Windows 10: "This app can't open" for Windows apps

Discus and support "This app can't open" for Windows apps in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Not sure when this started, as I don't use Windows Apps very often, but currently I cannot access Windows Store or Windows apps except, apparently Edge... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by wpcoe, Sep 4, 2015.

1. wpcoe Win User

"This app can't open" for Windows apps

Not sure when this started, as I don't use Windows Apps very often, but currently I cannot access Windows Store or Windows apps except, apparently Edge and Calendar.

On my start menu, other apps' tiles and the Store tile are greyed out with an exclamation point:

"This app can't open" for Windows apps [​IMG]

Clicking on Windows Store does nothing other than flicker the screen for a micro-second.

Clicking on any app with the exclamation point yields:

This app can't open.

Check the Windows Store for more info about <name of app>.

Any ideas what to fix? I googled and found some PowerShell and .bat "fixes" that did nothing to change the status quo. sfc /scannow finds no problems.

:)

wpcoe, Sep 4, 2015

2. " Nokia Simple " theme - where it this theme?

hi,

Some days ago on page
    http://ea.mobile.nokia.com/content/spin/ea/6120c/en/theme/index.xhtml
    or in phone (nokia 6120c) themes/general/download themes/ was very cool theme (light cream white, black fonts) " Nokia Simple ", now its dissapear from this site. Where i can get it?
    or maybe somebody has it and could send to me.

thx

szympek123, Sep 4, 2015
  3. okinawa---01, Sep 4, 2015
  4. antelx Win User

I have the same symptoms but no find any solutions .....

antelx, Sep 5, 2015
  5. wpcoe Win User
    Inspired by a YouTube video I ran the following from an elevated command prompt: dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup with the following result:
    Code: C:\WINDOWS\system32>dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool Version: 10.0.10240.16384 Image Version: 10.0.10240.16384 [==========================100.0%==========================] Error: 6800 The function attempted to use a name that is reserved for use by another transaction. The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log[/quote] Googling on the error code led me down a number of paths, the most promising of which looked like this series of dism commands:

• dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth
    • dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup
    • dism /online /clean-image /restorehealth
    The first command (/scanhealth) terminated with:

No component store corruption detected.
    The operation completed successfully.

The second command (/startcomponentleanup) again resulted in the Error: 6800.

Anybody willing to examine my dism.log file can find it here. Any clues as to what the problem might be?

wpcoe, Sep 11, 2015
  6. I found your problem, but I can't find a resolution.

Ali365Dash, Sep 11, 2015
  7. wpcoe Win User
    Thanks! Thanks pretty amazing that you can recognize that entry as the problem. Embarrassingly, absolutely none of it is comprehensible to me.

wpcoe, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. "This app can't open" for Windows apps - Similar Threads - app can't open

2. "this app can't open"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "this app can't open": After trying all solution available on internet. It still showing "Check the Store for more info about Photos."things I have tried :1. reset app2. Repair app3. remove Microsoft.windows.photos package through powershell4. Reinstall appAdditional info:OS : window 11...
  3. this app can't open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    this app can't open: ok so in april 2023 microsoft did its usual update and like always 2nd laptop it screwed things up where i no longer had control of microsoft stuff. couldn't get into setting or anything. i was still able to get onto the internet and do my stuff. so for the past couple of...
  4. This App Can't Open

This App Can't Open: Hi everyone,About 2 days ago I updated Windows 10 Home 21H1 like normal. Following the update, every single application I try and open shortcut, web shortcut, .exe creates an error message even though the application opens perfectly fine. Not a single of these apps are...
  5. Windows App can't open

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows App can't open: I have recently received an update, so I updated it, knowing that nothing will happen as I didn't experience anything previously. After restarting, some apps turned gray and have underlined. They can't be open, so can anyone tell me what the problem is....
  6. Windows App can't open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows App can't open: I have recently received an update, so I updated it, knowing that nothing will happen as I didn't experience anything previously. After restarting, some apps turned gray and have underlined. They can't be open, so can anyone tell me what the problem is....
  7. Windows App can't open

8. this app can't open

this app can't open: Hi this alert keeps showing up when I open adobe xd: "There is a problem with Adobe XD. Reinstall the app from its original install location or contact your administrator." I tried uninstalling it with: # AdobeCreativeCloudCleanerTool # CCleaner # Iobit Uninstaller #...
  9. Can't open Windows Apps

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't open Windows Apps: Hello. I have been having an issue for weeks where I am unable to open several Windows Apps. I haven't tested every app but I am unable to open: Microsoft Store Photos Alarms & Clock Calculator Weather I posted a question here on the Community a few weeks when I...
  10. This app can't open

This app can't open: Three days ago a number of apps including mail and Microsoft Solitaire have grayed out icons on the start menu with circle and an explanation point. When I click on the circle I get the message "This app can't open. Check the Windows Store for more info about …. I have...