Windows 10: This PC doesn't transfer to Users

Discus and support This PC doesn't transfer to Users in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Help! I am very new to Windows 10. If files under "This PC" are just shadows of those under my name in "users" (and I am the only user), why are files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dfriedmann, Feb 15, 2018.

1. This PC doesn't transfer to Users

Help! I am very new to Windows 10. If files under "This PC" are just shadows of those under my name in "users" (and I am the only user), why are files with the same name different in content? Shouldn't using a document in This PC automatically change the one under Users?

:)

dfriedmann, Feb 15, 2018
  2. wklang Win User

Renaming This PC > OS(CThis PC doesn't transfer to Users :) > Users > wklan to This PC > OS(CThis PC doesn't transfer to Users :) > Users > wes

When I was first setting up windows 10 on my new PC, I logged-in with my Microsoft account name "Wes Klang" which, I guess, was shortened to wklan in the folder hierarchy on the path This PC > OS(CThis PC doesn't transfer to Users :) > Users > wklan. Subsequently, I did not like the windows
    10 account name Wes Klang, so I changed to a local account "wes".

Unfortunately, this did not change the "This PC > OS(CThis PC doesn't transfer to Users :) > Users > wklan" to "This PC > OS(CThis PC doesn't transfer to Users :) > Users > wes".

Now that I have a login name "wes" I would like to change the "wklan: folder to "wes", but I do not know how.

Can anyone help me accomplish this?

Thanks,

Wes

wklang, Feb 15, 2018
  3. wklang Win User
    Renaming This PC > OS(CThis PC doesn't transfer to Users :) > Users > wklan to This PC > OS(CThis PC doesn't transfer to Users :) > Users > wes

Thanks, Sumit,

I just went back to using my Microsoft act and I'll live with the "wklan" name name in the directory hierarchy.

wes

wklang, Feb 15, 2018
  4. winactive Win User

This PC doesn't transfer to Users

'This PC' gives a hierarchial view of the drives in your machine and is basically the shortcut formerly known as 'My Computer'

Library folders (from the currently logged in User Account) also appear.

Hence, the drill down C:\Users\%CurrentUser%\Documents is the path to 'Documents' you see in 'This PC' by default on a local account.

If, during Windows setup or OOBE you signed in and chose One Drive as your default Document location, then the objects in 'Documents' will be the One Drive 'Documents' that is synced to your Microsoft Account (which creates a User account based on characters from your email OR uses the previously named User account folder if it was converted to a Microsoft Account). Finally, simply changing the setting in One Drive for the Documents folder would also change the files displayed.

In the above instance 'Documents' from 'This PC' would differ from C:\Users\%CurrentUser%\Documents because you would be viewing C:\Users\%CurrentUser%\OneDrive\Documents

winactive, Feb 16, 2018
  5. Thanks for the info. This helps alot!

Another questions....do I really need OneDrive? I know it comes with Windows 10 but I don't use other computers and I understand it is best used between devices. What is the harm of having nothing there?

dfriedmann, Feb 17, 2018
  6. winactive Win User
    No harm, it's just cloud storage (with all the usual caveats). It does 'automagically' become available if you set up the other devices with the same login, it's basically akin to a roaming profile on a properly structured domain. Desktop and browser favourites are synced as well as email (if you use Outlook.com as your MS Account address).

So apart from the the desktop themes there's not an awful lot different to using Chrome Sync and Google Drive, etc.

winactive, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

This PC doesn't transfer to Users

1. This PC doesn't transfer to Users - Similar Threads - doesn't transfer Users

2. User File Transfer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User File Transfer?: My windows machine died last week and I had to replace it.Is it workable to add my old backed up user file to the Users folder of my new machine?Would it work normally and give me the tweaks and appearance of the old one?Would this effect downloaded "limited to one computer...
  3. User File Transfer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    User File Transfer?: My windows machine died last week and I had to replace it.Is it workable to add my old backed up user file to the Users folder of my new machine?Would it work normally and give me the tweaks and appearance of the old one?Would this effect downloaded "limited to one computer...
  4. User File Transfer?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. User under This PC doesn't seem to exist

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    User under This PC doesn't seem to exist: My town had an electrical outage several weeks ago and now I seem to have the old user from my previous computer in my new one. The WildChild1954 user is the one that should be there. The deejh is the one from the previous computer. If I go to User Accounts on the Control...
  6. User under This PC doesn't seem to exist

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    User under This PC doesn't seem to exist: My town had an electrical outage several weeks ago and now I seem to have the old user from my previous computer in my new one. The WildChild1954 user is the one that should be there. The deejh is the one from the previous computer. If I go to User Accounts on the Control...
  7. User settings transfer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User settings transfer: I have a problem where I had a main board blow and got a new computer, I can't get the old drive to boot up in the new machine as the OSduh. How do I transfer all my data to the new computer? Both win 10. Yes I can see the drive and access.Want better than drag and drop.Want...
  8. Windows phone doesn't transfer videos to my PC

Windows phone doesn't transfer videos to my PC: As soon as I take photos on my phone they show up in OneDrive and on my PC. But I can't find the videos I took on my phone. I already changed the setting on the phone to include videos on OneDrive....
  9. PC to PC file transfer doesn't work

PC to PC file transfer doesn't work: One of my laptops' hard drives is getting close to death, and I need to transfer files to the other ASAP. Unfortunately, none of the methods I've found work, despite being on the same network and even using an ethernet cable, and it's driving me up the wall. I'm being told I...
  10. Transform/ or Transfer my USER acct to This PC.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Transform/ or Transfer my USER acct to This PC.: I have been contending with this issue for as long as I have had Windows 10. It has become a real annoyance in 2 years. Windows has always had ridiculously long paths to user accounts. I am the ONLY one who uses this computer, to the point where I do not even use a password...