Windows 10: Things you would like to see improved or added to Win10...

Discus and support Things you would like to see improved or added to Win10... in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I was just thinking of a few things I would love to see improved in the upcoming versions of Win10.. 1. An upgrade to Explorer.. it's old in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by BunnyJ, Jan 11, 2016.

1. BunnyJ New Member

Things you would like to see improved or added to Win10...

I was just thinking of a few things I would love to see improved in the upcoming versions of Win10..

1. An upgrade to Explorer.. it's old in the tooth and having dual panels would be nice.
    2. A version of Note Pad for programmers. Yes,, you can get Notepad++ but MS can do a nice new version that programmers can use without
    having to install a third party program by now.

That's it for now... more ideas to come later..
    Citizen Z!!

:)

BunnyJ, Jan 11, 2016
  2. grschinon Win User

Things I would really like to see in Series40

* Ability to minimize java applications

Multitasking java applications would be even better, but just by being able to minimize, use other phone functions, and restore the application, it would be very helpful and a big step forward.

* Great camera phones

Not really a software issue, but why don't we see S40 phones with great cameras? I would like to see cameras like the N95, N82 and 6220c on S40 phones.

* GPS and maps

The announced 6300i has Nokia Maps, but I understand this is not available for any other S40 phones. Why?

Would also like to see S40 phones with internal GPS.

The problem is that S60 is the way forward. It is more feature-rich than S40 and provides a better-unified platform for development and for integration with a PC. With this in mind, there's little chance that much effort will be put into S40 phones from now
    on. Transposing the same problem to the motor industry, for example, if you were a car manufacturer, would you pour much cash into R&D for a model that's been on the road for 10 years that
    some people prefer over newer models, or would you rather spend money on your flagship range of models that most people prefer?

There are some functions that I miss from S40 phones, I can't deny that. However, on the whole, I'm glad I moved from S40 to S60.

grschinon, Jan 11, 2016
  3. aftyk Win User
    Things I would really like to see in Series40

1. touchscreen

2. qwerty keypad

3. wifi

4. big display

5. no camera

aftyk, Jan 11, 2016
  4. cereberus Win User

Option 1 - we had that in windows 95 file manager!

cereberus, Jan 11, 2016
  5. Fafhrd Win User
    I would like to see a reversal of the trend towards command-line only operations and a push for more built-in Windows utilities with GUI front ends.

For instance, before XP there was WinIPcfg, a GUI information dialog which was superseded in XP by the commandline ipconfig.

I know that commandline operation is a fast and powerful technique, but to learn effective use of powerful multipart commands like net use, dism, diskpart and so on takes intensive study, whereas the functionality of these commands could be scripted within GUI utilities that even beginners could use with some guidance. Such utilities would ensure that correct syntax would be passed onto the underlying commandline engine and results shown where needed, with automatic UAC safety levels, checks and warnings.

In XP it was possible to do complex searches by entering terms into boxes from the file explorer GUI, but in Windows 7, inputting the necessary search string required greater user knowledge, and offered greater chances of errors, and less likelihood of finding the required item.

In many ways these putative GUI utilities could become a learning resource, giving the user an opportunity to see the generated commandlines and to store them as reusable scripts for future use and reference, when as a more experienced user, the use of commandlines in CMD and Powershell consoles may become an option of choice.

The other backward step imo is the loss of Help in Modern Windows. If older programs which incorporated Winhlp32 can still be used with Windows 10, you may need to jump through hoops in order to run help and find necessary helpfile tips to use the programs properly. CHM compiled help systems have also been phased out, due to severe security loopholes in all Help systems which offered context sensitive and "Show Me" type help, and all we are left with are either unwieldly PDF or sparse Online webpage help, and nothing like the comprehensive small help popup windows of old that you can see at the same time as the application you are working in.

We need a sandboxed help engine which would obtain the help information from HLP and CHM sources and present in context within the application it is relevant to. Applies to all applications, legacy or not, Microsoft or 3rd party.

As far as programming editors are concerned, Microsoft offers Visual Studio IDEs, which I presume (not having seriously coded for decades) have all sorts of variants for VB, VC++, VC#, dotNET and XML scripts. Powershell has an ISE included with Windows.

If you wish to use a 3rd party programming or scripting language, you may need to look to the language developers themselves for their own programming environments.

Fafhrd, Jan 11, 2016
  6. BunnyJ New Member
    MS can develop an editor that highlights syntax for no visual studio languages. I code in Python and it would be nice to have a tool that I can just code in Python.. syntax coloring and I can run it myself. What I don't want is a visual studio language. Right now I can use tools like Notepad++ to code in Python but it would be nice to not have to install that.

