Windows 10: The taskbar keeps changing monitors

Discus and support The taskbar keeps changing monitors in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I am having a odd problem that my searching and googling has not been able to solve. I will get very specific as to help you try to help me.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Fyrepony, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Fyrepony Win User

The taskbar keeps changing monitors

Hello, I am having a odd problem that my searching and googling has not been able to solve. I will get very specific as to help you try to help me.

System as follows.
    Windows 10 Enterprise
    Asus Rampage V Extreme X99
    Intel Core i7 5930K (overclocked at 4.4Ghz)
    32 Gb of Gskill 2666 DDR4.
    Evga GTX 1080 FTW (Video card #1)
    Evga GTX 970 FTW (Video card #2)

I am running (4) Monitors. (3) of the monitors are connected to (Video card #1) using Nvidia Surround mode. The systems sees this as Primary monitor #1 At a resolution of 5760X1080. (Video card #2) is running (1) Lg Ultrawide 21:9 monitor the system sees this as monitor #2 At a resolution of 2560X1080. Inside the settings for the computer it only see (2) display monitors for all practical reasons. The configuration is (3) on bottom (1) on top.

All of this works fine, now here is the problem. I want my task bar to be on monitor #2. So I drag the task bar onto the bottom of the monitor and lock it. This works fine. The problem comes up when I reboot the computer or shut down the system. When the computer first enters windows (after log in) The task bar is located were I left it, Bottom of Monitor #2. Then after a few seconds It pops down to the bottom of the first monitor (or the span set up) Then I have to move it back.

The reason I need the task bar at the upper monitor is I like to play games but I want to be be able to watch streams and videos. So if I have a task bar on both monitors it makes my game window smaller cuz I have to run them in a boardless window mode so I can seamlessly move between monitors.

Ok I know that's a ton of info, but I did not want to leave any thing out that may be important. This is a real frustration for me and I would welcome any help any one may offer thank you.

:)

Fyrepony, Oct 19, 2016
  2. Kyle8094 Win User

How can i get my two monitors to switch assignments?

I have a 2 monitor setup. A bigger one on the right and a smaller on the left. Windows 10 keeps assigning the smaller monitor as monitor 1 and putting my main taskbar over there while keeping a smaller taskbar on my important side. I need to switch these
    two. Any advice would be appreciated.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Kyle8094, Oct 19, 2016
  3. Taskbar in Windows 10

I have two monitors. I adjusted the size of the taskbar on both of them to be bigger than standard.

Ever since I have updated to the Creators update, the size of the taskbar on the secondary monitors after a reboot defaults back to the regular size. On the main monitor, the size get's saved, and after a reboot is restored to the set value.

Experimenting with changing all kinds of settings of the taskbar does not change this behavior.

How to fix this?

Thanks

Joerg

Joerg Poetzsch, Oct 19, 2016
  4. djducky Win User

Did you ever get this sorted... Mine started the same thing, no third party software, I have 4 monitors (one over three[nvidia surround]) but when I start up windows, taskbar starts on upper monitor where I want to keep it... it seems like if something gets added to taskbar during startup, it moves to the right side of my lower surround monitors... If I lock it, it moves still but remains locked, so I have to unlock it to drag it back up top.

djducky, Feb 2, 2017
Thema:

1. The taskbar keeps changing monitors - Similar Threads - taskbar keeps changing

2. Dual monitor option keeps changing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual monitor option keeps changing: I have a small windows laptop hooked up through an HDMI adapter to an overhead projector. Our display settings are set to Duplicate Monitors but sometimes, without warning the laptop resets the selected settings and only displays the second monitor making the laptop screen go...
  3. Dual monitor option keeps changing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dual monitor option keeps changing: I have a small windows laptop hooked up through an HDMI adapter to an overhead projector. Our display settings are set to Duplicate Monitors but sometimes, without warning the laptop resets the selected settings and only displays the second monitor making the laptop screen go...
  4. Dual monitor option keeps changing

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. How to auto hide taskbar on main monitor, but keep other monitor taskbar static?

How to auto hide taskbar on main monitor, but keep other monitor taskbar static?: I was wondering how you could keep the auto hide taskbar only on the first monitor like in the images below, and the other monitor taskbar showing? Is it possible? Thanks in advance!I just took these pictures by turning on autohide on the first picture, and turning off...
  6. Dual monitor taskbars keep swapping?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual monitor taskbars keep swapping?: Hey all, I've recently picked up a second monitor. I was able to pretty easily figure out how to unlock the taskbar at the bottom and move it to the rightmost screen's bottom right corner (as opposed to the left, where it was sitting), and relock them. However, every once...
  7. Dual Monitor Wallpaper Keeps Changing

Dual Monitor Wallpaper Keeps Changing: So I have a dual monitor display setup. An LG Ultragear 1440 landscape and my secondary monitor LG Ultragear 1080p vertical. I want to have different wallpapers on each monitor. For whatever reason my primary monitor will change the wallpaper to the same wallpaper as the...
  8. Main taskbar keeps coming back to primary monitor

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Main taskbar keeps coming back to primary monitor: Hi, I have two monitors. On the first I watch videos in full screen and play games. On the second I tend to leave browsers open with pages or YouTube videos. So I unlock and drag the taskbar to the secondary display so I can see the clock and notification area while gaming....
  9. Secondary Monitor keeps glitching Windows 10 Taskbar

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Secondary Monitor keeps glitching Windows 10 Taskbar: I'm running my main monitor dell SP2008wfp just fine on my desktop computer running Windows 10, but I am trying to get an older Acer x173w hooked up as a secondary. As soon as the Acer is connected to the computer using its only native port, a VGA which I am hooking into a...
  10. Taskbar keeps moving back to primary monitor

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar keeps moving back to primary monitor: Pretty much as the title says. My task bar is locked and located on the right-hand side of my second monitor. Occasionally I'll go for it and realize that it is now located on the right-hand side of my primary monitor. Most recently this happened after bringing my computer...