Windows 10: Thinking my internal C drive is dying

Discus and support Thinking my internal C drive is dying in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I woke up one morning to a disconcerting noise. The closest thing to the noise I can describe it sounds like someone walking through water or xmas... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by 1ThursdayJC, May 8, 2018.

1. Thinking my internal C drive is dying

I woke up one morning to a disconcerting noise. The closest thing to the noise I can describe it sounds like someone walking through water or xmas wrapping paper being crumpled. I know the old mechanical hdd in my desktop would start making loud mechanical noises. I suspect these smaller laptop drives with smaller drive heads and platters would make a different noise. I thought at first it was my external usb drive going bad so I spent about 7 hours moving software from it to WD 25EE MY Book USB drive. But when I started to move my computer to my bedroom. (I had closed the lid so it went in sleep mode) I heard that horrendous noise I heard from the morning time. Ugh it was confirmed that noise was coming from my internal computer.

I had tried before to let windows do an image of the C drive but Window would not let me do it. I can't remember the message from Windows why. So at this point I need to do either a clone or mirror image of Drive C.

I have several questions. I was going to do the clone to my external WD MY Book. It is a 2.7gb formatted usb drive. Plenty of room for the clone or mirror. My current internal drive Hitachi Travelstar 640gb has three partitions on it A Drive C which has all the Windows 10 system files, HP programs and some misc files that I use to deal with image and movie files. The Drive D holds the recovery software that came with the computer when I bought it. The Drive E has the backup HP programs. My computer came with Windows 7 64 bit Home and Family Addition. But I am currently running Windows 10 64 bit Home edition that was upgraded by MS about two years ago. So Would I still need the recovery partition when I clone the drive C?

I also have some document files and my music library on Drive C. Should I just copy these files over to the WD My Book drive. Or Should I just have a clean drive except for the utility programs that came with the WD my book hdd?

What is a good recommendation as far as cloning software goes? Clonezilla is a freeware program but it looks like a lot of hoops to jump to get it to run. Acronis True Image seems to be a popular choice but it is pricey and I hate monthly fees. I already have enough of those each month anyway. I guess beggars cannot be choosy.

Here is my understanding why I need to clone the drive C. Most computer makers put a proprietary marker on the hdd that came with the computer. So just backing up would not work in the computer. I learned that a long time ago..

Thank you in advance for any help on this manner. I have not heard the crinkling sound but I think it would be wise to get rid of that Hdd. I bought the computer in Dec 2011 so the computer is almost 6.5 years old. I would think that I am on the outer edge of useful life.

:)

1ThursdayJC, May 8, 2018
Thema:

Thinking my internal C drive is dying

1. Thinking my internal C drive is dying - Similar Threads - Thinking internal drive

2. Think my gpu is dying

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Think my gpu is dying: For the last few months I’ve had a problem where randomly the pixels on my screen would flicker then my pc would freeze and sometimes would reboot others it would go back to normal, today I decided to try and see what the problem was, some previous posts here before suggested...
  3. Think my gpu is dying

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Think my gpu is dying: For the last few months I’ve had a problem where randomly the pixels on my screen would flicker then my pc would freeze and sometimes would reboot others it would go back to normal, today I decided to try and see what the problem was, some previous posts here before suggested...
  4. system Backup From C drive to D drive both internal drives

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    system Backup From C drive to D drive both internal drives: ok I have been on the insiders program for awhile. I am tired of having to reinstall my system completely when the updates give me BSOD or black screens of death and trying everything to get past it. Anyway, I have tried Macrium, Aomei and Acronis using the usb media recovery...
  5. Recovering Photos from a dying (dead?) Internal Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Recovering Photos from a dying (dead?) Internal Hard Drive: Greetings, I have a friend who has a six year old HP laptop. The hard disk has been crawling for a while and they finally got the black screen of death. They booted into an HP Repair Utility, it tested the HDD, and came back with a code indicating it's either toast or nearly...
  6. Windows on D: drive (internal SSD), programs on C: drive (internal HDD) - is that normal?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows on D: drive (internal SSD), programs on C: drive (internal HDD) - is that normal?: To make things a bit more interesting, I also installed a new version of Windows 10 Pro on the C: drive because I didn't think things through first (sigh). So, in a nutshell I've got a desktop that boots from the SSD, which has a minimum Windows 10 Pro installation on it,...
  7. Internal System Restore shows multiple drives C?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internal System Restore shows multiple drives C?: I'm struggling with another problem on my PC, which is probably caused by malware (blocking user control), despite Kaspersky. I have solved similar software problems in the past with System Restore, which removed damaged or malicious installations. But when I call the...
  8. I think my pc's hard drive will gonna die soon!!!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I think my pc's hard drive will gonna die soon!!!: Hello microsoft. I think my pc's hard drive gonna die soon because sometimes my file manager is slow or not responding,sometimes windows search fail's,sometimes file or programm get's slow or sometimes even not responding,my hard drive has only around 2.gig's of space...
  9. My Hard drive died

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    My Hard drive died: My hard drive in my laptop failed . I'm having to replace the drive. I have the windows 10 home on a USB from when the disability desk helped me recover my laptop from malware. I think the hard drive was damaged from the infection because whole sectors were corrupted after...
  10. Is my hard drive dying?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is my hard drive dying?: My system has an SSD boot drive and a secondary internal hard drive. The hard drive is assigned drive letter E. I use it for general storage, downloads, etc. Starting today the system hangs at boot time on SATA Port 6 - which is where the hard drive is connected. If I...