Windows 10: Reset Open and Save As Common Item Dialog Boxes in Windows

Discus and support Reset Open and Save As Common Item Dialog Boxes in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Reset Open and Save As Common Item Dialog Boxes in Windows How to Reset Open and Save As Common Item Dialog Boxes to Default in Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Mar 23, 2018.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Reset Open and Save As Common Item Dialog Boxes in Windows

How to: Reset Open and Save As Common Item Dialog Boxes in Windows

How to Reset Open and Save As Common Item Dialog Boxes to Default in Windows

Reset Open and Save As Common Item Dialog Boxes in Windows [​IMG]
    Information Starting with Windows Vista, the Common Item Dialog (CID) supersedes the older Common File Dialog when used to open or save a file. The Common Item Dialog is used in two variations: the Open dialog and the Save as dialog. These two dialogs share most of their functionality, but each has its own unique methods.

The Open dialog box lets the user specify the drive, directory, and the name of a file or set of files to open.

The Save As dialog box lets the user specify the drive, directory, and name of a file to save.

This tutorial will show you how to reset the view settings of Open and Save As Common Item Dialog boxes back to default for your account in Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 10.

Note The registry keys below store the view settings of Open and Save As dialog boxes. The downloadable .reg file in the tutorial below will delete these registry keys to reset the Open and Save As dialog boxes to default. These registry keys will automatically be recreated the next time you open a Open or Save As dialog.

*Arrow HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ComDlg32

*Arrow HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CIDOpen

*Arrow HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CIDSave

EXAMPLE: Open and Save As dialog boxes

Here's How:

1. Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below.
    Reset_Open_Save-As_CID_boxes.reg

Download

2. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

3. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

4. If prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

5. If you like, you can now delete the downloaded .reg file.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Mar 23, 2018
  2. David Haz Win User

Open and Save As Dialog Boxes not working

Hello,

If the Open and Save As dialog boxes are not appearing, there might be a process or service that is conflicting with that function of Windows. We recommend that you perform a clean boot of Windows. This would aid eliminate software conflicts that occur when
    using Windows.

Note: Your computer may temporarily lose some functionality when performing a clean boot. If you start the computer normally, the functionality returns. However, you may receive the original issue.

Here's how to perform a clean boot environment in Windows 10:

• Press the Start button, then type msconfig, and select
      System Configuration from the search results.
    • On the Services tab of the System Configuration
      dialog box, click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, then select
      Disable all.
    • On the Startup tab of the System Configuration
      dialog box, click Open Task Manager.
    • On the Startup tab in Task Manager, for each startup item, select the item and then click
      Disable.
    • Close Task Manager.
    • On the Startup tab of the System Configuration
      dialog box, click OK, and then restart your computer.

After performing a clean boot environment of Windows, see if the Open
    and Save As dialog boxes work as they should be. If it works, then you may follow the steps below on how to determine what is causing the problem while in a clean boot environment:

• Log on to the computer by using an account that has administrator rights.
    • From Start. search for msconfig, then select
      msconfig or System Configuration from the search results.
    • Click the Services tab, and then click to select the
      Hide all Microsoft services
      check box.
    • Click to select the upper half of the check boxes in the Service list.
    • Click OK, and then click Restart.
    • After the computer finishes restarting, determine whether the problem still occurs.
      • If the problem still occurs, repeat steps 1 through
        , but clear the lower half of the check boxes in the Service
        list that you originally selected.
      • If the problem does not occur, repeat steps 1 through
        , and select only the upper half of the remaining check boxes that are cleared in the
        Service list. Repeat these steps until you have selected all the check boxes.
      • If you still experience the problem when only one service is selected in the
        Service
        list, this means that the selected service causes the problem, and you should go to step
        10. If no service causes the problem, go to step 7.
    • Repeat steps 1 and 2 in this section.
    • Click the Startup tab, then click to select the upper half of the check boxes in the
      Startup Item list.
    • Click OK, and then click Restart.
      • If the problem still occurs, repeat steps 7 and 8, but clear the lower half of the checked boxes in the
        Startup Item list that you originally selected.
      • If the problem does not occur, repeat steps 7 and 8, and select only the upper half of the remaining check boxes that are cleared in the
        Startup Item list. Repeat these steps until you have selected all the check boxes.
      • If you still experience the problem after only one Startup Item
        is selected in the Startup Item list, this means that the selected
        Startup Item causes the problem, and you should go to step
      • If no Startup Item causes the problem, a Microsoft service probably causes the problem. To determine which Microsoft service may be causing the problem, repeat steps
        1 through 6 without selecting the Hide all Microsoft services
        check box in each step.
    • After you determine the startup item or the service that causes the problem, contact the program manufacturer to determine whether the problem can be resolved. Or, run the
      System Configuration utility, and then click to clear the check box for the problem item.

If you need further assistance, feel free to ask us.

If you think this was useful, feel free to mark it as an answer to help those who are facing the same problem.

