Windows 10: throw old ram buy new ram does?

Discus and support throw old ram buy new ram does? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; if i buy new ram specifically in the same 1866mhz range for my 8~ year old computer will it make my computer faster. and yes i have google this but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by m0nk3n, Jan 28, 2018.

1. m0nk3n Win User

throw old ram buy new ram does?

if i buy new ram specifically in the same 1866mhz range for my 8~ year old computer will it make my computer faster.

and yes i have google this but always come out with "adding more ram, how it works, hardware upgrades" doesnt actually specifialy help me much *Smile

:)

m0nk3n, Jan 28, 2018
  2. Ryan_110 Win User

Changing hardware on two PC's, new hardware on one, and putting old into another.

I believe I have to replace the motherboard as I have had continual corruption of my ssd's over the last 2 years (Win 8 and also Win 10)

I have changed both the SSD and ram with the same corruption happening. Last likely thing in the equation is the motherboard to be replaced. I figure I would rather throw money at a new build rather than throw money at old hardware. My son would buy his
    own motherboard for my old processor and ram.

So by doing this I would now have to buy windows for both machines as well? Not what I was hoping for.

Ryan_110, Jan 28, 2018
  3. Windows 10 Boot Issue Weird Errors Blue Screen

Thanks for the suggestions.

Safe mode and memory tests are good with old 2GB RAM. I can't manage to run these with new 8GB RAM because the system does not boot up.

"hardware compatibility issue between Windows 10 and the new RAM chips.
    I suggest you to avoid the new 8GB RAM as Windows 10 is unable to support and throwing error."

What does this mean in terms of next try?

- Should I try with 4GB RAM (may be 4GB x 2 to make it 8GB)?

The system does not boot up even to do a fresh installation of Windows 10. After Loading Files it just shuts down.

- Should I try installing Windows XP first (system boots here) and then try Windows 10 installation? Will that work?

I believed Windows 10 is capable of making optimum use of RAM up to 24GB.

This is so frustrating.

Arti Agarwal, Jan 28, 2018
  4. sml156 Win User

Just don't make the mistake I made a couple of years ago, I tried to put 16 gig in a laptop that would not boot up because it could only go as high as 8.

Check if your computer can use it first. And yes I would upgrade the ram if you feel the cost is worth it.

sml156, Jan 28, 2018
  5. CountMike New Member
    Faster than what ? Your system from the sig ?
    Could be a bit faster only if new RAM has and can work at lower latency and/or can be overclocked, in either case gains are minimal.

CountMike, Jan 28, 2018
  6. m0nk3n Win User
    just a thought but worn out cache from old ram vs new ram would work if i threw out the old ram and bought new right ?

desktop computer with asus rampage iv extreme mb.

m0nk3n, Jan 28, 2018
  7. There is no cache on your RAM. Nothing can "wear out."

PolarNettles, Jan 28, 2018
  8. CountMike New Member

"worn out cache" ??? What are you talking about ? Physical Cache is in the processor and OS uses RAM for SW caching.

CountMike, Jan 28, 2018
  9. m0nk3n Win User
    but it has short term memory. how do i clear the short term memory in the ram ?

m0nk3n, Jan 28, 2018
  10. CountMike New Member
    It clears itself when restarted, nothing stays in RAM when powered off. A program like MemInfo can show you uses for RAM and to clear cache. Download MemInfo - MajorGeeks

CountMike, Jan 28, 2018
  11. m0nk3n Win User
    oh btw. the position of the ram sticks. since i have quad channel memory architecture and 4 x 4gb ram sticks. will it work better if i have them all on one side of the cpu? cause now i got 2 on each side.

that's making it dual channel right ?

m0nk3n, Jan 28, 2018
  12. CountMike New Member
    Quad or Dual channel depends on CPU and if it supports quad even if MB does. You should consult MB manual but best bet is to place all 4 in same colored slots. You may have to also restore defaults or reset BIOS for changes to "take".

