Windows 10: Those really familair with the registry/shell/context menu/mmc snap-in

Discus and support Those really familair with the registry/shell/context menu/mmc snap-in in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Yea convoluted title for a convoluted issue. First some back story - I apologize. I'm very specific and ocd. Bar the natural slow evolution of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by klepp0906, Sep 13, 2017.

1. klepp0906 Win User

Those really familair with the registry/shell/context menu/mmc snap-in

Yea convoluted title for a convoluted issue.

First some back story - I apologize.

I'm very specific and ocd. Bar the natural slow evolution of things over the years, ive kept my pcs with each successive build set up exactly the same way. Its painstaking at first but then im golden till I build my next one. Of course each new version of windows that Microsoft decides to bloat up at the expense of power users brings its own challenges, this one included.

Tidying up my context menu Ive always used nirsoft but it had limitations. I came across a program called Windows 10 Manager which is a suite that has a Context Menu Manager built in. I run the/a portable version since its not something I'll use often.

Using this I began having issues when I disabled certain items (I cant remember which, it was awhile ago and I'm just now finding the time to address). I found out that disabling certain items sometimes instantly/sometimes on reboot - killed my task scheduler and event viewer which are both imperative to have functioning.

So I would disable an item, check my task scheduler, if it didnt open and gave me the error "MMC Could not Create the Snap-In" with a registry clsid reference within the empty window, I would system restore, and move on/try with the next item I wanted to remove.

I finally got to such a state that My context menu is functioning/looking exactly how I want it to. My Task scheduler is working as is my event viewer.

Unfortunately the other day I went to open Windows 10 managers context menu manager. I forget why but thats irrelevant. Doing so insta-broke my mmc snap ins again. I had to system restore.

After this long drawn out story, im trying to figure out how I can/should go about addressing this. Why it is breaking, and how to stop it from breaking on opening that program? The MMC's are working now as we speak the way I want them to, so I'd like to keep this behavior but still be able to open Windows 10 Manager lol.

Also, should an accident happen and a system restore not be available to a reasonable point - how does one "fix" it and make the snap-ins work again? I've had 0 luck with this outside system restore.

Is there a registry key I can back up that encompasses them all for starters?

Apologize i know this is multi faceted and requires a lot of knowledge, reading, and likely a relatively long reply. Didnt know where else to turn.

:)

klepp0906, Sep 13, 2017

2. After KB3124262 update when I right click on the desktop the options (refresh, change desktop background, etc.) come after a delay of three to four seconds

If the delay is seen when right-clicking on the Desktop, one of the shell extensions may be causing it... Intel graphics add a shell extension in the Desktop context menu.

Right-click delays are caused by third-party shell extensions. To identify the culprit, you need to use an utility like ShellExView, and disable non-Microsoft context menu handlers one by one (or disable items in a batch) and observe

Slow Right Click:

Troubleshooting Right Click Issues Caused by Shell Extensions

ShellExView - Shell Extension Manager For Windows:

ShellExView - Shell Extension Manager For Windows

The desktop background context menu loads from these two registry keys, if you want to inspect them manually.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

and

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DesktopBackground\Shell

Ramesh Srinivasan, Sep 13, 2017
  3. Problems with Windows 10 Pro

This is the list of the third part right click extensions obtained running shexview:

Extension Name
    Disabled
    Type
    Description
    Version
    Product Name
    Company

AcContextMenuHandler
    No
    Context Menu
    AutoCAD Dwg common shell extension handler
    AutoCAD
    Autodesk

BUContextMenu Class
    No
    Context Menu
    Backup Shell
    Backup
    Symantec Corporation

IEContextMenu Class
    No
    Context Menu
    Norton Security Shell Extension Module
    Norton Security
    Symantec Corporation

NvAppShExt Class
    No
    Context Menu
    NVIDIA Shell Extensions
    NVIDIA Shell Extensions
    NVIDIA Corporation

NVIDIA CPL Context Menu Extension
    No
    Context Menu
    NVIDIA Display Shell Extension
    NVIDIA Shell Extensions
    NVIDIA Corporation

OpenGLShExt Class
    No
    Context Menu
    NVIDIA Shell Extensions
    NVIDIA Shell Extensions
    NVIDIA Corporation

TheDeskTopContextMenu Class
    No
    Context Menu
    igfxDTCM Module
    Intel(R) Common User Interface
    Intel Corporation

GianfrancoDian MS, Sep 13, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, the key thing to remember when editing your context menu entries is
    never delete or disable any by Microsoft

Shellmenuview by nirsoft has an option 'Hide standard menu items'

Shellexview allows you to hide MS items

As you probably know, no one tool nowadays seems to allow you to see all context menu entries. As System Restore can be temperamental (unreliable) perhaps a good way to secure yourself is by backing up the registry first. E,g. Tweaking.com has a good tool for that.

dalchina, Sep 13, 2017
  5. klepp0906 Win User
    Yea admittedly I have several baked in ones disabled. Most 3rd party ones are able to be selected or de selected somewhere within said application.

