Windows 10: The Username or password in incorrect. Try Again

Discus and support The Username or password in incorrect. Try Again in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; The installation of Windows 10 Pro 64 bit on my PC is only a couple of months old and was going fine until I decided I didn't need a Login password and... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Hobartian, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Hobartian Win User

The Username or password in incorrect. Try Again

The installation of Windows 10 Pro 64 bit on my PC is only a couple of months old and was going fine until I decided I didn't need a Login password and unticked the relevant box in User Accounts.

Now when I start the computer I get the following message on the startup screen 'The username or password is incorrect. Try Again.

I then enter my user name and password but these are not accepted after trying on numerous occasions.

The only way I can start Windows is by inserting my Microsoft Login details.

Could someone please advise how to rectify the problem.

:)

Hobartian, Jul 16, 2017
  2. GarCooper Win User

Getting "the username or password is incorrect try again" with initial login.

Hi

Since I JUST upgraded to Win 10 and that didn't repair the problem, I would rather try your last suggestion as a last resort. Do you have any other things I could try first?

Gar

GarCooper, Jul 16, 2017
  3. Getting "the username or password is incorrect try again" with initial login.

Hello Gar,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and we regret for the inconvenience. Let me assist you.

Now, to be able to assist you better, let us know a few more details on the below questions.

• What is the edition of Windows 10 you are using?

Visit:
      Which Windows operating system am I running?
    • Are you currently using a Local user account or a Microsoft Account?
    • When do you receive this error message? Also, are you able to normally login to desktop?
    • What are the related error messages when you say 'prevents me from setting up a network'?

Write to us with the updated status of the issue for us to be able to assist you further.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Jul 16, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Hobartian, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

If you mean that you unchecked the Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer box in netplwiz, then you may have just entered an incorrect password in netplwiz causing the error message at startup.

If this is the case, then you can go back and setup netplwiz again to enter the password again to make sure it's correct, and see if that may help.

*Arrow Sign in User Account Automatically at Windows 10 Startup Windows 10 User Accounts Tutorials

Brink, Jul 16, 2017
  5. Hobartian Win User
    Thanks Brink for your response.

I followed your advice and ticked the box Users must enter............. and set up a new pin number.

When I restarted the computer I entered the new pin and everything was OK. Again I went to netplwiz and unchecked the relevant box and when I restarted the computer I again got the message 'The user name or password is incorrect!

Somewhat odd isn't it?

Hobartian, Jul 18, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It sounds like you may be entering the incorrect "password" when setting up netplwiz.

Brink, Jul 18, 2017
  7. Hobartian Win User
    I think the problem has been resolved.

After unticking the box in netplwiz there is a request to enter a username and password.

I was entering the correct username but I was entering my pin number instead of my Microsoft password.

When I switched to the Microsoft password the computer now starts without any error messages.

Thanks Brink for your help.

Hobartian, Jul 19, 2017
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Great news. *Party

That would be why then. Your PIN isn't the password.

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. The Username or password in incorrect. Try Again - Similar Threads - Username password incorrect

2. the password is incorrect, try again.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    the password is incorrect, try again.: hello, i have a lot of problemfirst my computer cant Insert the password like this "Something happened and your PIN isn't available. Click to set up your PIN again.Set up my PIN"and than i ask to Microsoft answers, and them told me to follow this link...
  3. the password is incorrect, try again.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    the password is incorrect, try again.: hello, i have a lot of problemfirst my computer cant Insert the password like this "Something happened and your PIN isn't available. Click to set up your PIN again.Set up my PIN"and than i ask to Microsoft answers, and them told me to follow this link...
  4. the password is incorrect, try again.

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. The password is incorrect. Try again

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The password is incorrect. Try again: This computer now requires my microsoft password. I didnt know it, so I logged in and changed it. The computer refuses to accept the new password and wont let me boot up normally...
  6. The password is incorrect. Try again

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The password is incorrect. Try again: This computer now requires my microsoft password. I didnt know it, so I logged in and changed it. The computer refuses to accept the new password and wont let me boot up normally...
  7. "The password is incorrect. Try again."

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "The password is incorrect. Try again.": I thought I knew my password but it doesn't work. I am the only user on this computer. I am offered NO options on the sign-in screen. So how am I supposed to get in to change the password?...
  8. The password is incorrect. Try again

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    The password is incorrect. Try again: I can't open my pc.. when I tried to open there's a blue screen with STOP CODE : SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED . I tried to find the solution... And I found that I need to restore my windows/system.. and when I tried to do it, it shows an account to continue with..and...
  9. The Username or Password is Incorrect. Try again.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    The Username or Password is Incorrect. Try again.: Error message on startup at login: the username or password is incorrect. try again. This happens on two machines, one being the replacement for the other which will be restored and moved to a different location. The default user shown on startup is not and has never been...
  10. Password is incorrect. Try again.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Password is incorrect. Try again.: After using a pin and facial recognition to login to my windows 10 pc for over a year now it's asking for a password. I had booted the machine into safe mode to fix another issue. It's in safe mode but I can't get out of it without the password. So when I got the password is...