BunnyJ, Jan 11, 2016
  7. caperjack Win User
    nothing ,why ruin a good thing .lol

caperjack, Jan 11, 2016
  8. Edwin New Member

More of an observation than anything:
    I always wondered why 'proper nouns' for titles are no longer all capitalized in Windows 10!?

Things you would like to see improved or added to Win10... [​IMG]

Edwin, Jan 12, 2016
  9. banger Win User
    Faster updates and less rebooting, rebooting is always a worry because Windows may not boot with a bad update.

banger, Jan 12, 2016
  10. An option to easily remove or hide the default Apps I'll never use. The ones Microsoft currently won't let you uninstall. Just let me hide them so they aren't listed on the Start Screen/Start Menu. A show don't show option.

Something else I'd really like to see if an option to remove apps from your "My Library" section of the Windows Store. My "My Library" is cluttered with Apps I never ever used or just tried once. If it's a free App what's the big deal if I delete it? I also now have a list of "Will not work on this device" Apps I'd like to clean out. *Mad

Tabbed explorer windows would be nice.

alphanumeric, Jan 12, 2016
  11. Edwin New Member
    'Clover' still works on W10, I realize it's older than dirt itself but it still works fine!
    You can download most any CRX Theme and apply it.
    It even works on my 'Theme Patched to Death' OS! *Smile

Edwin, Jan 12, 2016
  12. Keager Win User
    the ability to permanently remove or disable the Microsoft bloatware. XBOX, Skype, Bing, Zune, ....

great help in the professional version.

Keager, Jan 14, 2016
  13. socklosk Win User

Why is it that I can configure the motherboard so that the computer wakes using any key on the keyboard, works every time, but unable to program Task Scheduler to wake and run a program? I would like to see these types things fixed.

I would also like to see an option where you can press a button to enter the Bios or have the computer to boot from a DVD drive on reboot.

socklosk, Jan 14, 2016
  14. BunnyJ New Member
    Those are issues with the motherboard and not an OS issue.

BunnyJ, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Things you would like to see improved or added to Win10... - Similar Threads - Things improved added

2. Would you like to help me?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Would you like to help me?: My lenovo laptops some keys are not working 0-p[;'/ those words in the bracket are not working, how do I fix it please? FYI I got 5 laptops Lenovo 82DQ and it all the same problem that those words are not working. Can anyone provide me the solution for this problem please....
  3. Would you like to help me?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Would you like to help me?: My lenovo laptops some keys are not working 0-p[;'/ those words in the bracket are not working, how do I fix it please? FYI I got 5 laptops Lenovo 82DQ and it all the same problem that those words are not working. Can anyone provide me the solution for this problem please....
  4. Would you like to help me?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Like what you see?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Like what you see?: Why can I no longer see "Like what you see?" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/like-what-you-see/2d271056-f7d8-48a3-bb9a-cc5577447765
  6. Would like to know 2 things

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Would like to know 2 things: 1. What is actually taking place when I get the message "Updating Component Registration"? I have an app for MS Flight Simulator X that installed just fine under Win 7. In Win 10, it hangs at the above message and never progresses. 2. Also with FSX, the installation of the...
  7. Would you like to see a thread about PC games? Please tell us.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Would you like to see a thread about PC games? Please tell us.: I'm not a dedicated gamer but I do occasionally relax playing a game on my laptop. Respected expert and Xbox Ambassador SunkNath is the author of a thread on the XBox site - details later. I went to it for some help and said to him that I wished we had a similar thread here....
  8. Like what you see?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Like what you see?: Had I realized I had to deal with pictures I do not like I would have looked to other resources . I hate signing in to an obtrusive picture one worse then the other. Even when not a fan, continue to show. Windows and Bing are awful that is why I switched browsers....
  9. What improvements would you like to see with the Windows 10 mail app?

in Browsers and Email
    What improvements would you like to see with the Windows 10 mail app?: What improvements would you like to see with the Windows 10 mail app? I'm quite liking the Mail app, but here's a couple of things that niggle me: 1. I would like to permanently change the size of the default font. 2. A minor thing, but I prefer the folder view on the...
  10. What would you like to see in Window 9?

in Windows 10 Support
    What would you like to see in Window 9?: Tell us what you would like to see in Windows 9 For me... A metro/modern UI off switch A real start menu Full Kinect integration so I can control the PC by waving my arms like a mad man. 1307