Windows 10: The Windows Defender Firewall service terminated with the following service-specific error:...

Discus and support The Windows Defender Firewall service terminated with the following service-specific error:... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello, I am running Windows 10 1803. About a month ago Windows Defender Firewall would not start. It would say that it wasn't using the recommended... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by CraigLom, Jul 28, 2018.

1. CraigLom Win User

The Windows Defender Firewall service terminated with the following service-specific error:...

Hello,

I am running Windows 10 1803. About a month ago Windows Defender Firewall would not start. It would say that it wasn't using the recommended settings. When I would try changing them I would get this error: Windows Defender Firewall can't change some of your settings. Error code 0x800706d9. Then I looked at the event log and got the message in the Subject line. I've try many things at this point with no success. Any idea what file might be missing, or what I should do?

Log Name: System
    Source: Service Control Manager
    Date: 7/28/2018 3:13:39 PM
    Event ID: 7024
    Task Category: None
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: CL-2016
    Description:
    The Windows Defender Firewall service terminated with the following service-specific error:
    The system cannot find the file specified.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    <System>
    <Provider Name="Service Control Manager" Guid="{555908d1-a6d7-4695-8e1e-26931d2012f4}" EventSourceName="Service Control Manager" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="49152">7024</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2018-07-28T19:13:39.551398300Z" />
    <EventRecordID>1255772</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="868" ThreadID="1292" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>CL-2016</Computer>
    <Security />
    </System>
    <EventData>
    <Data Name="param1">Windows Defender Firewall</Data>
    <Data Name="param2">%%2</Data>
    <Binary>6D00700073007300760063000000</Binary>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

:)

CraigLom, Jul 28, 2018
  2. Arvind Gaba, Jul 28, 2018
  3. The Windows Firewall service terminated with the following service-specific error: Event 7024, Service Control Manager

Hi,

Thanks for replying to us with the status of your issue and we apologize for delay in response.

We appreciate you for trying the troubleshooting steps.

As the issue still persists, I suggest you try restarting Windows firewall services and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

1) Press Windows + x, and select Command Prompt (Admin).

2) Type the following commands.

netsh firewall set opmode mode = mode

Note: Instead of mode type enable or
    disable.

3) Hit Enter, after each command.

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Jul 28, 2018
  4. The Windows Defender Firewall service terminated with the following service-specific error:...

The Windows Firewall service terminated with the following service-specific error: Event 7024, Service Control Manager

This time of year, with Christmas fast approaching, I install some festive TrueType fonts (ttf) and print various cards and notes for people. Once done, I uninstall them until next required. Simples! Well, may be not so simple under Windows 10 (Pro). Attempting
    to install a font has led me a merry dance for 3 days now. What should be a quick and easy process has turned out to be nothing of the sort.

Trying to be brief, researching the font issue led to suggestions that the Microsoft Windows Firewall must be active to install said font(s) – (that is another story). However, I have Kaspersky Internet Security 2016 (KIS) installed which has it's own firewall,
    and this disables the Windows version. So, I disabled the KIS firewall and attempted to enable the Windows one. The 'MpsSvc' startup type is set to 'Automatic' with a service status of 'Stopped'. Starting the service results is the following error message:

The Windows Defender Firewall service terminated with the following service-specific error:... d06a4136-0a5e-430d-a649-92afe79dc1b5.jpg

The System Event log entry for this states –

Event 7024, Service Control Manager

“The Windows Firewall service terminated with the following service-specific error:

The data is invalid.”

Exactly what data is invalid is anyone’s guess!

Anyway, more research followed for ‘MpsSvc’ dependent services. ‘Base Filtering Engine’ (BFE) was running, as was the ‘Remote Procedure Call’ (RPC) service. The ‘Windows Firewall Authorization Driver’ was NOT viewable under Device Manager with view
    options ‘Show hidden devices’ and ‘Devices by connection’. Neither was the ‘mdsdrv.sys’ file found doing a search of the Windows installation drive (CThe Windows Defender Firewall service terminated with the following service-specific error:... :) with all files unhidden. So, does Windows 10 use a file by this name, or has it changed to something else?
    As my version of Windows 10 Pro is the downloaded ‘free’ update, I don’t have any installation media to recover from. If this file is required, where do I get it from? At this time I’m open to any suggestions on how to be able to activate the Windows Firewall.

One thing I did observe under ‘Windows Firewall Properties’ Log On tab, was that a password appears to have been entered. I don’t use an account password at all, so I don’t know where this has come from. Should it be there by default, or is it safe
    to remove? Could this be a part of the problem?

The Windows Defender Firewall service terminated with the following service-specific error:... 1dcf441d-51cc-4ab1-b4bc-071d9b0e8b86.jpg

Other processes performed during this period include ‘SFC
    /Scannow’, which fixed a couple of issues; Running Malwarebytes that came back clean; Uninstalling KIS and retrying all the above – no change. KIS is now reinstalled. Any commands issued were using Administrator.

