Windows 10: These files might be harmful to your computer message(desktop)

Discus and support These files might be harmful to your computer message(desktop) in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi. Over the last week or so, I am being prompted with this error message on my desktop when I either drag a item to the recycle bin or go to open my... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by darbs9172, Aug 18, 2016.

1. darbs9172 Win User

These files might be harmful to your computer message(desktop)

Hi.
    Over the last week or so, I am being prompted with this error message on my desktop when I either drag a item to the recycle bin or go to open my user folder on the desktop. I have run anti-virus and malware scans and this isn't solving the problem. It doesn't do this with any other folder. Any help would be most appreciated.
    Changing UAC settings to never notify, hasn't resolved the problem.

These files might be harmful to your computer message(desktop) [​IMG]

:)

darbs9172, Aug 18, 2016
  2. mkj37 Win User

These Files Might Be Harmful To Your Computer

I tried all options selected but I'm afraid there was just too much wrong with the drive. I ended up doing a clean install of Windows 10 on my SSD drive. That fixed all of the problems. It just created a little more work for me but I was spending too much
    time trying to fix this issue anyway. Thank you all for your answers & help.

mkj37, Aug 18, 2016
  3. mkj307 Win User
    These Files Might Be Harmful To Your Computer

I did create a new user profile as well as trying a local user account. I did a chkdsk /r with no problems reported. I turned off my Norton & tried it but nothing works.

mkj307, Aug 18, 2016
  4. Dropbox Win User

Hello and welcome

What files are it? What does "Show details" say? What happens if you press "OK"?

Dropbox, Aug 19, 2016
  5. darbs9172 Win User
    General files being deleted.....jpgs, notepad, word, pfd.
    Show details reveals C:\Users/Dave\Favourites\Desktop.
    When I drag and go to drop and click OK, the file drops into the chosen target.

darbs9172, Aug 19, 2016
  6. I've been getting this message for a few months in both Windows 10 and Windows 7 whenever I use File Explorer/Windows Explorer to copy or move any file or drawer to/from the Favorites drawer, or any subdrawer within it.

The warning message doesn't appear when re-organising Favorites from within Internet Explorer.

I'm guesstimating this extra unwanted security feature was installed with Internet Explorer 11. You're correct, it doesn't relate to any malware scan. I'm not sure what useful purpose it's meant to accomplish. Basically just more nanny-like hand-holding from Microsoft.

I haven't found a way to turn off this 'feature,' so I generally I just click OK every time. If you do a lot of Favorites re-arranging, you could install a button-clicking program like PTFB Pro (trialware/payware), or use a third party twin-pane file manager such as Saladin for it instead of File Explorer

In case you don't know the following, and if it's pertinent: the Favorites drawer, should basically only be used to store Internet Shortcut files and subfolders. Though I do break the rule a bit with the occasional non-internet shortcut (.lnk) to personal documents in some of my Favorites subdrawers. It's definitely not a good place to store 'general files'.

bigbadsteve, Aug 19, 2016
  7. darbs9172 Win User
    Cheers for your reply Steve.
    You quote "I remember correctly on the file having been downloaded from somewhere other than a site you've specified as a Trusted Site in Internet Explorer". ......... these files aren't being download from the internet. These are my current jpegs, pdf's and word documents that I have created and placed on the desktop.

darbs9172, Aug 19, 2016
  8. These files might be harmful to your computer message(desktop)

Yeah sorry I just edited out that bit. I forget the exact details of why Microsoft give a security warning, except that it was useless and definitely unrelated to malware scanning.

The example you gave included 'Favorites' in the pathname. Are you saying that you get the warning message when you're moving files on the Desktop (i.e. icons on your wallpaper), and not to or from Favorites?

9. darbs9172 Win User
    The files I am moving are on the desktop.
    I am being prompted when I move these files to either recycle bin, user folder or other folders created on ,my desktop. Even when manually moving shortcuts to the bin, I am being prompted.
    Yes I could highlight and select a few and press delete and that would be OK. But I like to drag and drop

darbs9172, Aug 19, 2016
  10. If you haven't already set the User Account Control slider to minimum you should, details here.

11. Sorry, I missed you having said that.

Would you please create a text document on your desktop via rightClicking on the desktop then ->New->Text Document.

Then drag it to the bin and let me know whether you get the "These files might be harmful to your computer" warning message.