David Haz, Oct 26, 2019
  3. LauraWan Win User
    Dialog Box Save/Open

When saving or opening a file you are promoted with a dialog box, beside the file name there is a text box and beside the text box there is down arrow that will list all your recent saved or open files with it's path, how do I not have them be saved
    in the drop down list? I know how to disable the jump list in Windows 10 by turning of Show recently opened items in Jump Lists on Start or the taskbar by the toggle button so that it says Off. That doesn't clear the list that I want it to.

Example in photo (Yes I am aware that is Windows 8/8.1 but I have Windows 10):

Reset Open and Save As Common Item Dialog Boxes in Windows 866e2dca-7080-43d0-adc1-ba806bdcfe67?upload=true.png

LauraWan, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Reset Open and Save As Common Item Dialog Boxes in Windows

Save and Open common dialog

Hi

When I try to open or save file in my common dialog box always open ThisPc to show me the path. How to set it up to be closed. On my other computer ThisPc is always closed in an open or save dialog box.

many thx for help
    Reset Open and Save As Common Item Dialog Boxes in Windows d956b4c4-0083-4ef5-8a7a-e85bbdc2248a?upload=true.jpg

aljo_petek, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Try3 Win User
    Search not working in shared folders in word.

Jordy,

Just a further note about my comment, "I think you are using a later version of Word but I cannot see that being significant as I would expect it to be calling a Windows search component rather than an Office one".

A new set of tutorials confirms that this window is indeed a common Windows one not a Word one -
    Enable or Disable Places Bar in Common Dialog Box - TenForumsTutorials
    Enable or Disable Dropdown List of Recent Files in Common Dialog Box - TenForumsTutorials
    Reset Open and Save As Common Item Dialog Boxes - TenForumsTutorials

Denis

6. how to disable common open file dialog box in windows 10?

Hi, AshimShrestha,

File dialog box is necessary when:

• Opening a file. This is so one may select the file they wish to open.
    • Save As. This is necessary when clicking Save As because you may then give the file a Name or a Different Name before saving. (I do not see it appear upon clicking Save)
    • Allows you to select a different Location to Save Files
    Using Group Policy - Look for the option here:

Group Policy at the User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Attachment Manager node.

Smittychat., Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Reset Open and Save As Common Item Dialog Boxes in Windows

1. Reset Open and Save As Common Item Dialog Boxes in Windows - Similar Threads - Reset Open Save

2. Items missing in save as dialog box

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Items missing in save as dialog box: Hello, Some elements of the save as dialog box have disappeared. For example, the navigation bar and the arrows are no longer there. I am under windows 11. I don't know when the problem appeared because my computer was used by someone else. I tried a sfc scannow but it didn't...
  3. Items missing in save as dialog box

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Items missing in save as dialog box: Hello, Some elements of the save as dialog box have disappeared. For example, the navigation bar and the arrows are no longer there. I am under windows 11. I don't know when the problem appeared because my computer was used by someone else. I tried a sfc scannow but it didn't...
  4. Save As Dialog Boxes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Save As Dialog Boxes: Is there any way to bypass the following dialog box in Windows 10?and go directly to THIS instead? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/save-as-dialog-boxes/e59435c7-7ca1-4ab7-957f-0e3756499b67
  5. Replace Common Item Dialog with legacy Common File Dialog window

in Windows 10 Customization
    Replace Common Item Dialog with legacy Common File Dialog window: I know this can be done and I do recall back in 2017 I was reading about this. However there is no possibility to know where exactly I found this two years back. Just like title says, I want to replace common CIDs used post-Vista to open / browse / save file with older...
  6. Open and Save As Dialog Boxes not working Windows 10- open and save dialog boxes not...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Open and Save As Dialog Boxes not working Windows 10- open and save dialog boxes not...: New 4 Months Lennovo legion laptop with Win10 64 bit pre-installed. As indicated, the file/open file/save dialog boxes do not work for any 32 bit applications. This includes Office applications/Acrobat/Garmin/etc. Dialog boxes do work for 64 bit applications. 1 I have...
  7. Save and Open common dialog

Save and Open common dialog: Hi When I try to open or save file in my common dialog box always open ThisPc to show me the path. How to set it up to be closed. On my other computer ThisPc is always closed in an open or save dialog box. many thx for help[ATTACH]...
  8. Dialog Box Save/Open

Dialog Box Save/Open: When saving or opening a file you are promoted with a dialog box, beside the file name there is a text box and beside the text box there is down arrow that will list all your recent saved or open files with it's path, how do I not have them be saved in the drop down list? I...
  9. Windows 10 Open/Save Dialog Box

Windows 10 Open/Save Dialog Box: When saving or opening a file you are promoted with a dialog box, beside the file name there is a text box and beside the text box there is down arrow that will list all your recent saved or open files with it's path, how do I not have them be saved in the drop down list? I...
  10. Change Places Bar Items in Common Dialog Box in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Places Bar Items in Common Dialog Box in Windows: How to: Change Places Bar Items in Common Dialog Box in Windows How to Change Places Bar Items in Common Dialog Box in Windows The common open file dialog box is the window that opens when you click/tap on File (menu bar) in a program (ex: Registry Editor), and...