Windows 10: Enable or Disable Pin and Unpin Items on Jump Lists in Windows 10

Discus and support Enable or Disable Pin and Unpin Items on Jump Lists in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Pin and Unpin Items on Jump Lists in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Pin and Unpin Items on Jump Lists in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Enable or Disable Pin and Unpin Items on Jump Lists in Windows 10

How to: Enable or Disable Pin and Unpin Items on Jump Lists in Windows 10

How to Enable or Disable Pin and Unpin Items on Jump Lists in Windows 10

Enable or Disable Pin and Unpin Items on Jump Lists in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information When you right click or press and hold on an app on the taskbar or Start menu, it will open the app's jump list.

Jump Lists
    is a feature that lists app specific tasks or items you can quickly open or get to for every day usage. Jump lists can include recently opened items, frequently opened items, tasks, or websites, in addition to pinned items. You'll always see the same items in the jump list for an app, regardless of whether you view the jump list on the Start menu, taskbar, or File Explorer.

On the taskbar, jump lists appear for programs that you've pinned to the taskbar and programs that are currently running.

On the Start menu, jump lists appear for programs that support having a jump list.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable to pin and unpin items on jump lists for specific or all users in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable to pin and unpin items on jump lists.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Enable or Disable Pin and Unpin Items on Jump Lists in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: To Enable or Disable Pin and Unpin Items on Jump Lists using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Pin and Unpin items on Jump Lists

OPTION ONE [/i] To Enable or Disable Pin and Unpin Items on Jump Lists in Local Group Policy Editor
    Note The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Two below.

1. Open the all users except administrators Local Group Policy Editor for how you want this policy applied.

2. In the left pane of the Local Group Policy Editor, click/tap on to expand User Configuration, Administrative Templates, and Start Menu and Taskbar. (See screenshot below)

3. In the right pane of Start Menu and Taskbar, double click/tap on the Do not allow pinning items in Jump Lists policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable Pin and Unpin Items on Jump Lists
    A) Select (dot) either Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

NOTE: Not Configured is the default setting.

6. To Disable Pin and Unpin Items on Jump Lists
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. When finished, you can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Allow or Prevent Users to Change or Save a Theme using a REG file

Note The .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry keys below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer

NoPinningToDestinations DWORD

(delete) = Enable
    1 = Disable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Pin and Unpin Items on Jump Lists for All Users
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_Pin_Unpin_Items_on_Jump_Lists.reg

Download

3. To Disable Pin and Unpin Items on Jump Lists for All Users
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_Pin_Unpin_Items_on_Jump_Lists.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. sign in to apply.

8. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jan 5, 2018
  2. Edwin Win User

Pin or Unpin Items on Jump Lists in Windows 10

@Brink:
    Another couple of tricks I've found:

If you create a 'Super Hidden' folder and pin it to Quick Access, then re-hide 'Protected System Files and Folders', it will no longer show in the Navigation Pane but, it will still show in File Explorer Taskbar Jump Lists, and be navigable.

Also, there are certain folders you can pin to Quick Access, such as 'search-ms:', when there, but they too will not show in the Navigation Pane but will also show in Taskbar Jump Lists!

Thought this info may be useful! *Wink

Edwin, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Bree Win User
    Can't unpin excel jump list file from the start menu

The same jumplist shows wherever you right-click on Excel (or any other app that has a jumplist) be that on a tile in Start, pinned to the taskbar or in Start's 'all apps' list.

Right-click on any file name in the jumplist (like your ABC.xls) and you should see options to 'Pin to this list' and 'Remove from this list'. If the file is pinned to the list, you have to unpin it first before you can remove it from the list.

*Arrow Pin or Unpin Items on Jump Lists in Windows 10

If that isn't working for you, then it sounds like you'll need to reset the recent items that jumplists show. This will reset ALL jumplists, not just the Excel one, so only reset it if nothing else works.

*Arrow Reset and Clear Recent Items and Frequent Places in Windows 10

4. Brink Win User

What is the point of Jump Lists?

Hello WhyMe, Enable or Disable Pin and Unpin Items on Jump Lists in Windows 10 :)

Jump lists could be handy to reopen recent and frequent items that you open with an app you pinned to taskbar. You can also pin any of these items in the jump list to make sure you always have them available.