CountMike, Jan 28, 2018
  13. LMiller7 Win User

Computer components such as RAM and CPU do not become slower as they age. Digital electronics does not work that way. Older components will provide the same performance until they fail.

Depending on the workload more RAM may be of benefit. But with 16 GB that would seem unlikely.

Faster RAM may add a few points in benchmarks but you are unlikely to see any gains in real world performance.

LMiller7, Jan 28, 2018
  14. debsawyer Win User
    It's time to buy a new computer
    throw old ram buy new ram does? [​IMG]

debsawyer, Jan 28, 2018
  15. Berton Win User
    Also, using dual-channel or quad-channel may require changing a setting in the BIOS, particularly if the RAM had been changed from what was originally in the computer at the time of the purchase or build. I got a new business-class machine a year ago with a single 8GB module, worked good but I got a good buy on 2x8GB modules but did have to make the BIOS setting change to get dual-channel use.

Berton, Jan 28, 2018
Thema:

1. throw old ram buy new ram does? - Similar Threads - throw old ram

2. Old Computer Ram Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Old Computer Ram Problem: I don't know if this is the place to ask butFor some context: I bought an old Windows laptop that had a ram stick in it already which was a DDR2 2GB possibly DIMM ram stick that I wanted to upgrade. So I bought an A-Tech 4GB DDR2 800 PC2-6400 SO-DIMM ram stick for the...
  3. Old Computer Ram Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Old Computer Ram Problem: I don't know if this is the place to ask butFor some context: I bought an old Windows laptop that had a ram stick in it already which was a DDR2 2GB possibly DIMM ram stick that I wanted to upgrade. So I bought an A-Tech 4GB DDR2 800 PC2-6400 SO-DIMM ram stick for the...
  4. I want to buy New Ram for my pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I want to buy New Ram for my pc: Hey , i want to upgrade my Computer Ram to 8GB ram but i dont know which my Motherboard can support DDR4 8GB RAM or not?PC INFORMATION:Windows 7 64xRam: 2 GBProcessor: Intel Core i7 860Graphic card: GeForce 210 Motherborad: Manufacturer: LENOVAModel: 3269A12BIOS:Brand:...
  5. I want to buy New Ram for my pc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I want to buy New Ram for my pc: Hey , i want to upgrade my Computer Ram to 8GB ram but i dont know which my Motherboard can support DDR4 8GB RAM or not?PC INFORMATION:Windows 7 64xRam: 2 GBProcessor: Intel Core i7 860Graphic card: GeForce 210 Motherborad: Manufacturer: LENOVAModel: 3269A12BIOS:Brand:...
  6. New ram

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    New ram: So currently my pc has 2 4gb sticks I found 2 1gb sticks by Elpida if I were to put them in my pc would my ram stay dual channel submitted by /u/cmoskol1 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lqpx8s/new_ram/
  7. New ram

New ram: So currently my pc has 2 4gb sticks I found 2 1gb sticks by Elpida if I were to put them in my pc would my ram stay dual channel submitted by /u/cmoskol1 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lqpx7a/new_ram/
  8. New ram

New ram: So currently my pc has 2 4gb sticks I found 2 1gb sticks by Elpida if I were to put them in my pc would my ram stay dual channel submitted by /u/cmoskol1 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lqpx3h/new_ram/
  9. Ram does not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Ram does not working: My computer has 7 gb ram but 4gb useable,whatever my oprating sys is win 10 64bit 8 cpu 2.00ghz prossesor i want render with premier cs6 videos on this computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ram-does-not-working/36d0397d-5cd1-48a4-80db-e5de51b82ae0
  10. New ram

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    New ram: I just got some new DDR4 corsair 32gbs of ram and my monitor wont pick up the signal. I also reinstalled the older ram DDR4 8gb and it still wont pick up the signal https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-ram/89ca5fad-91ea-43f6-af8a-81fca1c7cd6d