Windows 10: This keeps showing up as spyware (?)

Discus and support This keeps showing up as spyware (?) in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; ADWcleaner keeps showing the following as spyware or something that needs to be "cleaned" (sorry if the terminology is wrong):... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by mitrajoon, Dec 20, 2015.

1. mitrajoon Win User

This keeps showing up as spyware (?)

ADWcleaner keeps showing the following as spyware or something that needs to be "cleaned" (sorry if the terminology is wrong):

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{6E45F3E8-2683-4824-A6BE-08108022FB36}

ADWcleaner removes it but at the end of the day when I check again it is back. Is there a way to block this from my computer?

:)

mitrajoon, Dec 20, 2015
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Picture keeps showing up as wallpaper

RicW-rw is correct, this has to be caused by malware . . .

Press Ctrl + Alt + Del to open Task Manager, on the Startup tab see if there is anything there that looks suspicious that may be causing this and disable it

Also Press Windows + R keys simultaneously to open the run dialog, type msconfig, click in the services tab and see if anything is suspicious there that is not Microsoft manufactured and uncheck it . . .

Finally if all this does not work, download an application called Autoruns from

HERE
    and somewhere on the list of autorun apps you should find the culprit . . .

DaveM121, Dec 20, 2015
  3. RicW-nw Win User
    Picture keeps showing up as wallpaper

Well it looks like there may be some sort of virus or malware involved here that is preventing normal function... I think you may need to look for help on this in the virus and malware section... also do a bit of web-searching to see if anyone else has had
    problems with the site the problem image came from. Other than that, I'm out of ideas but sincerely hope you can fix this. I hate it when I get stuck with something not behaving correctly! - Best, Ric.

RicW-nw, Dec 20, 2015
  4. simrick Win User

Hi.
    You might try this:

Download and run RKILL
    RKill Download
    Post the log here that appears when it's finished.

Download and run ESET Poweliks remover tool (free)
    How do I remove a Fileless (Poweliks or Gootkit) infection?ESET Knowledgebase

This will tell you if you are not infected with it.

Download and run Malwarebytes AntiRootkit tool and the Junkware Removal Tool
    Malwarebytes | Internet Security Product Downloads from Malwarebytes
    (scroll down to find these - they are both free)
    If they find anything, please post here.

Reboot the computer. See if it's gone now.

simrick, Dec 20, 2015
  5. mitrajoon Win User
    Thanks for your reply. I've done as you asked and nothing was found. Just to be clear, ADWcleaner removes this reg key, but after using the computer it reappears. What I would like is something to permanently block it. Based on the name, I assume it is a Microsoft tracking/spyware key.

mitrajoon, Dec 20, 2015
  6. simrick Win User
    Do you have DoNotTrack installed in your browser?
    ZoneAlarm Do Not Track Add-on 2.2.5.1213 by Abine - Should I Remove It?

simrick, Dec 20, 2015
  7. mitrajoon Win User
    I have do not track that IE and FF supply as add ons, but I don't have Zone Alarm.

mitrajoon, Dec 20, 2015
  8. simrick Win User

That {6E45F3E8-2683-4824-A6BE-08108022FB36} is for DNT - DoNotTrack by Abine browser plugin. You can verify by uninstalling the DNT in your browsers, and it should be gone then for good.

simrick, Dec 20, 2015
  9. mitrajoon Win User
    I found it in internet explorer (manage ad-ons). It is listed as Not Available and is disabled. There is no apparent way to delete it. My only options are to enable or disable. Since it is already disabled I'm at a loss. Would you recommend going to the registry and deleting that line?

mitrajoon, Dec 21, 2015
  10. simrick Win User
    No, I wouldn't do that. You want to properly remove it - it's not any kind of malware or anything like that.
    Here's what I would do:

1. Close all instances of IE
    2. Go into Task Manager and also close any running instances of iexplore.exe in the Process Tab
    3. Go to Programs and Features and uninstall it from your programs list

Failing that, you could download Avast's browser cleanup tool, or Malwarebytes JRT "Junkware removal Tool"

p.s. it is also known as "Blur" - not sure what it will be listed as in your programs.

EDIT: You do understand that DNT or Blur is a plugin to prevent web sites from tracking you, right? It's actually a useful add-on and I have used it with much success in the past.

If these steps don't work (which they should), you will have to reset IE.

simrick, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. This keeps showing up as spyware (?) - Similar Threads - keeps showing spyware

2. Hi, when i use microsoft 365, a trojan spyware shows up.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hi, when i use microsoft 365, a trojan spyware shows up.: Hi, when i use microsoft 365, a spyware shows up trojan. I tried calling microsoft they were not much help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hi-when-i-use-microsoft-365-a-trojan-spyware-shows/e6763b0d-697e-48c0-b2c1-015bfe841281
  3. Hi, when i use microsoft 365, a trojan spyware shows up.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hi, when i use microsoft 365, a trojan spyware shows up.: Hi, when i use microsoft 365, a spyware shows up trojan. I tried calling microsoft they were not much help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hi-when-i-use-microsoft-365-a-trojan-spyware-shows/e6763b0d-697e-48c0-b2c1-015bfe841281
  4. Hi, when i use microsoft 365, a trojan spyware shows up.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Drives keep showing up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Drives keep showing up: Please look at the image attached. I DO NOT have any SD card nor any web locations in G: and E: It keeps showing up anyways. If I press either one of them, it shows an error saying "Access is denied" for G: and "E:\ is unavailable". Please help me as it is very annoying to...
  6. Drives keep showing up

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Drives keep showing up: [ATTACH] Please look at the image attached.I DO NOT have any SD card nor any web locations in G: and E: It keeps showing up anyways. If I press either one of them, it shows an error saying "Access is denied" for G: and "E:\ is unavailable". Please help me as it is very...
  7. Files keep showing up

Files keep showing up: Please help ! Documents keep coming back after organizing, pictures also ! Now I'm getting files & pics from 2017 !!! HOW DO I MAKE IT STOP !!!!! Julie Ann...
  8. This keeps showing up!

This keeps showing up!: This keeps showing up! Especially when I'm playing GTA V, it closes is and then it comes up with a cmd window behind it. HELP PLEASE!!![ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/this-keeps-showing-up/cca5601d-8f2d-4472-be2a-d1559717d423"
  9. What is up with the Windows 10 Spyware?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is up with the Windows 10 Spyware?: I've been investigating why apps refuse to shut down in Windows 10, like Microsoft Edge. It runs in the background whether you start it or not. In fact, Microsoft has removed the ability to disabled it as a background app recently. There are many others and one is "rempl", a...
  10. spyware

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    spyware: I keep getting a thing that says my computer has spyware. I run the Windows Defender scan and it never finds anything. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_other-protect_scanning-windows_10/spyware/c2b5d597-bd8d-4f26-8ccf-c9d15ec59500