Windows 10: Thin clients anybody ?

Discus and support Thin clients anybody ? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi there Seems if you have a decent Server then the idea of Thin clients shouldn't be too horrible - especially for home networks -- presumably that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jimbo45, Mar 5, 2017.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Thin clients anybody ?

Hi there

Seems if you have a decent Server then the idea of Thin clients shouldn't be too horrible - especially for home networks -- presumably that way you can manage the network decently, use cheap hardware and people will still get a decent windows experience - with decent enough usb ports on thin clients they can get sound too so streaming multi-media from the server should be fine.

Saves buying a slew of expensive laptops - especially if the home users won't be travelling with laptops - these days kids etc just take phones.

Seems some quite good deals on reasonable enough thin clients such as dell ones.

Wyse Thin Clients | Dell United States

I know this is more geared to businesses but could be good for Home use too -- especially with Hungry Teenagers and impoverished students !!!!!! who then wouldn't need to buy expensive laptops. Running the server / providing the VDI is easy enough - got enough server space at home (3 boxes 1 currently just used for backups).

Any views on this -- in the past Thin clients were a bit of a No-No but these days seems a good idea to revisit this.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Mar 5, 2017

2. Explorer.exe keeps crashing on a Windows Server 2016

When referring to "older HP thin clients" would that be something like t5550 with windows CE?

We experience the same problem. As soon as the profile is created from one of these clients it's broken? Or will it work after reboot?

Profiles will work after reboot, we have the same problem with Windows CE thin clients from another OEM.

Patrick Stumpf, Mar 5, 2017
  3. Synchronising 6210 Classic through Thin Clients and HP CCI

Hi all,

I have serveral users needing to sync phones. Our current setup seems to be playing havoc with PC Suite.

The phones plug in via USB cable into HP t5730 thin clients with XPe. From here they log directly into HP bc2000 blade PC's. The blades are running XPP SP2 with HP RGS V5.1.6 sitting between blade and thin client. (Still waiting on HP to tell us how to upgrade
    to v5.2)

USB passthrough is working fine with all other devices. I.e - every other USB device that has ever been plugged into one of our thin clients have worked fine (e.g. blackberry).

PC Suite knows that the phone is there, sees it properly etc. However as soon as you ask it to actually interact with the phone, nothing happens. It asks you to plug one in - even though it tells you one is there.

This happens for anything that PC suite would need to contact the phone for. After it does initial handshake, its like it just stops.

I have installed v7.1.18.0 and am having no luck.

Please help before our users hunt us down and burn us at the stake!

mcchelpdesk, Mar 5, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Thin clients anybody ?

You don't need special clients any old PC will do while you can get at junk sales only problem what server have you got as most only allow 2 rdp clients unless you buy terminal server

Samuria, Mar 5, 2017
  5. lx07 Win User
    Nope. It is a crap idea. The cheapest WISE laptop on your link was the Latitude 14 3000 (3460) at $764.

What possible benefit do you see for a student using this instead of almost anything else that cost less than half the price?

If you honestly think this is a good deal for students then I'm surprised but if you do please explain why.

lx07, Mar 5, 2017
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    @lx07
    I don't TROLL -- however I think I got the Link wrong as I've somehow set it to US enterprise stuff which is about as far removed from an impoverished student as you can get !!!!.

I meant something much more like this (on UK site)

Wyse E00 Zero Client | 920356-01L | Instant-axess.co.uk Best buys for WYSE

About 55 USD / EUR or 47 GBP

That's much more what I was trying to show.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 5, 2017
  7. CountMike New Member
    CountMike, Mar 5, 2017
  8. lx07 Win User

Thin clients anybody ?

lx07, Mar 5, 2017
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

I've a load of spare screens and keyboards so perhaps my post was a bit confusing -- however it's the concept I'm trying to arrange.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 5, 2017
  10. lx07 Win User
    I use a crappy old laptop on my way to work. It doesn't have DX11 so I use RDP to do my crafting and so on.

Not playing the game just doing the boring stuff required.

It does work but I could probably use an ipad or a chromebook for the same thing.

Back to the question: no, I don't think so. Thin Client have a specific use. A home user would be better off with a cheap laptop from ebay.

11. spunk Win User
    A thin client requires direct access to the server on the network or VPN into the server. Which means you would be required to have an internet connection at all times that is not on a Public WiFi network. The user could not work offline. This is unpractical for a home user.
    Unless you already have a server, with VPN Client setup with Server side software etc, a cheap laptop would be a better alternative.

spunk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Thin clients anybody ?

1. Thin clients anybody ? - Similar Threads - Thin clients anybody

2. Is using an XP laptop as a thin client with Remote Desktop a safe & good idea?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is using an XP laptop as a thin client with Remote Desktop a safe & good idea?: I have an old XP laptop that I like to use as a portable DVD player on nice days on my porch. Sometimes I play old games on it, or read fanfics I have on a file share on my desktop.For several obvious reasons I don't go on the internet with it. The number of people who say...
  3. Is using an XP laptop as a thin client with Remote Desktop a safe & good idea?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is using an XP laptop as a thin client with Remote Desktop a safe & good idea?: I have an old XP laptop that I like to use as a portable DVD player on nice days on my porch. Sometimes I play old games on it, or read fanfics I have on a file share on my desktop.For several obvious reasons I don't go on the internet with it. The number of people who say...
  4. Is it safe to use an XP laptop as a psudo-Thin client for a win10 desktop?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it safe to use an XP laptop as a psudo-Thin client for a win10 desktop?: I haven't had a real need for a laptop in over a decade. However, I still have an old XP laptop that I mostly use as a portable DVD player for enjoying movies on my back porch on beautiful days, or for reading downloaded fanfics or ebooks that I usually transfer via USB...
  5. Is it safe to use an XP laptop as a psudo-Thin client for a win10 desktop?

Is it safe to use an XP laptop as a psudo-Thin client for a win10 desktop?: I haven't had a real need for a laptop in over a decade. However, I still have an old XP laptop that I mostly use as a portable DVD player for enjoying movies on my back porch on beautiful days, or for reading downloaded fanfics or ebooks that I usually transfer via USB...
  6. Anybody!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Anybody!!: What does this mean and is it MY problem or THEIRS??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/anybody/cb366e1e-abef-4af7-b92c-b3a2d64af520
  7. Anybody!!

Anybody!!: What does this mean and is it MY problem or THEIRS??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/anybody/cb366e1e-abef-4af7-b92c-b3a2d64af520
  8. hp thin client-: windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    hp thin client-: windows 10: Hi does any one know if there is a version of windows 10 for my HP thin client ? thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hp-thin-client-windows-10/8c8ae28c-ee11-4d4f-8917-0d66ade29cea
  9. Home network with thin client(s)?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Home network with thin client(s)?: So I'm thinking I'd like to delve into home networking ...partly to have all pc's and devices on my home network in a domain that I create, but also to study a bit using Microsofts free 6 month evaluation of WIndows Server 2012 R2. (I'm also in a MS server class, so it will...
  10. Windows 10 embedded for thin clients - exist or not

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 embedded for thin clients - exist or not: Hi there Does anybody know if there will be a Windows 10 embedded for thin clients such as Dell WSYE. These thin clients are actually very useful connecting to networks / VDI's and can support dual monitors / external USB's etc and og course are VERY CHEAP, Currently...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. shygyryar