Windows 10: The Target of this Internet Shortcut is not valid!

Discus and support The Target of this Internet Shortcut is not valid! in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Hi, Just turned computer on, and upon starting found "File Explorer" icon in Taskbar to be "flashing" together with the error message..... The Target... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by pob786, Aug 10, 2016.

1. pob786 Win User

The Target of this Internet Shortcut is not valid!

Hi,
    Just turned computer on, and upon starting found "File Explorer" icon in Taskbar to be "flashing" together with the error message..... The Target of this Internet Shortcut is not valid!
    I am using Mozilla Firefox as opposed to Internet Explorer, (IE being turned off).
    Anyone have any experience/information to resolve the problem
    Thank you and regards,
    John P.

:)

pob786, Aug 10, 2016
  2. gohanman Win User

How do you create a shortcut to a URL in Windows 10

I have a brand new win10 install. Creating shortcuts to URLs appears to be completely and utterly broken.

I'm right clicking the Desktop, picking New => Shortcut, pasting in a URL, and clicking through next & finish.

Issues # 1:

When I click finish, I'm prompted for an administrator password. If I enter an admin password, I then get an error dialog saying the shortcut cannot be created - but the shortcut is in fact created. If I click No without entering an admin password, I get
    an error dialog saying the shortcut cannot be created - but again the shortcut is in fact created.

Issue #2:

The shortcut it creates doesn't work. It gives the error "The target of this Internet Shortcut is not valid. Go to the Internet Shortcut property sheet and make sure the target is correct."
    However, the property sheet for the shortcut does not have a "Web Document" tab so there's no way to verify or correct the target.

gohanman, Aug 10, 2016
  3. Default Program setting on Windows 10

I added some details about the issue.

- I found this issue when I got the message, "the target of this internet shortcut is not valid".

- I figured out that a function to change the default program was not working after reset.

- I don't have any error messages.

- I didn't make any changes on my computer. It was happened yesterday.

I tried the solution you linked, but it is not working. Nothing changed.

Jiyoung Kim, Aug 10, 2016
  4. The Target of this Internet Shortcut is not valid!

Can u be more specific,
    It comes as a POPup as soon as turn it on or when u click on file explorer.

manish9009, Aug 10, 2016
  5. pob786 Win User
    Hi, It comes as a POPup when turned on !
    Regards,
    John P.

pob786, Aug 10, 2016
  6. An unwanted startup.
    1. Open Task Manager and disable all the startups.
    2. Open Task Scheduler >> Task Sch Library... Select all tasks and delete.

U can also use following utility to see all the Auto startup items.
    Autoruns for Windows

manish9009, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

The Target of this Internet Shortcut is not valid!

1. The Target of this Internet Shortcut is not valid! - Similar Threads - Target Internet Shortcut

2. Problem with Shortcut "Specfied in the target path is not Valid"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with Shortcut "Specfied in the target path is not Valid": I need to copy a new shortcut to Users PC. I am trying to create the shortcut on my PC but I do not have the program installed. "Office 2016 Standard x86" . I have O365 installed.Windows will not let me create a shortcut to a path that does not exist.yes i could create on...
  3. Problem with Shortcut "Specfied in the target path is not Valid"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with Shortcut "Specfied in the target path is not Valid": I need to copy a new shortcut to Users PC. I am trying to create the shortcut on my PC but I do not have the program installed. "Office 2016 Standard x86" . I have O365 installed.Windows will not let me create a shortcut to a path that does not exist.yes i could create on...
  4. Problem with Shortcut "Specfied in the target path is not Valid"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. How to edit the Target of a shortcut in windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to edit the Target of a shortcut in windows 11: I am the administrator of my PC and I am trying to edit the Target in a created shortcut from Xbox Game Pass but the Target box is greyed out and cannot be edited. Is there a way to do this in windows 11?...
  6. How to edit the Target of a shortcut in windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to edit the Target of a shortcut in windows 11: I am the administrator of my PC and I am trying to edit the Target in a created shortcut from Xbox Game Pass but the Target box is greyed out and cannot be edited. Is there a way to do this in windows 11?...
  7. "The target "" of this Internet Shortcut is not valid." Windows 10 Pro

"The target "" of this Internet Shortcut is not valid." Windows 10 Pro: I've made a custom PC, been working fine. First time it crashed, had to reinstall windows after a lot of difficulty. After the re-installation, a few days later, most of my applications' icons vanish. They look like white papers, with the top right folded. Some applications...
  8. Use clipboard contents in shortcut target

Use clipboard contents in shortcut target: Hello, I need to have the part of the target in my shortcut change automatically with my clipboard contents. How could I achieve this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/use-clipboard-contents-in-shortcut-target/5824a36f-5f83-48a6-aa5f-f559aa8487b2
  9. Finding the target file of a keyboard shortcut

in Windows 10 Support
    Finding the target file of a keyboard shortcut: Short version of my question: I'd like to change a keyboard shortcut that starts an app, but I've forgotten the location of the shortcut file that is targeted by the relevant keystrokes. How can I change the keyboard shortcut? Longer version of my question: I originally set...
  10. Unable to edit target location on shortcuts

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to edit target location on shortcuts: Good day team, This is my first ever post here. I have browsed all over the internet for an answer but I just can't seem to find it. I am an avid Simcity 4 player, and I alwyas have to edit the target location of my shortcut in order to modify some tings like: skipping the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. internet shortcut property sheet windows 10

2. internet shortcut property sheet

3. internet shortcut property sheet target

4. the target of this internet shortcut,
  5. The target of this internet shortcut is not valid,
  6. internet shortcut sheet,
  7. internet shortcut property window 10,
  8. internet shortcut property sheet error,
  9. the target of this shortcut is not valid windows 10,
  10. target of internet shortcut is not valid,
  11. internet shortcut property,