12. darbs9172 Win User
    Yes. Still get the error message.

darbs9172, Aug 19, 2016
  13. darbs9172 Win User

Also when I click "Dave" folder.....user folder, I get prompted with the same error message

darbs9172, Aug 19, 2016
  14. Dropbox Win User
    Dropbox, Aug 19, 2016
  15. darbs9172 Win User
    Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
    Malwarebytes | Free Anti-Malware & Internet Security Software

Scan Date: 20/08/2016
    Scan Time: 20:33
    Logfile: Scanlog.txt
    Administrator: Yes

Version: 2.2.1.1043
    Malware Database: v2016.08.20.06
    Rootkit Database: v2016.08.15.01
    License: Trial
    Malware Protection: Enabled
    Malicious Website Protection: Enabled
    Self-protection: Disabled

CPU: x64
    File System: NTFS
    User: Dave

Scan Type: Threat Scan
    Result: Completed
    Objects Scanned: 341553
    Time Elapsed: 21 min, 50 sec

Memory: Enabled
    Startup: Enabled
    Filesystem: Enabled
    Archives: Enabled
    Rootkits: Disabled
    Heuristics: Enabled
    PUP: Enabled
    PUM: Enabled

Processes: 0
    (No malicious items detected)

Modules: 0

Registry Keys: 0

Registry Values: 0

Registry Data: 0

Folders: 0

Files: 0

Physical Sectors: 0

(end)

darbs9172, Aug 19, 2016
Thema:

1. These files might be harmful to your computer message(desktop) - Similar Threads - files might harmful

2. I'm receiving the warning message "opening these files might be harmful to your computer"...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I'm receiving the warning message "opening these files might be harmful to your computer"...: I have Windows 10 installed on my 1TB SSD and my personal files on my 4TB HDD. I've put the default folders, such as Music, Pictures, and Documents, on the HDD by changing their path as soon as I finished installing the operating system. The letter assigned to the HDD was...
  3. I'm receiving the warning message "opening these files might be harmful to your computer"...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I'm receiving the warning message "opening these files might be harmful to your computer"...: I have Windows 10 installed on my 1TB SSD and my personal files on my 4TB HDD. I've put the default folders, such as Music, Pictures, and Documents, on the HDD by changing their path as soon as I finished installing the operating system. The letter assigned to the HDD was...
  4. I'm receiving the warning message "opening these files might be harmful to your computer"...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. "These files might be harmful to your computer" message moving files inside or out of the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "These files might be harmful to your computer" message moving files inside or out of the...: Whenever I move a file Often a game data file I am backing up or move a screenshot out of the APPDATA folder to another location on the SAME DRIVE I'm getting this warning. HOW do I turn this off? This has been going on since the Windows 10 Pro 21H1 version!I am NOT...
  6. "These files might be harmful to your computer" message moving files inside or out of the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "These files might be harmful to your computer" message moving files inside or out of the...: Whenever I move a file Often a game data file I am backing up or move a screenshot out of the APPDATA folder to another location on the SAME DRIVE I'm getting this warning. HOW do I turn this off? This has been going on since the Windows 10 Pro 21H1 version!I am NOT...
  7. "These files might be harmful to your computer" message moving files inside or out of the...

"These files might be harmful to your computer" message moving files inside or out of the...: Whenever I move a file Often a game data file I am backing out or move a screenshot out of the APPDATA folder to another location on the SAME DRIVE I'm getting this warning. HOW do I turn this off? This has been going on since the Windows 10 Pro 21H1 version!I am NOT...
  8. "Opening these files might be harmful to your computer" message and programs not wanting to...

"Opening these files might be harmful to your computer" message and programs not wanting to...: About 2 months ago got this pop up when I try to do anything with a zip file and I don't know how to get rid of this message or how it even happened in the first place. Also some programs after this pop up appeared only open or save progress only when I open the program in...
  9. These files might be harmful to your computer

in Windows 10 Customization
    These files might be harmful to your computer: How do I disable this notice? I have read many things .. watched YT videos .. followed the steps .. it all comes to a halt when it tells me to enter the IP address .. how do I find that for a USB memory?...
  10. These files might be harmful to your computer

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    These files might be harmful to your computer: I transferred some of my files from my phone to my hard drive, but once I sorted and transferred those files to the folders a warning always shows up. No virus or anything on my Windows 10 laptop and this warning is already grating on my nerves. What can I do about it? Thanks...