That being said, I'm trying to determine what is breaking it specifically at this point. Works fine until I open that app. Simply opening it changes something that breaks it.

Moreso, what can I do to fix it when broken outside of a system restore?

Any idea where the context menu stuff lies in the registry or would it be all over? I'd love to whittle it down so when it comes time to reinstall windows or build a new pc I don't have to go through this again and again lol.

klepp0906, Sep 13, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    If your PC becomes unbootable there is the possibility of booting from a boot disk, and restoring the backup copy of the registry Windows keeps. That's approaching desperation.

We strongly and repeatedly urge people to routinely use disk imaging which can protect Windows and any combination of disks and partitions. So many advantages- you can recover even if your disk fails (with a new disk of course). E.g. Macrium Reflect (free).

Many of the tools such as those I've mentioned let you launch regedit and view the key for the context menu entry. That will give you a good idea where they are.

At a detailed level, the ancient ContextEdit may interest you.

I'm not sure that would help you, as what's present depends on what you then install and how you configure it.
    Using 3rd party tools is far far safer for this than diving into the registry.

If you consistently install the same programs over several years (which itself begs a question) simply keep notes on what you do and how to do it.. that wouldn't take long to repeat.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Those really familair with the registry/shell/context menu/mmc snap-in - Similar Threads - Those really familair

2. MMC cannot initialize the snap-in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MMC cannot initialize the snap-in: I can press windows+R and enter hit type gpedit.msc after that I can open any file it shows MMC cannot initialize the snap-in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mmc-cannot-initialize-the-snap-in/e6a3d9d3-2e03-45ba-8c32-355042e4374a
  3. MMC cannot initialize the snap-in

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MMC cannot initialize the snap-in: I can press windows+R and enter hit type gpedit.msc after that I can open any file it shows MMC cannot initialize the snap-in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mmc-cannot-initialize-the-snap-in/e6a3d9d3-2e03-45ba-8c32-355042e4374a
  4. mmc snap-in task schedular

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    mmc snap-in task schedular: so i was trying to get my anti malware service executable fixed for using high disk but this happened https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mmc-snap-in-task-schedular/8b49a0d3-4a7e-4481-aec2-4aea5bf41f3c
  5. OneDrive context menu options Windows Shell

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive context menu options Windows Shell: Hello. I want to eliminate specific OneDrive options that appear in the Context Menu when I right-click on the File Explorer. I don't want to eliminate all the OneDrive options: just specific ones, like "Free up space" and "Storage at 85%: Get more". Is it possible? Thank you...
  6. MMC detects error in a snap-in

in Windows 10 Support
    MMC detects error in a snap-in: Howdy, I am running a HP All-in-One 23-g017c, Windows 10 Home 64-bit Operating system. A few hours ago I was trying to open my Event Viewer to check on something and discovered the following problem. I clicked on my Component Services like I always do. I then clicked on...
  7. MMC could not create the snap-in

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    MMC could not create the snap-in: Event viewer desapir in my laptop, i check the turnthe Microsoft.net Framwork,then in the registry i did the HKEY_LOCAL_MECHINE\Software\MICROSOFT\MMC\Snapinsvinside snapins search for the error number specified in CLSID,diddn't work,then Idid sfc /scannow, then scan with...
  8. Shell context menu registry extension doesn't work in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    Shell context menu registry extension doesn't work in Windows 10?: I'm trying to add "Tail" to the shell context menu for .txt files, but whatever I do the option just does not appear. It worked fine in Windows 7. Has this feature been disabled in Windows 10? My .reg file looks like: Code: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00...
  9. Inconsistent Shell Context Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Inconsistent Shell Context Menu: I noticed something peculiar this morning. The Explorer right-click context menu is inconsistent on what it displays. For example, when I right-clicked on one folder, it displays the "Add to Windows Media Player List" and "Play with Windows Media Player" options. [img]...
  10. MMC could not create the snap-in

in Windows 10 Support
    MMC could not create the snap-in: When I try to access Windows Firewall Advanced Settings I get an error:"MMC could not create the snap-in. The snap-in might not have been installed correctly."I have followed instructions on various forums attempting to fix, such as:deleting the relevant registry...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Windows 7 ShellMenuView nvidia cpl context menu extension explorer crash