

2. Specified network name is no longer available

I have 8 pcs network. 5 pc windows 10 installed, 1pc windows 8.1 installed and 2 pcs installed with windows xp.

Recently I have some problem in one windows 10 pc named as server.The pc is shared with all drives.

The pc acts as a server for only sharing a excel sheet.I had Reset the pc as the pc is giving lot of errors.

after resetting the pc the server cannot accessible from windows xp pc but I can access the server pc from all windows 10 and windows 8.1 pc.

Before resetting the pc the server is accessible from all pcs.

The server pc not installed antivirus and windows firewall also is off .

I can ping from windows xp pc to server pc but when access from windows xp pc with name or ip the above error is coming.

When I access the pc from windows xp network places the error is the server is not accessible, you may not have permission to use the network resource.

I had already shared all drives and they are accessed from windows 10 pc but windows xp pc cannot access this share

Thanking you,

Satish Kadam

Satish Kadam 1975, Oct 17, 2016
  3. Specified network name is no longer available

Hi Satish,

It could be an outdated driver or misconfigured settings why this issue occurs. Let's troubleshoot your issue by running the Network Troubleshooter. This troubleshooter can help us to identify the cause of the issue and fix it at the same time.

To run the troubleshooter:

• First, in the search box on the taskbar, type Network troubleshooter.
    • Then, select Identify and repair network problems from the list of results.
    • Lastly, follow the steps in the troubleshooter and see if that fixes the issue.

If the issue still persists, we suggest the following:

1. Download and run the easy fix solution:
    Find and fix problems with wireless and other network adapters.

2. Update the network adapter driver.

To do this:

• In the search box on the taskbar, type Device Manager, and then select
      Device Manager from the list of results.
    • In Device Manager, select Network adapters, then click
      network adapter name.
    • Press and hold (or right-click) the network adapter, and then select
      Update driver.
    • Select Search automatically for updated driver software. Follow the steps, then select
      Close.
    • After installing the updated driver, select Start, then click
      Power.
    • Select Restart if you're asked to restart, and see if that fixes the connection issue.
    3. If Windows can’t find a new driver for your network adapter, visit the PC manufacturer’s website and download the latest network adapter driver from there.

4. Run the HomeGroup Reset troubleshooter.

• Connect your Windows 10 PC to a home network, and make sure no other PCs in the homegroup are connected.
    • Run the
      HomeGroup Reset troubleshooter
    • Select Start, type HomeGroup, select it from the list of results, and then create a new homegroup.

For more troubleshooting steps, please visit these article:

Fix network connection issues in Windows 10.

HomeGroup from start to finish.

Marvelos Reg, Oct 17, 2016
  4. EdTittel Win User

Have you tried using the IP address UNC syntax? It just tried it on my network and was able to type

net use \\192.168.0.2\<sharename>

and immediately got access that way. If you're having trouble with name resolution maybe you can use the IP address instead.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Oct 18, 2016
  5. Bree New Member
    For a Windows 10 PC to be able to see a UNC resource of the form \\<device name>\<share name> then both devices should be in the same Workgroup and Network Discovery should be turned on. It may well be that when you reinstalled Windows 10 it was set to a default Workgroup name different from that of your router.

My router came pre-configured with a Workgroup of HOME. There are no user settings to change this, so all PC on my network (W10, W7, XP and on rare occasions W95) have to be set to be in the HOME Workgroup. They can all see each other's shares and a USB HDD shared by plugging it into the USB port on my router.

To check/change the Workgroup of a W10 system, go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\System and click 'Advanced system settings' (or just type Workgroup in the Search box). Look on the 'Computer name' tab.

For Network Discovery settings, go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Centre\Advanced sharing settings

6. bro67 Win User
    Sounds like the Router needs to be turned off and back on to clear its temporary storing of the network info, same as the devices need to have the cache, etc. cleared to flush out old information.

bro67, Oct 18, 2016
  7. M4v3r1ck Win User
    Hi Ed, worked for me, as both my Windows 10 and NAS DS1812 are in "WORKGROUP",but in Windows 10 Finder I have no luck conncting to it. I reset the Credential Managers login (Enterprise)

Code: Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393] (c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\Windows\system32>net use \\DS1812 System error 53 has occurred. The network path was not found. C:\Windows\system32>net use \\DS1812.local System error 53 has occurred. The network path was not found. C:\Windows\system32>net use \\192.168.178.125 The password or user name is invalid for \\192.168.178.125. Enter the user name for '192.168.178.125': ***** Enter the password for 192.168.178.125: The command completed successfully. C:\Windows\system32>[/quote]
    EDIT: some more basic network tests:

Code: C:\Windows\system32>ping 192.168.178.125 Pinging 192.168.178.125 with 32 bytes of data: Reply from 192.168.178.125: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64 Reply from 192.168.178.125: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64 Reply from 192.168.178.125: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64 Reply from 192.168.178.125: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64 Ping statistics for 192.168.178.125: Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss), Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds: Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms[/quote]
    Code: C:\Windows\system32>net view 192.168.178.125 Shared resources at 192.168.178.125 Share name Type Used as Comment ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- backup Disk Backups home Disk home homes Disk user home music Disk System default shared folder photo Disk System default shared folder Plex Disk Plex Media Library surveillance Disk System default shared folder Time Machine Disk Apple Time Machine Backups video Disk System default shared folder web Disk System default shared folder The command completed successfully. C:\Windows\system32>[/quote]
    So I (and a lot more users) are stil left SUFFERING from this crazy error. I also have some very strange issues with the NVidia 373.06 WHQL drivers. NO, these late updates DON'T JUST WORK!!! /rant

Overall very disappointed in these latest flaws in M$ updates/grades!

