Windows 10: The W10 update process is a big step backwards

Discus and support The W10 update process is a big step backwards in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Maybe it is only me, but I have difficulties with this new update process. First they took it out of Control panel and made it only available in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by whs, Apr 3, 2015.

1. WHS
    whs Win User

The W10 update process is a big step backwards

Maybe it is only me, but I have difficulties with this new update process.

First they took it out of Control panel and made it only available in settings (although you can get it back in control panel by manipulating HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/WindowsUpdate/UX)

Then they have this ridiculously small progress bar that is hardly visible - and if you happen to have a high contrast theme like me you don't see it at all.

For mega downloads like a new build which can take hours, they give you no idea about the remaining time.

There seems to be no way to uninstall updates - any update

Nor have I found a way to hide incoming updates

Defender definition updates fail on a regular basis.

I hope all this is going to be fixed for the RTM because I would not want to work with a defunct update system like this.

:)

2. Belle - A big step backwards.

Unfortunately i didn't heed your warning. As i have two N8 i thought i'd try upgrading one. Big mistake. To anyone thinking of "updating" to Belle, DO NOT UPGRADE. flv file and even avi files are not correctly playing, phone restarts frequently, and the
    list goes on. Some things to like but not when your functionality is lost!

jreivers1979, Apr 3, 2015
  3. Belle - A big step backwards.

Manu_T wrote: Also don't forget you are a hardened Symbian user but from a beginners pov Belle IS better than ANNA.

Well, that's the thing! Existing users might seem a bit ungrateful for new features but they understandably get upset when existing ones are taken away. Permanently, and without warning.

My own grumbles are trivial -- I miss the Clock / Calendar / Profile widget (complete with day of the week), and the old version of the "beep beep" alarm clock music -- but I expect they're representative of all the kinds of things that people grumble about.
    How could Nokia not have realized, that removing widgets and ringtones and imposing a whole new UI style would annoy some users?

BTW I also have concerns about the Belle UI as a whole -- the way Maps retains hold of a data connection when it crashes, that the homepage background can appear briefly whilst navigating in the browser, or that the clock can show a completely wrong time
    for 0.5 seconds before it updates; makes me feel there's something inelegant about it -- but I don't expect that will ever be fixed.

njhollinghurst, Apr 3, 2015
  4. The W10 update process is a big step backwards

You can do a clean install in 35 minutes and same machine you can do the update in 6.5 hours.
    which do you want.
    Just finished with 10049 and everything works great. only problem so far one drive error about too many drives and it took awhile to delete it to the point it disappeared.
    Larry

shipinomore10, Apr 3, 2015
  5. WHS
    whs Win User
    Clean install is OK. But in order to do that you have to first download the ESD. And then you still get a lot of updates - e.g. the Defender definition updates.

6. BunnyJ New Member
    It's very easy to create the ISO from the ESD and I think it would be best to use that method if you're having issues with the update.

Just my 2c
    Jeff

BunnyJ, Apr 3, 2015
  7. WHS
    whs Win User
    I don't have an issue with the updates per se. I just have issues how they designed the process.

8. Edwin New Member

It's set up this way for the Technical Preview only. They want us to test what they choose, not what we may wish to choose.
    It's all written in the 'Eula-gy'. *Wink

Edwin, Apr 4, 2015
  9. WHS
    whs Win User
    Edwin, you imply that there will be a better system in the RTM. Let's hope you are right. We'll see. But for now it's a real pita.

Example: Since several hours it is noodling to download the 10049 ESD. It gives no indication how much longer that is going to take..

The W10 update process is a big step backwards [​IMG]

10. Mystere Win User
    You mean Windows Update, not just "updates". It seems everyone is confused and think you mean the setup update.

I may be mistaken, but I thought that was removed in 10041, and you could no longer get the old one back.

I don't find it very small, but I can't comment on the contrast theme.

There's no way it can know how long it will take, because the amount of time depends on so many different factors. Any estimate it would give would be a complete lie.

You have never uninstalled updates from Windows Update... You do that through Programs and Features -> View Installed Updates.

Unless you're talking about new builds which are not updates but upgrades, and you can use the "Go back to a previous version of windows" feature in Recovery.

This does seem to be missing, but is probably a side-effect of the fact that in TP all updates are mandatory and you can't select specific updates to install.

