Windows 10: The volume C was not optimized error

Discus and support The volume C was not optimized error in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; The volume C was not optimized because an error was encountered: The parameter is incorrect. (0x80070057) I always get this error after trying to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Elma, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Elma Win User

The volume C was not optimized error

The volume C was not optimized because an error was encountered: The parameter is incorrect. (0x80070057)

I always get this error after trying to defrag and optimize my Local Disc C partition.
    It was at first stucing at pass 1, I noticed I have just few GBs space, and I free up 100GB, now it is doing many passes like 7, but at end it will show:"Needs Optimization (Fragmented 39%), precents are sometimes different.

What does this mean?
    Is there something wrong with my hardware, software, or it is normal?

:)

2. Defrag on SSD: C: was not optimized because an error was encountered: The parameter is incorrect. (0x80070057) - Event ID 257

Either this is a reappearance of the Win8.1 bug for which a
    hotfix
    was released, or a
    bad drive
    . Use your SSD manufacturer's drive utility to run a thorough non-destructive test.

If Win10 is unable to trim/defrag your drive despite the latter being in working condition, report the bug via the Feedback Hub app and till it's fixed use a third-party app such as Defraggler instead. It also includes df.exe that you can run from a script
    or scheduled task.

RobertJWin, Jul 31, 2016
  3. Defrag on SSD: C: was not optimized because an error was encountered: The parameter is incorrect. (0x80070057) - Event ID 257

This is a Windows 10 problem.

Defrag on SSD: C: was not optimized because an error was encountered: The parameter is incorrect. (0x80070057) - Event ID 257

C:\WINDOWS\system32>defrag C: /U /V

Microsoft Drive Optimizer

Copyright (c) 2013 Microsoft Corp.

Invoking defragmentation on SSD (CThe volume C was not optimized error :)...

Analysis: 100% complete.

Pre-Optimization Report:

Volume Information:

Volume size = 222.45 GB

Cluster size = 4 KB

Used space = 198.98 GB

Free space = 23.47 GB

Fragmentation:

Total fragmented space = 93%

Average fragments per file = 4.06

Movable files and folders = 679334

Unmovable files and folders = 9

Files:

Fragmented files = 83531

Total file fragments = 2002019

Folders:

Total folders = 26668

Fragmented folders = 210

Total folder fragments = 798

Free space:

Free space count = 671738

Average free space size = 36.00 KB

Largest free space size = 20.05 MB

Master File Table (MFT):

MFT size = 1004.00 MB

MFT record count = 1028095

MFT usage = 100%

Total MFT fragments = 10

Note: File fragments larger than 64MB are not included in the fragmentation statistics.

Performing pass 1:

Defragmentation: 100% complete.

Free Space Consolidation: 17% complete...

The parameter is incorrect. (0x80070057)

I see lots of items for Windows 8.1 but the previous requests for Windows 10 shows no solutions yet. Based on my review of Windows 8.1 requests, the solutions proposed there do not apply to Windows 10. Please direct me to a WINDOWS 10 SOLUTION.

GarryJackson0711, Jul 31, 2016
  4. spunk Win User

Go to Start/Search and type diskmgmt.msc, right click the diskmgmt results and Run As Administrator. In the Elevated Disk Management window, post a screen shot of the lower pane showing your drives.
    Remember you need at least 15% of your Windows drive free to use Windows Defrag.

spunk, Aug 1, 2016
Thema:

1. The volume C was not optimized error - Similar Threads - volume was optimized

2. Problem with Drive C optimization

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with Drive C optimization: After restart it says the same again. Any solution? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/problem-with-drive-c-optimization/dc3e96fc-639a-4c99-8d33-a8f01f3e8a1a
  3. Problem with Drive C optimization

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with Drive C optimization: After restart it says the same again. Any solution? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/problem-with-drive-c-optimization/dc3e96fc-639a-4c99-8d33-a8f01f3e8a1a
  4. Help volume ? Optimize Drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help volume ? Optimize Drives: i found something odd i'm not sure if it is bad or good if anyone seen this before https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/help-volume-optimize-drives/784d663c-67d7-432b-8be2-7ccf79b7da7e
  5. Help volume ? Optimize Drives

Help volume ? Optimize Drives: i found something odd i'm not sure if it is bad or good if anyone seen this before https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/help-volume-optimize-drives/784d663c-67d7-432b-8be2-7ccf79b7da7e
  6. Help volume ? Optimize Drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. c drive optimize problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    c drive optimize problem: why does my laptop not show c drive as an option in optimize drives. it says that there is an error in c drive but doesnt fix after i restart the computer and when i perforn a chkdsk it says that the drive is being used by some other process. why is it?...
  8. Defragmenting and Optimizing Drive C

Defragmenting and Optimizing Drive C: Drive C no longer appears in the Defragmenting and Optimizing Drives App? I only see the Recovery Image. How do I add Drive C back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/defragmenting-and-optimizing-drive-c/c54cedb5-7c13-435b-80b6-5c4419421de6
  9. Extend Volume C:

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Extend Volume C:: My C: partition is full and Will not extend through Disk Management. Windows 10 operation system is located on C: and will not update because the drive is full. I am able to shrink my 1 terabyte D: drive but cannot expand C:. Is it possible to move the Windows 10 operating...
  10. Defragment and Optimize C drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Defragment and Optimize C drive: I can not get my C drive to optimize. It stays stuck on 6%. I have tried it 5 times and still will not go to O% optimized. [img] 104256

Users found this page by searching for:

1. was not optimized because an error was encountered: The parameter is incorrect. (0x80070057)