Cheers

M4v3r1ck, Oct 18, 2016
  8. M4v3r1ck Win User

FWIW to others users: RESOLVED my network issue!

It seems that the latest AE 1607 build and updates KILLED my bridge (2 GB/s) of 2 NIC's in my Mac Pro. Deleted the bridge, disabled 1/2 NIC's in Device Manager and set up a new WLAN:

“The specified network name is no longer available” [​IMG]

Code: Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393] (c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\Windows\system32>net view Server Name Remark ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- \\DS1812 \\WIN10PROX64 Windows 10 Professional x64 - 1607 \\ZIGGO-NAS TC7200-DMS Gateway The command completed successfully. C:\Windows\system32>net view \\DS1812 Shared resources at \\DS1812 Share name Type Used as Comment ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- backup Disk Backups home Disk home homes Disk user home music Disk System default shared folder photo Disk System default shared folder Plex Disk Plex Media Library surveillance Disk System default shared folder Time Machine Disk Apple Time Machine Backups video Disk System default shared folder web Disk System default shared folder The command completed successfully. C:\Windows\system32>[/quote]
    Cheers

M4v3r1ck, Oct 18, 2016
  9. JLOB Win User
    Ed,

Thanks but that didn't do it.

10. JLOB Win User
    Tried that. No joy. Thanks for trying, however.

11. EdTittel Win User
    Are you sure you have the right IP address for the remote device with the shared resource? In my experience if you haven't changed the default address, it's 192.168.0.1 for most routers (but sometimes 192.168.1.1). Get yourself an IP scanning utility and confirm that the address is correct, or run ipconfig and use the address for the "default gateway" as shown here:

The address I gave you was just an example (it's actually the address from my wife's PC on my LAN, to which I navigated to make sure the syntax was correct and acceptable to Windows 10).
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Oct 18, 2016
  12. JLOB Win User
    Ed,

This gets curiouser and curiouser! The default gateway is 192.168.1.1. I CANNOT connect using that IP and the latest update. I reverted to my previous Win 10 build and can easily connect using the IP rather than the \\Shamrock-2. Of course, there’s no Cortana. I'm missing something somewhere.

13. EdTittel Win User

Are you sure? I think MICROSOFT is missing something somewhere in the latest release. Communications are so adapter dependent, it's probably something at or near the device level. They tweaked something that messes with name resolution or share access. I'll be darned if I can come up with more ideas to help you out, though. I've reached the limits of my (in)competence. Let's just hope another cumulative update comes along to fix this problem. To that end, please be sure to file a report with the Feedback Hub, and include a link to this forum thread to provide further documentation.
    Sigh,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Oct 19, 2016
  14. M4v3r1ck Win User
    The Windows 10 update .351 did NOT solve my Bridged Network adapter issues. Very strange, because this bridge set-up used to work flawless in Windows 8.1 Pro x64.

Cheers

M4v3r1ck, Oct 29, 2016
  15. Samuria Win User
    Which of is the master browser locally NetBIOS is used to find things not DNS a PC doesn't look for things it asks master browser for a list if that hasn't updated it only gives a cached copy

Samuria, Oct 29, 2016
Thema:

1. “The specified network name is no longer available” - Similar Threads - “The specified network

2. The specified network name is no longer available

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The specified network name is no longer available: My nas could not be connected this morning. During this time, I also used cmd to ping. The workstation and server services that are both available and checked are normal. The computer has also been restarted, but I hope you can help me solve the problem. Thank you...
  3. The specified network name is no longer available

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The specified network name is no longer available: My nas could not be connected this morning. During this time, I also used cmd to ping. The workstation and server services that are both available and checked are normal. The computer has also been restarted, but I hope you can help me solve the problem. Thank you...
  4. The specified network name is no longer available

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. network name no longer available

in Windows 10 Gaming
    network name no longer available: I am being driven to distraction by the apparently random behavior of Windows 11 networking. I have a legacy NAS device that I can ping, but when I attempt to use net view, I get an error, if I try to access it using Win-key+R and type in the IP address, I get a message that...
  6. network name no longer available

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    network name no longer available: I am being driven to distraction by the apparently random behavior of Windows 11 networking. I have a legacy NAS device that I can ping, but when I attempt to use net view, I get an error, if I try to access it using Win-key+R and type in the IP address, I get a message that...
  7. Can't access mapped network drive by name - "The specified network name is no longer available"

Can't access mapped network drive by name - "The specified network name is no longer available": Hello, recently I'm having a hard time accessing a network mapped drive by name. Access by IP works just fine, by name rarely works, always gives us a error "The specified network name is no longer available". I've managed to track down when it all started going wrong, and...
  8. Specified network name is no longer available

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Specified network name is no longer available: I use one Win10 PC as server to share files, and some Win10 PC as client to visit it. Other clients is ok, one client can not visit server by \\192.168.xxx.xxxserver ip with user and password set by "net use" command. the error is "Specified network name is no longer...
  9. Error 0x80070037: The specified network resource or device is no longer available

in Windows 10 News
    Error 0x80070037: The specified network resource or device is no longer available: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]If you see a message An unexpected error is keeping you from copying the file, with Error 0x80070037, The specified network resource or device is no longer available then know that it may occur when the power supply to the [...] This post Error 0x80070037:...
  10. The specified network provider name is invalid

The specified network provider name is invalid: My internet connection is working, everything is OK, but... I cannot share any folder on my PC. I haven't used sharing several months now, It was working perfect back then. *Huh The problem: [img] [img] [img] [img] [img] Some screens of current network...