Windows 10: There will be no Windows 10 key generated from upgrade.

Discus and support There will be no Windows 10 key generated from upgrade. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; After upgrading and once the computer has been successfully activated, I figured that there should be a new, valid Windows 10 license number for that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by John Pombrio, Jul 28, 2015.

1. There will be no Windows 10 key generated from upgrade.

After upgrading and once the computer has been successfully activated, I figured that there should be a new, valid Windows 10 license number for that computer. But according to Brink there isn't! From Brink:

Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer, you will be able to reinstall, including a clean install, on the same device. You won’t need a product key for re-activations on the same hardware. If you make a meaningful change to your hardware, you may need to contact customer support to help with activation. You’ll also be able to create your own installation media like a USB drive or DVD, and use that to upgrade your device or reinstall after you’ve upgraded.

MS will be creating a magical key from an algorithm of Device IDs and MAC addresses that will only work on that computer. Let's hope we do not have to call Susie in India after doing a graphics card upgrade like the good old days of OEM licenses.

:)

John Pombrio, Jul 28, 2015

2. Will my Windows 10 upgrade key be a different key?

Will I get a product key, can I get a product key?

By default, Windows 10 builds are pre-keyed, meaning, you do not have to enter a product key and should not be prompted to enter one even after Windows 10 has completed setup.

How to troubleshoot Product Activation in Windows 10

Microsoft tells me that it will be possible to do so. And that a key part of this process is that it will save a product key tied to the previously upgraded PC or device in Windows Store. This is how Windows 10 will later know that the install is allowed:
    It’s “one of the benefits of the new delivery system,” a Microsoft representative told me.

Source:
    https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/3898/a-few-more-answers-about-windows-10-upgrades

When I upgrade a preinstalled (OEM) or retail version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 license to Windows 10, does that license remain OEM or become a retail license?

If you upgrade from a OEM or retail version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 to the free Windows 10 upgrade this summer, the license is consumed into it. Because the free upgrade is derived from the base qualifying license, Windows 10 will carry that licensing
    too.

If you upgrade from a retail version, it carries the rights of a retail version.

If you upgrade from a OEM version, it carries the rights of a OEM version.

Full version (Retail):

- Includes transfer rights to another computer.

- Doesn't require a previous qualifying version of Windows.

- Expensive

Upgrade version (Retail):

- Includes transfer rights to another computer.

- require a previous qualifying version of Windows.

- Expensive, but cheaper than full version

OEM :

OEM versions of Windows are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

What happens if I change my motherboard?

As it pertains to the OEM licenses this will invalidate the Windows 10 upgrade license because it will no longer have a previous base qualifying license which is required for the free upgrade. You will then have to purchase a full retail
    Windows 10 license. If the base qualifying license (Windows 7 or Windows 8.1) was a full retail version, then yes, you can transfer it.

From the end user license agreement:

15. UPGRADES. To use upgrade software, you must first be licensed for the software that is eligible for the upgrade. Upon upgrade, this agreement takes the place of the agreement for the software you upgraded from. After you upgrade, you may no longer use
    the software you upgraded from.

17. TRANSFER TO ANOTHER COMPUTER. a. Software Other than Windows Anytime Upgrade. You may transfer the software and install it on another computer for your use. That computer becomes the licensed computer. You may not do so to share this license between
    computers.

Andre Da Costa, Jul 28, 2015
  3. Will my Windows 10 upgrade key be a different key?

I'm curious about this because, when I upgraded to Windows 8.1, my key stayed as a Windows 8 key. This prevented me from directly reinstalling Windows 8.1 to my PC(since the installer wouldn't accept my key) and, rather, I'd have to reinstall Windows 8 and
    then upgrade to 8.1.

Will I have a separate key, will the key be the same but usable for Windows 10, or will I still need to use such a round-about method again if something goes wrong?

BaroqueWolf, Jul 28, 2015
Thema:

There will be no Windows 10 key generated from upgrade.

1. There will be no Windows 10 key generated from upgrade. - Similar Threads - key generated upgrade

2. Updates on bios generated. No key bitlocker

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Updates on bios generated. No key bitlocker: I had a Lenovo. I did update on windows 10 and additional updates probably on bios. As result bitlocker was appearing but without key. On the other sidesWindows users are reporting BitLocker problems after installing security update for Secure Boot.The issues are related to...
  3. Best PGP Key Generating Software's for windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Best PGP Key Generating Software's for windows: Hi,Is there any Recommended or Best PGP Key Generating Software for windows?Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/best-pgp-key-generating-softwares-for-windows/7c732ac8-462c-41e0-9a70-b982c9078b2d
  4. Getting the Windows activation key from a Windows 10 laptop that was upgraded from Windows...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Getting the Windows activation key from a Windows 10 laptop that was upgraded from Windows...: I want to upgrade my laptop's HDD to SSD, but don't have the windows key from the free Windows 10 upgrade and also don't have the windows 8 key. How do I find the activation key? submitted by /u/Gintama4ever [link] [comments]...
  5. Windows 10 Key from a windows 7 upgrade

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Key from a windows 7 upgrade: Hello, I installed windows 10 on my computer using a windows 7 pro key that I had, but I lost the picture of the windows 7 key, my windows 10 is linked to my account actually I have 1 computer and 2 notebooks linked, is there a way to recover this windows 7 key inside...
  6. Upgrade from Windows 7 to 10: Product key retrieval

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrade from Windows 7 to 10: Product key retrieval: I am trying to upgrade my Windows 7 Professional to Windows 10. This is an old laptop which I'm trying to salvage. Unfortunately the sticker containing the key is gone. Is there anyway to retrieve the product key in a safe manner ? I want to avoid suspicious Third party...
  7. Need Windows 10 Key upgraded from Windows 7

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Need Windows 10 Key upgraded from Windows 7: Dear Team, I had upgraded from Windows-7 to Windows-10 during 2015. Now my HDD is corrupted and I have replaced it with a new one. I have only Windows-7 original serial number. How to get the new serial number corresponding? Thanks and Regards Chandrashekhar...
  8. Query related to Logs generated during Windows 10 upgrade

Query related to Logs generated during Windows 10 upgrade: I have recently upgraded Windows 10 from 1803 to 1809 using Windows Update Assistant tool. After upgrade I found logs generated in C: drive and in logs I found below: 1. "C:\Windows10Upgrade.exe" /Install /ClientID Win10Upgrade:VNL:NHV19:{} /SkipEULA /EosUi 2....
  9. Windows 10 Key from Upgrade Clarification

Windows 10 Key from Upgrade Clarification: Alright, so I've seen this many time. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/windows-7-pro-retail-upgrade-to-windows-10/e73a407a-2e2b-44ad-b773-8b175474d473?auth=1 Yet I still don't fully understand. And the terminology doesn't help...
  10. Windows 10 Key after upgrading from Windows 8

Windows 10 Key after upgrading from Windows 8: I have been subscribed to the insider preview and had all the builds of Win 10 as they have been released when Win 10 went RTM I unsubscribed and installed Win 8 Pro and registered using my legit Win 8 Pro key afterwards I upgraded to Win 10 RTM from Microsoft updates and...