Via the Control Panel/System and Security/Windows Firewall:

The initial display is –

The Windows Defender Firewall service terminated with the following service-specific error:... 71803256-0909-42da-b4bb-12c6241cfed2.jpg

Clicking on the ‘Use recommended settings’ results in the busy cursor being displayed for about 15 seconds, but no other visible verification that something was done. Clicking on the ‘What are the recommended setting?’ link does absolutely nothing.
    Clicking on ‘Turn Windows Firewall on or off’ in the sidebar clears the window save for the above initial display, plus an ‘OK’ and ‘Cancel’ button. Clicking either just reverts back to the original window. ‘Advanced settings’ shows the following:

The Windows Defender Firewall service terminated with the following service-specific error:... f468bd80-611e-4d51-874d-1dc579701700.jpg

Most of what I have discovered actually refers to previous incarnations of Windows, so no definitive Windows 10 solutions. Until now?!!!!

OP - Windows 10 Firewall

TheTractorBoy, Jul 28, 2018
Thema:

The Windows Defender Firewall service terminated with the following service-specific error:...

1. The Windows Defender Firewall service terminated with the following service-specific error:... - Similar Threads - Defender Firewall service

2. The RstMwService service terminated with the following error:%%2684420176

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The RstMwService service terminated with the following error:%%2684420176: I've been getting this error message as my PC crashes and/or gets a BSOD. So far I've crashed 7 times in a few hours. Reinstalling windows didn't help either. Here are my PC specs:ProcessorAMD Ryzen 5 7600 6-Core ProcessorVideo CardAMD Radeon RX 6750 XTVideo Card #2AMD...
  3. The RstMwService service terminated with the following error:%%2684420176

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The RstMwService service terminated with the following error:%%2684420176: I've been getting this error message as my PC crashes and/or gets a BSOD. So far I've crashed 7 times in a few hours. Reinstalling windows didn't help either. Here are my PC specs:ProcessorAMD Ryzen 5 7600 6-Core ProcessorVideo CardAMD Radeon RX 6750 XTVideo Card #2AMD...
  4. BSOD The RstMwService service terminated with the following error: %%2684420176

BSOD The RstMwService service terminated with the following error: %%2684420176: This problem occurs every time I play War Thunder, but only when I am entering a match. For some reason, after playing for 2-3 minutes, Black Screen of Death occurred and there is no way to mitigate it. However, after restarting the PC for the first time after the BSOD, the...
  5. BSOD The RstMwService service terminated with the following error: %%2684420176

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD The RstMwService service terminated with the following error: %%2684420176: This problem occurs every time I play War Thunder, but only when I am entering a match. For some reason, after playing for 2-3 minutes, Black Screen of Death occurred and there is no way to mitigate it. However, after restarting the PC for the first time after the BSOD, the...
  6. BSOD The RstMwService service terminated with the following error: %%2684420176

BSOD The RstMwService service terminated with the following error: %%2684420176: My notebook Acer Swift 3 SF314-57G got BSOD after upgraded to Windows 11. At the first time upgraded, it run well but I don't know when it start, in this week everyday I've got BSOD.Here is the mini dump of memory:...
  7. The FDResPub service terminated with the following error: The requested address is not...

The FDResPub service terminated with the following error: The requested address is not...: How can I remedi this?Thank you.>The FDResPub service terminated with the following error: >The requested address is not valid in its context.- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">- <System> <Provider Name="Service Control Manager"...
  8. Windows Defender Antivirus Service service terminated

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender Antivirus Service service terminated: Hello, I have problem with Windows Defender on Windows 10 Home (20H2 version). I'm still getting this error in Event Viewer: The Windows Defender Antivirus Service service terminated with the following error: General access denied error I already tried to use sfc /scannow...
  9. The Windows Defender Antivirus Service service terminated with the following error:...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    The Windows Defender Antivirus Service service terminated with the following error:...: The threat service keeps stopping a couple of minutes after the system has booted. I attempt to restart it I get an unexpected error occured dialog The following error is logged in the Event Viewer,,, The Windows Defender Antivirus Service service terminated with the...
  10. The MessagingService_1e2d55f service terminated with the following error: The device is...

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    The MessagingService_1e2d55f service terminated with the following error: The device is...: I am searching through my event viewer for errors and warnings. it is a new computer to me with all recent windows 10 updates Some I have found to be normal according to forums. This error seems to occur every time I log on, when the service tries to load using the program...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. the windows defender antivirus service service terminated with the following error:general access denied error

2. the windows defender firewall service terminated with the following service-specific error:the data is invalid.

3. windows defender firewall access denied

4. the microsoft defender antivirus service service terminated with the following error:general access denied error,
  5. The Windows Defender Antivirus Service service terminated with the following error: General access denied error,
  6. windows defender firewall 7024,
  7. The Windows Defender Firewall service terminated with the following service-specific error:Access is denied.,
  8. The Windows Firewall service terminated with the following service-specific error:The system cannot find the file specified.,
  9. windows firewall the data is invalid,
  10. the windows firewall service terminated with service-specific error 1753,
  11. The Windows Defender Firewall service terminated with the following service-specific error: Access is denied.,
  12. windows defender 214794240 terminated,
  13. windows defender firewall service terminated with the following service-specific error: the data is invalid,
  14. windows 10 The Windows Defender Firewall service terminated with the following service-specific error:Access is denied.,
  15. the windows defender antivirus service service terminated with the following error: