Windows 10: The specified network password is not correct

Discus and support The specified network password is not correct in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My desktop and laptop are both running Windows 10, and I sign into both computers using my e-mail address and password from Office 365. On each... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by wjs4, Nov 8, 2015.

1. wjs4 Win User

The specified network password is not correct

My desktop and laptop are both running Windows 10, and I sign into both computers using my e-mail address and password from Office 365. On each computer I have enabled sharing for each drive with the permissions I want. I am not using the HomeGroup feature because I want to share entire drives, and the help for HomeGroup says it shares a very limited set of folders.

When I try to access either computer from the other, it asks for my credentials and I give the same e-mail and password I use to sign in. The response from Windows is "The specified network password is not correct."

I have seen a number of posts about this message, but no solutions that worked for me. Many solutions involve entering the computer name as the domain, which I don't think is applicable, since I am signing in with my Microsoft e-mail. I tried entering the computer name anyway, and it did not work. I have also tried updating my credentials with the Credential Manager, and (when that did not work) deleting the credentials and re-entering them when asked, still to no avail.

Can anyone help? Thanks so much.

:)

wjs4, Nov 8, 2015
  2. Kapil Arya MVP, Nov 8, 2015
  3. "The specified network password is not correct."

Hello,

Thanks for your time.

Unfortunately though, it didn't work.

Any more ideas?

martymoo33, Nov 8, 2015
  4. spapakons Win User

When using a password to access shared resources, the host (the computer that has the resource) expects a local password, so even if the username and passwords are common on both computers, it won't accept it. You have to use hostname\username to tell the host to use the local user name and password. A better alternative is to turn off password sharing in Advanced Sharing options.

spapakons, Nov 8, 2015
  5. wjs4 Win User
    Thank you, spapakons.

I had already tried using hostname\username, but my username is an Office 365 e-mail that is not connected to any host name. Could it be that you can't share using that kind of username? If so, the error message is grossly misleading and it's a very unfortunate thing not to support.

I went to "Advanced Sharing Settings" and managed to find "Password Protected Sharing" under "All Networks." I turned it off on both computers, and then got the following message from each computer when trying to access the other:

The specified network password is not correct [​IMG]

wjs4, Nov 8, 2015
  6. spapakons Win User
    The username must be that of an account on the host, not one used only on a specific application. The other problem you got means that you have to change the access rights. Right-click on the shared folder and select Properties. Go to the Security tab and click Edit, then Add. Type Everyone and click OK to add the "Everyone" user in the list. Then check the Full Control box (all other boxes should check automatically) to give full access to any user connected to that share.

spapakons, Nov 8, 2015
  7. wjs4 Win User
    Thank you again.

I have already granted full control to "Everyone."
    It sounds like I need to create a different kind of account just for sharing. My e-mail is the way I sign on and it is the administrator. This is what Windows seemed to suggest during installation, and it works well otherwise. I can try creating a local account for the purpose and then using hostname\LocalAccountName for sharing.

wjs4, Nov 8, 2015
  8. spapakons Win User

Maybe you can use a local account only, not a Microsoft account...

spapakons, Nov 8, 2015
  9. wjs4 Win User
    I created a local account called LocalSharing, granted it full control to drive E, and tried to sign on using hostname\LocalSharing and the password I just gave to LocalSharing. Once again, I got "The specified network password is not correct."

I had some difficulty creating the local account. Windows really wanted me to create a Microsoft account, but by going through enough "advanced" options, I got it done. However, when I created the local account, I could not see any other accounts, like the ones for the system, SQL Server, and the like. I could not see them even when I went in through the Control Panel Desktop App, so there must be some other way of maintaining and creating those accounts -- a way I haven't found yet.

wjs4, Nov 8, 2015
  10. spapakons Win User
    I don't know if this works in Windows 10 Home, but in Windows 10 Pro you can manage groups and accounts from Computer Management. Right-click on This PC and select Manage to open Computer Management. Then expand Local users and groups. Click on Users and then right-click and select New User.

spapakons, Nov 8, 2015
  11. wjs4 Win User
    Thank you. I can open Computer Management and see that the account I created is correct. I can also see the other accounts that I couldn't see the other way.

However, I still can't connect the two computers, and still have the same message.

Thema:

1. The specified network password is not correct - Similar Threads - specified network password

2. Cannot share a folder between Windows 11 PCs. "The specified network password is not correct"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot share a folder between Windows 11 PCs. "The specified network password is not correct": I have a desktop and a laptop which both run Windows 11. I am trying to share a folder from my PC to my Laptop. When I try to access the folder on the laptop using the path: `//DESKTOP/Installers` Installers is the shared folder. I get a "The specified network password is not...
  3. Cannot share a folder between Windows 11 PCs. "The specified network password is not correct"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot share a folder between Windows 11 PCs. "The specified network password is not correct": I have a desktop and a laptop which both run Windows 11. I am trying to share a folder from my PC to my Laptop. When I try to access the folder on the laptop using the path: `//DESKTOP/Installers` Installers is the shared folder. I get a "The specified network password is not...
  4. The network folder specified is currently mapped using a different user name and password

in Windows 10 News
    The network folder specified is currently mapped using a different user name and password: If when you try to map a network drive in Windows 10, but you are unable to map a drive or connect a drive remotely with the error message The network folder specified is currently mapped using a different user name and password, then this post is intended to help you with...
  5. correct password not recognized

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    correct password not recognized: win 10 wont recognize my correct password. I cant get past the opening screen. tried all the fixes i saw on line. nothing works. Not a tech guy and need the computer. frustrated. Any fixes microsoft???...
  6. Not accepting correct password

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Not accepting correct password: For some reason my laptop rebooting continuosly blue screen. After surfing online I came to know this can fixed through commands. Before command prompt pops up, it asked me to enter my outlook password. No matter how many times I entered the correct password it shows...
  7. "The specified network password is not correct."

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "The specified network password is not correct.": Months ago I mapped a drive on my Windows 10 v. 2004 laptop to my desktop, both on an ethernet connection, using net use z: \\192.168.0.103\d /p:yes /user:{username} {password} This has worked fine for months, but today, having made no changes I'm aware of, when I tried to...
  8. Specifying network interfaces for apps

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Specifying network interfaces for apps: I'd try to clarify the title using an example. I have two available network interfaces: Interface A: Wifi (Example IP: 192.168.1.82) Interface B: Mobile/Metric (Example IP: 197.7.24.16) What I'm trying to do is: Run steam (Or any other app) using Interface A (wifi) for...
  9. Enter Network Credentials Refuses Correct Home Network Password

Enter Network Credentials Refuses Correct Home Network Password: As of this week I have two desktop computers on my home network, one a 10-year-old Windows 7 with a 2-year-old SSD HD, the other a new Windows 10 model. Every time I attempt to save or open anything cross network from one computer to the other, or access the other computer's...
  10. Why the specified network password is not correct?

Why the specified network password is not correct?: Why the specified network password is not correct? My password is CORRECT!! It's a good password and the only password used on these computers. When I try to network from my win 10 laptop to win 10 desktop I get this error message? I went to Control Panel Networking and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. The specified network password is not correct.

2. specified network password is not correct

3. specifed network password not correct

4. specified network password is not correct when mapping to a pc,
  5. this network password is not correct mapping,
  6. the specifed network password is not correct windows 10,
  7. specified network password,
  8. the specified network password is not correct windows 10