I haven't seen that. That suggest a problem with the upgrade. You might want to do a clean install.

Well, it would help if you had expectations that were similar to the old update system. The old one never let you uninstall updates, and never told you how long you had left, nor did it have an update progress bar that's very different from the current one, maybe a bit thinner.. but certainly just as wide and still plenty visible. Maybe the real problem is that it's not animated, like the Windows 7 version, so it draws less attention to itself.

Mystere, Apr 4, 2015
  11. Mystere Win User
    That is from a much earlier build. They changed that to the progress bar in my previous post.

Mystere, Apr 4, 2015
  12. WHS
    whs Win User
    That is 10041 downloading 10049. It is still downloading - since 4 hours but I already got appr. 2.5GBs of the ESD.

13. Mystere Win User

No, 10041 definitely shows the progress bar when installing the new build. I know, I did it on 3 different machines going from 10041 to 10049. It did the same thing IIRC going to 9926 to 10041, but I can't be sure.

In fact, here's a post by Edwin showing the upgrade in progress..

Windows 10 Technical Preview Build 10049 now available

Mystere, Apr 4, 2015
  14. WHS
    whs Win User
    Mystere, I hear you. But mine is 10041 to 10049. Maybe I got a special deal. LOL Now it is installing after 6 hours of downloading. That could have been because my line is not very fast or the server was overloaded. The installation is slow too because I now realize that I gave the virtual system only 2GB of RAM. Should have assigned 4GB or 6GB for that task. This is installation progress after 1 hour.

15. DavidY Win User
    DavidY, Apr 4, 2015
Thema:

1. The W10 update process is a big step backwards - Similar Threads - W10 update process

2. Printer showing "PAUSED" and not printing. Step by step solution in W10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Printer showing "PAUSED" and not printing. Step by step solution in W10: STEP BY STEP RESOLUTION : I have been having this problem for last 2 days. Checked for the solutions online. The best was by wbarrett1076. But slightly incomplete. Here are the steps to be taken to resolve this issue. Meant for dummies like me. 1. Open Control Panel through...
  3. Two-Step Verification Process

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Two-Step Verification Process: I changed my phone number and I can't add my current number without verifying my identity with the old one. I don't have access to my previous phone number. what can I do? Microsoft associates won't receive my phone call as this is a 'password' problem that can be solved...
  4. Two-Step Verification Process

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Two-Step Verification Process: I changed my phone number and I can't add my current number without verifying my identity with the old one. I don't have access to my previous phone number. what can I do? Microsoft associates won't receive my phone call as this is a 'password' problem that can be solved...
  5. Two-Step Verification Process

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Another step backwards with Explorer and Taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Another step backwards with Explorer and Taskbar: With Windows 11 it always seems to be 1 step forwards, 3 steps backwards. Why do "updates" actually cause more problems than they solve? Windows Explorer is still in a state of catalepsy since last year and the Taskbar icons which were "disappeared" in January have still not...
  7. Another step backwards with Explorer and Taskbar

Another step backwards with Explorer and Taskbar: With Windows 11 it always seems to be 1 step forwards, 3 steps backwards. Why do "updates" actually cause more problems than they solve? Windows Explorer is still in a state of catalepsy since last year and the Taskbar icons which were "disappeared" in January have still not...
  8. W10 Unatttended sleep timer a BIG BIG BIG defect

in Windows 10 Customization
    W10 Unatttended sleep timer a BIG BIG BIG defect: The Windows Unattended Sleep timer does not work and never has. It should sleep the machine if and ONLY if it was a wakened from an unattended mode such as wake on LAN. Instead, it acts as though it is the regular sleep timer turning the machine off 2 minutes after I wake...
  9. Setting File Associations - Another Step Backwards

Setting File Associations - Another Step Backwards: Periodically, I use Control Panel / Default Programs / Associate a file type ... to go through my file extensions and check the correct program is assigned. You used to be able to click on the right column to sort the program names and easily see all of the unassigned files...
  10. W10 big problem

in Windows 10 Support
    W10 big problem: Hello, i have a problem with my computer after installing w10 in games totaly random i get a 0.5s freeze or when i watch movies the video gets blurry/grey for 1sec(still working and playing). 13807