Windows 10: Change Transparency Level of Console Window in Windows 10

Discus and support Change Transparency Level of Console Window in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Transparency Level of Console Window in Windows 10 How to Change Transparency Level of Console Window in Windows 10 A console (or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Change Transparency Level of Console Window in Windows 10

How to: Change Transparency Level of Console Window in Windows 10

How to Change Transparency Level of Console Window in Windows 10

A console (or "terminal) is an application that provides I/O to character-mode applications.

For example: Linux

In Windows 10, users can change the opacity level of a console window to be between 30% and 100%.

This tutorial will show you how to change the transparency (opacity) percentage level of a console window (ex: command prompt, PowerShell, Linux) for your account in Windows 10.

*note The transparency level you set for a console window will only be applied to the specific console window shortcut that opened it.

For example, command prompt opened via Win+X menu VS Run (Win+R) dialog. Each location would have its own settings.

If you set to use legacy console, then the Opacity feature and setting will be disabled and grayed out.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Change Transparency Level of Console Window using Keyboard Shortcut
    • Option Two: To Change Transparency Level of Console Window in Properties

EXAMPLE: Command prompt transparency

Change Transparency Level of Console Window in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] To Change Transparency Level of Console Window using Keyboard Shortcut
    *note The transparency (opacity) level you set using this option will only be temporary, and only used while the console window is open unless you use Option Two to set the current transparency level as default.
    1. While you have a Linux console window open, press the keys below until you have the transparency level you want.

[table][tr]To do this: Keyboard shortcuts: [/tr] [tr][td]Decrease transparency[/td] [td]CTRL+SHIFT+Plus (+) or CTRL+SHIFT+mouse scroll up[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Increase transparency[/td] [td]CTRL+SHIFT+Minus (-) or CTRL+SHIFT+mouse scroll down[/td] [/tr] [/table]

OPTION TWO [/i] To Change Transparency Level of Console Window in Properties
    1. Open a Linux console window using the shortcut or location you want to change the opacity for.

*note You could also just directly right click on the console window shortcut or file, click/tap on Properties, and go to step 3 below.

2. Right click or press and hold on the title bar of the console window, and click/tap on Properties. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on the Colors tab, adjust the Opacity slider to the percentage level (30-100%) you want for transparency, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

*note The default opacity is 100%.

The lower the percentage you set, the more transparent the console window will be.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Feb 9, 2018
  2. Burgurne Win User
    Burgurne, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Naki Win User

Maxwell on Windows 10 DX level 11.2?

GPU-Z is not reading this from Registry! A GPU with DX12 on a Windows OS that has only 10 or 11 DX will still show as DX12. If you do not like this, you can suggest a change.

Also, I think the kind of feature level display has a separate thread, here:
    GPU-Z and DirectX 12
    If you did not vote, you can express your opinion there.

5. Error 404 Win User
    Transparent windows in Linux?

Ok, I've been looking at some screenshots of Linux, and somehow they manage to get transparent windows.
    I've been doing some research on Google, but didn't find anything on how to make my windows transparent!
    So, does anyone know how to make them transparent? (as in, being able to see the window behind another window, text "floating" above the desktop, etc)

Error 404, Oct 26, 2019
  6. ZanThrax Win User
    Windows 10 Taskbar Transparency Level

Well, it's bad design then. What reason is there for restricting options like this? Is Microsoft trying to be Apple? My taskbar was nicely translucent in Windows 7 for years, and now it's so close to opaque that there might as well not even be a "transparent"
    option. 90% opaque is a pretty pointless transparency setting.

ZanThrax, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Change Transparency Level of Console Window in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Transparency Level

2. Windows 10 Transparent taskbar background change

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Transparent taskbar background change: With the background set to slide show the background theme changes on the taskbar about 1 second after it changes on the rest of the screen. Can it be syncronized so they change at the same time?...
  3. Transparency level change at taskbar?

Transparency level change at taskbar?: Hello. I found this guide to transparency percent change for ALT-TAB Adjust ALT+TAB Grid Background Transparency Percent in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials But I can't find anything to change the transparency percent level for taskbar and START-menu. How to change this?...
  4. Taskbar/Titlebar transparancy level?

Taskbar/Titlebar transparancy level?: So I just tried out ClassicShell on Win10 and although I didn't like it, it has a nice option which allowed you the control the level of opaque/transparancy on the taskbar. However ClassicShell changes a ton of things that I do not want so I was wondering if it was...
  5. Change Cursor Size for Console Window in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Cursor Size for Console Window in Windows: How to: Change Cursor Size for Console Window in Windows How to Change Cursor Size for Console Window in Windows A console (or "terminal) is an application that provides I/O to character-mode applications. For example: Linux This tutorial will show you how to...
  6. Change Terminal Colors of Console Window in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Terminal Colors of Console Window in Windows 10: How to: Change Terminal Colors of Console Window in Windows 10 How to Change Foreground and Background Terminal Colors of Console Window in Windows 10 A console (or "terminal) is an application that provides I/O to character-mode applications. For example: Linux...
  7. Change Cursor Color of Console Window in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Cursor Color of Console Window in Windows 10: How to: Change Cursor Color of Console Window in Windows 10 How to Change Cursor Color of Console Window in Windows 10 A console (or "terminal) is an application that provides I/O to character-mode applications. For example: Linux Starting with Windows 10 build...
  8. Change Cursor Shape of Console Window in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Cursor Shape of Console Window in Windows 10: How to: Change Cursor Shape of Console Window in Windows 10 How to Change Cursor Shape of Console Window in Windows 10 A console (or "terminal) is an application that provides I/O to character-mode applications. For example: Linux Starting with Windows 10 build...
  9. Change Default Console Window Size in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Default Console Window Size in Windows: How to: Change Default Console Window Size in Windows How to Change Default Console Window Size in Windows A console (or "terminal) is an application that provides I/O to character-mode applications. For example: Linux This tutorial will show you how to change the...
  10. Change Power Mode Level in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Power Mode Level in Windows 10: How to: Change Power Mode Level in Windows 10 How to Change Power Mode Level in Windows 10 The Windows performance power slider enables you to quickly and intelligently trade performance of your system for longer battery life. As you switch between the four slider modes...