Windows 10: This is strange...

Discus and support This is strange... in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Of course. I've been using a fake ad blocker. Oh well. Google has three on their web site now. I picked one. Hopefully they're safe now. As for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by milford, Apr 5, 2018.

1. milford Win User

This is strange...

Of course. I've been using a fake ad blocker. Oh well. Google has three on their web site now. I picked one. Hopefully they're safe now.

As for backing up, I'll have to wait and find whats hogging 2 Gigs of free space first before trying to back up.

Thanks for the help.

milford, Apr 5, 2018
  2. milford Win User

Windows 10 on Dell Tablet. Using Chrome.

Started O.K. this morning. Checked e-mail, news, forum updates, no problem. Turned off Tablet. Turned on later to reply to forums. Turned off Tablet.
    Now...Turned on Tablet, started Chrome, received notice Adware Blocker disabled??? Checked Extensions...said I didn't have any. Re-installed Adware Blocker.
    Went to Bookmarks..Whoa! I had bookmarks showing that were deleted over a year ago.
    Then I noticed my free space on the hard drive went from 12.1 Gigs to 8.4 Gigs. ???

Tried System Restore. Didn't work. Said turn off Anti-Virus program. So I turned off Windows Defender, tried again. Same error message again. Tried System Restore in Safe Mode. Same problem.

So then I tried to update Chrome. That worked. Made sure I had Adware Blocker installed, exited Chrome, got back in, this time no disabled notice. So then I spent 20 minutes removing all the old bookmarks. Backed up the latest bookmarks. Then cleaned up hard drive. Ran Defender, Super Anti Spyware, Ccleaner, Disk Cleaner, checked Program Files for anything strange, all clear. Now I have 10.1 Gigs of free space.

So after all that, I'm missing 2 Gigs of free space. No idea.

So my questions are... Any guesses as to what happened?
    Is there a Software Program that will act like System Restore other than a full backup software?
    Please be aware, its a bitch backing up a Tablet. It does not recognize an external hard drive or dvd drive. Only a flash drive. Then I need to connect a Flash Drive and external keyboard at the same time which is another adventure.
    Is there any software that will let me monitor installations? Known and unknown?

:)

milford, Apr 18, 2018
  3. What is this strange underlined text?

Hi

These are simply shortcut keys that you can use to access the feature easier, unlike pressing Multiple Keys like BulldogXX described.

When this menu is displayed on-screen, you can press any of the Underlined Keys to access that feature.

An example is press the F Key to open the Programs and Features component.

You can control whether these Keyboard Shortcuts are visible or not. Open
    Settings
    and click Ease of Access.

On the left side of the window, click Keyboard. On the
    Right Side
    , scroll down to Enable shortcut Underlines and turn that option to
    Off.

Regards

Ronnie Vernon, Apr 18, 2018
  4. BulldogXX Win User

This is strange...

What is this strange underlined text?

Those are to remind you of the keys to press if you're using keyboard shortcuts.

For example, if you want to go directly to the Run command without first opening the Start menu, you can press the Windows key on your keyboard and the R key at the same time.

The Windows key is the key with the Windows symbol on your keyboard. It's abbreviated name is Winkey. So, to go directly to the Run command, without first opening the Start menu and clicking on Run, simply press Winkey+R.

There are very many keyboard shortcuts that you can press to avoid using the mouse. Find them with a web search:

windows 10 keyboard shortcuts

BulldogXX, Apr 18, 2018
  5. Hi milford.

My two cents.

You could try Everything from Voids tools to see what is on drive. Couple of ideas here

170 GB Of Videos?

I'll be honest I don't have a tablet I backup this way. That said I worked on tablet and needed to connect several USB devices. Used a small powered USB hub. Easy to connect and worked very well.

I would then look at Macrium Reflect, free version and back up to USB Thumb drive. Ideally your drive would be partitioned so data is separate.

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect

Ken

Caledon Ken, Apr 18, 2018
  6. f14tomcat Win User
    Just read this article this morning, may be just coincidence.

Google cuts fake ad blockers from Chrome Store: Were you among 20 million fooled? | ZDNet

f14tomcat, Apr 18, 2018
Thema:

This is strange...

1. This is strange... - Similar Threads - strange

2. Strange behavior related to Create a Pin

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Strange behavior related to Create a Pin: Windows 10Today, when booted up, one of our computers presented us with a full screen message to create a new pin. The message screen looked somewhat like the picture in the article already here, but not exactly. I wasn't present for the whole process, so I can't swear to the...
  3. Strange behavior related to Create a Pin

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Strange behavior related to Create a Pin: Windows 10Today, when booted up, one of our computers presented us with a full screen message to create a new pin. The message screen looked somewhat like the picture in the article already here, but not exactly. I wasn't present for the whole process, so I can't swear to the...
  4. Strange behavior related to Create a Pin

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Strange user folder names Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Strange user folder names Windows 11: Hi all.I have just bought a new laptop with Win 11. I am not real familiar with Win 11.MS set my user name as the first 5 letters of my email address, so I changed the user name to Steve.I now notice there are folders under users named "steph" and two folders named...
  6. Strange user folder names Windows 11

Strange user folder names Windows 11: Hi all.I have just bought a new laptop with Win 11. I am not real familiar with Win 11.MS set my user name as the first 5 letters of my email address, so I changed the user name to Steve.I now notice there are folders under users named "steph" and two folders named...
  7. Very strange problems related to my touchpad on my laptop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Very strange problems related to my touchpad on my laptop.: So the problems that are occurring don't actually have anything to do with my touchpad despite my question title. Honestly I just had no idea how to describe my question otherwise. The reason I know this doesn't have to do with my touchpad is, I tried using a mouse and turned...
  8. Very strange problems related to my touchpad on my laptop.

Very strange problems related to my touchpad on my laptop.: So the problems that are occurring don't actually have anything to do with my touchpad despite my question title. Honestly I just had no idea how to describe my question otherwise. The reason I know this doesn't have to do with my touchpad is, I tried using a mouse and turned...
  9. Strange character in Word copy/paste

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Strange character in Word copy/paste: Can anyone tell me what the circle character is in the example above? It is NOT the "degree" character. It is only visible when showing formatting symbols. It looks like a space otherwise, but it does not act like a space. For example, Beautiful, 42nd in the above example...
  10. Strange character in Word copy/paste

Strange character in Word copy/paste: Can anyone tell me what the circle character is in the example above? It is NOT the "degree" character. It is only visible when showing formatting symbols. It looks like a space otherwise, but it does not act like a space. For example, Beautiful, 42nd in the above example...