Jump Lists - Pin or Unpin Items - Windows 7 Help Forums

Brink, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Tony K Win User

Hi, Shawn. Been learning a few things. A solution to my "Pin file to" in File Explorer context menu problem. Not sure to call these jump lists or context menus. You may want to add this to your tutorial here, for it deals with the Office apps Start tiles' jump lists/context menus. Right click on an Office app tile and pin a recently opened file to the jump list/context menu.

Here's the Word tile list/menu. This works in Publisher, PowerPoint, Excel, and Access.

Attachment 136132

Anther handy quick list in Office Outlook.

Attachment 136134

Even the Paint tile has a Recent list to pin a file to a jump list. I'd imagine any "creative" app will have the same.

If you don't want to add here, I can make a tute on the subject, that's if there is not one already.

Tony K, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Mike T Win User
    Can't unpin dead link to D:\ from File Explorer - Taskbar & Start Menu

Mouse buttons haven't been reversed, and they work fine in all other contexts (including other items on this very same pinned list in File Explorer).

- - - Updated - - -

Also want to add:

I've attempted all the methods of unpinning that are listed in this tutorial:

Mike T, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Enable or Disable Pin and Unpin Items on Jump Lists in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Pin

2. Pin Files to Jump List on Taskbar Items by Dragging?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pin Files to Jump List on Taskbar Items by Dragging?: I just got a new Windows 11 laptop. With Windows 10, I was able to drag folders onto icons on taskbar for programs that could open them--for instance, I could drag PDF files onto the icon for Acrobat PDF DC Reader, and make a jump list. So far with Windows 10, I have only...
  3. Pin Files to Jump List on Taskbar Items by Dragging?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pin Files to Jump List on Taskbar Items by Dragging?: I just got a new Windows 11 laptop. With Windows 10, I was able to drag folders onto icons on taskbar for programs that could open them--for instance, I could drag PDF files onto the icon for Acrobat PDF DC Reader, and make a jump list. So far with Windows 10, I have only...
  4. Enable or Disable Showing Remote Locations in Jump Lists in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Showing Remote Locations in Jump Lists in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Showing Remote Locations in Jump Lists in Windows How to Enable or Disable Showing Remote Locations in Jump Lists in Windows When you right click or press and hold on an app on the taskbar or Start menu, it will open the app's jump list....
  5. Jump List Items not Opening

in Windows 10 Support
    Jump List Items not Opening: Is anyone having the issue where you open your jump list in File Explorer and then click on something like your Videos or Downloads Folder to have the jump list close like normal, but then nothing open? I also noticed that when I right click on the start button, I can't get...
  6. Pin or Unpin Items in Clipboard History in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Pin or Unpin Items in Clipboard History in Windows 10: How to: Pin or Unpin Items in Clipboard History in Windows 10 How to Pin or Unpin Items in Clipboard History in Windows 10 Copy paste its something we all do, probably multiple times a day. But what do you do if you need to copy the same few things again and again? How...
  7. Enable or Disable Pin and Unpin Apps on Taskbar in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Pin and Unpin Apps on Taskbar in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Pin and Unpin Apps on Taskbar in Windows How to Enable or Disable "Pin to taskbar" and "Unpin from taskbar" for Apps in Windows Windows includes a special application desktop toolbar called the taskbar that shows on the bottom of a display...
  8. Rearrange Pinned Items On Jump Lists in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Rearrange Pinned Items On Jump Lists in Windows 10: How to: Rearrange Pinned Items On Jump Lists in Windows 10 How to Rearrange Pinned Items On Jump Lists in Windows 10 [img] Information When you right click or press and hold on an app on the taskbar or Start menu, it will open the app's jump list. Jump Lists is a...
  9. Enable Recent Items Jump Lists in Start but not on the taskbar?

in Windows 10 Support
    Enable Recent Items Jump Lists in Start but not on the taskbar?: Alright, so in Windows 10 there is the option in Settings under Personalization > Start called "Show recently opened items in Jump Lists on Start or the taskbar". Enabling this turns on Recent Items on programs in the Start menu and on the right-click menu on programs on the...
  10. Pin or Unpin Items on Jump Lists in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Pin or Unpin Items on Jump Lists in Windows 10: How to: Pin or Unpin Items on Jump Lists in Windows 10 How to Pin or Unpin Items on Jump Lists in Windows 10 [img] Information When you right click or press and hold on an app on the taskbar or Start menu, it will open the app's jump list. Jump Lists is a feature...