Windows 10: The Undeletable Folder

Discus and support The Undeletable Folder in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there. Yesterday there popped up a folder on my C: drive that is being absolutely stubborn and I can't get it deleted. Things I've tried so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by LovingWindows, Sep 30, 2017.

1. The Undeletable Folder

Hi there.

Yesterday there popped up a folder on my C: drive that is being absolutely stubborn and I can't get it deleted.

Things I've tried so far:

• Select folder, press delete key
    • Right click folder, select delete option
    • Rebooted into safe mode to try and delete it
    • Tried to take ownership manually
    • Tried to take ownership with script

I still can't get this folder deleted and it's kinda driving me nuts. Anytime I've tried to delete it or look at it (outside of safemode) it says I need permission from SYSTEM.

Image of folder is attached to post.

:)

LovingWindows, Sep 30, 2017

2. Recovering deleted folders containing important emails in Windows Live Mail (Windows 10 64 Bit)

Hi,

I looked at this but it only seems to undelete files if the folder is still in place. If I'm wrong and it can undelete complete folders and their contents please let me know and I'd willingly give it a whirl!

Cheers,

Ian

IanMaynard, Sep 30, 2017
  3. Joe1959 Win User
    Windows 10: Undelete files

I accidentally deleted files from the pictures folder. They're not in the recycle bin. How can I undelete these files?

There use to be an undelete function in DOS. Did we discontinue it?

Thanks

Windows 10 Home

Joe1959, Sep 30, 2017
  4. Edwin New Member

The Undeletable Folder

It's probably in use.
    What is it? Can you attach some more screenshots, perhaps of the photo files?

Edwin, Sep 30, 2017
  5. Barman58 Win User
    Looks like an update of some kind, or a setup that's gone wrong, Check the tutorials here for how to enable the hidden administrator account - try sorting the folder out with this ( and then optionally give the Hidden admin account a strong password (write this down and put it some where safe,) and disable the account again). This account has authority over all other accounts including System, your Administrative account, and Trusted Installer so is useful in these cases, but is too dangerous to be left active (Just my opinion; based on years of experience and many occasions re-installing systems due to this account being left active)

Barman58, Sep 30, 2017
  6. Barman58 Win User
    KB2565063 is the title of one of the files in the folder - this purports to be an old update to close a vulnerability in Visual Studio Tools from 2010 so may be related to some program you have recently installed that requires the tools

Barman58, Sep 30, 2017
  7. I did notice the image thumbnails appeared in safemode and it was the Microsoft Visual Studio logo thing, so went and checked under uninstall programs and noticed that 2010 had been installed.

Uninstalled both x86 and x64 VS2010, rebooted and still can't delete the folder. Even tried the built-in administrator account, says I still need permission from SYSTEM and still unable to take ownership.

LovingWindows, Sep 30, 2017
  8. Cliff S New Member

The Undeletable Folder

Cliff S, Sep 30, 2017
  9. Barman58 Win User
    The uninstalling of an application whilst it has an update in progress ( or stalled ) can cause issues that are only solvable by a re-install of the system - you could try reinstalling the app and see if that does any good but would follow Cliff's above suggestion first - If the hidden administrator is not able to force removal it normally means that a reinstall may be the only solution so you need to decide if the presence of this folder is actually causing any issue or is just annoying which would not need the reinstall

Barman58, Sep 30, 2017
  10. Thanks for the help.

As far as reinstall of Windows 10 goes, I'm overdue for my yearly format and reinstall of Windows anyways. Probably will do that tonight!

Cheers for the help everyone.

LovingWindows, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

The Undeletable Folder

1. The Undeletable Folder - Similar Threads - Undeletable Folder

2. Undeletable folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Undeletable folders: Hi guys,I have installed Windows 11 and right after that, I set everything to go on another partition so my C: Disk be only for Windows and future updates, nothing else. On my other partition, these 3 folders appeared from nowhere from my new settings in...
  3. Undeletable folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Undeletable folders: Hi guys,I have installed Windows 11 and right after that, I set everything to go on another partition so my C: Disk be only for Windows and future updates, nothing else. On my other partition, these 3 folders appeared from nowhere from my new settings in...
  4. I went in safe mode and try to delete this application or so called undeleteable folder but...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I went in safe mode and try to delete this application or so called undeleteable folder but...: plss respond a correct method because i have try some methods they were failed https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-went-in-safe-mode-and-try-to-delete-this/175ae41c-9954-41e3-a4a1-42d03b8b28d9
  5. I went in safe mode and try to delete this application or so called undeleteable folder but...

I went in safe mode and try to delete this application or so called undeleteable folder but...: plss respond a correct method because i have try some methods they were failed https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-went-in-safe-mode-and-try-to-delete-this/175ae41c-9954-41e3-a4a1-42d03b8b28d9
  6. How to remove "undeletable" 0-byte folders?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to remove "undeletable" 0-byte folders?: Hi,I was attempting to use robocopy to copy some files from "Documents" to my backup drive. However, it seems to have also copied a sort of non-functioning, 0-byte version of the "Pictures" and "Music" folder but not the actual folders; those are still functioning as normal...
  7. How to remove "undeletable" 0-byte folders?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove "undeletable" 0-byte folders?: Hi,I was attempting to use robocopy to copy some files from "Documents" to my backup drive. However, it seems to have also copied a sort of non-functioning, 0-byte version of the "Pictures" and "Music" folder but not the actual folders; those are still functioning as normal...
  8. How to remove "undeletable" 0-byte folders?

9. Undeletable Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Undeletable Folder: There are a bunch of folders that have randomly appeared in my file explorer with no name or properties whatsoever. Nothing. Can't delete or rename them and the only options I have are to mark the folders as Read-only, Hidden, or Archive, but even then it just says the path...
  10. Undeletable folder

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Undeletable folder: Hello. I have been trying to delete a folder that is specifically filled with the file called image share. But no matter what I tried it won't delete and my computer would end up freezing.When I try to delete it, it would simply display...