Windows 10: Thumbnail previews do not appear in OneDrive folders

Discus and support Thumbnail previews do not appear in OneDrive folders in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; (Can't seem to post this to OneDrive so reverting to Windows) My Documents on my machine is configured in my OneDrive folder system. All data is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by VSquaredX5, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Thumbnail previews do not appear in OneDrive folders

(Can't seem to post this to OneDrive so reverting to Windows)

My Documents on my machine is configured in my OneDrive folder system. All data is saved in OneDrive and then synchronized to the Cloud. Several months ago, I lost the ability to "reliably" see Thumbnail previews of images in my picture folders. Rather than seeing a thumbnail of the picture, all I see are icons. In a folder that may contain 100 picture files, there may be 5 or 10 thumbnails... The rest show a standard icon. I have tried every trouble shooting method shared on the net and from Microsoft. I just spent several hours working with the Windows 10 support team first with a junior tech and then with a senior tech and we isolated the problem to an issue with OneDrive where thumbnails do not seem to synch properly.

Example...

1. If I copy all the pictures from one of my OneDrive folders to a folder on my desktop all the thumbnails appear without an issue.
    2. If I create a new folder in OneDrive and copy the same pictures to that new folder the thumbnails appear at first... If I close the folder and reopen it, the thumbnails disappear.
    3. In working with the senior Windows tech we copied all my picture files from my OneDrive folder to a new folder on my desktop. Again all thumbnails worked correctly. After verifying that we had copied all files we deleted the pictures in OneDrive so the folder was empty. We then copied the pictures that were now in a folder on my desktop to OneDrive. Similar to #2 above, at first it appeared as everything worked correctly but when I closed the OneDrive folder and opened it again, the thumbnails disappeared.

Thumbnail previews do not appear in OneDrive folders dd082cee-1493-4bf6-9d39-96474903a43d?upload=true.jpg Thumbnail previews do not appear in OneDrive folders 937ed93e-737b-4009-a399-05f257cd0d8a?upload=true.jpg

:)

VSquaredX5, Aug 2, 2018
  2. Clavius Win User

Preview Pane for Images/Some Thumbnails/Photos not Working Only on OneDrive Folder

The preview pane and thumbnails as well as the Photos app are not working, but only on my OneDrive folder. It works fine on an exact copy of the same files that are not in the OneDrive synced folder structure (and known to Windows as being OneDrive).

• Open OneDrive Folder, navigate to photos directory
    • Sony Raw images (.ARW) do not show thumbnails. (I have the Sony plug in installed)
    • Double click on a raw file, Photos says "We can't open this file."
    • Click on a jpeg file, and with preview window turned on, no preview appears
    • Double click on jpeg file, opens fine in Photos, and then the preview window image appears

• Navigate to a directory that is not synced to OneDrive
    • Sony Raw thumbnails show up fine. They also show up in the preview window.
    • Double click on Raw file and Photos opens it up without problems

• Back to OneDrive photo directory
    • Copy raw file to desktop
    • Immediately the thumbnail appears and the file can be opened with Photos. The same file that it can't open from Explorer in the OneDrive directory

This is only happening on my desktop. My laptop is fine. Both same versions of Windows 10 Version 1709 OS Build 16299.19

Clavius, Aug 2, 2018
  3. Previews Not SHowing in OneDrive Folder

Thanks mate...had already tried both steps with no luck...

Ive also applied the one drive folder settings to all other folders......and lost thumbnail preview on all other folders...i then re-enabled it using the above method on my videos folder...thumbnails back.....i then applied the videos folder settings to
    all other folders and got thumbnails backin all folders except the onedrive one :/

Macca78-[xboxvenue], Aug 2, 2018
  4. Clavius Win User

Thumbnail previews do not appear in OneDrive folders

Preview Pane for Images/Some Thumbnails/Photos not Working Only on OneDrive Folder

Thanks for the suggestion. I uninstalled and re-installed OneDrive but the problem persists.

I just copied a Raw file to the desktop from OneDrive and the thumbnail appeared on both the desktop copy and the original. Strange.

Clavius, Aug 2, 2018
Thema:

Thumbnail previews do not appear in OneDrive folders

1. Thumbnail previews do not appear in OneDrive folders - Similar Threads - Thumbnail previews appear

2. Why will my OneDrive Folder Thumbnail Preview Not Update?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why will my OneDrive Folder Thumbnail Preview Not Update?: My OneDrive folder preview thumbnails are showing an older version of the document and I cannot get them to update. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-will-my-onedrive-folder-thumbnail-preview-not/0b117712-019a-4e99-97cc-3fc4d1200821
  3. Why will my OneDrive Folder Thumbnail Preview Not Update?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why will my OneDrive Folder Thumbnail Preview Not Update?: My OneDrive folder preview thumbnails are showing an older version of the document and I cannot get them to update. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-will-my-onedrive-folder-thumbnail-preview-not/0b117712-019a-4e99-97cc-3fc4d1200821
  4. Folder Thumbnail Preview Changes?

Folder Thumbnail Preview Changes?: Hello, I use an external HDD and created various media folders on there. I customized each folder and chose a file to show on the folder icon; however, the problem I get is that the preview seems to change on me. For example, if I view as extra large icons it displays as the...
  5. Folder Thumbnail Preview Changes?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder Thumbnail Preview Changes?: Hello, I use an external HDD and created various media folders on there. I customized each folder and chose a file to show on the folder icon; however, the problem I get is that the preview seems to change on me. For example, if I view as extra large icons it displays as the...
  6. Folder Thumbnail Preview Changes?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Windows 11: Thumbnail previews do not show on folders

Windows 11: Thumbnail previews do not show on folders: My folders are appearing as blank folder icons, where in Win 10 they showed thumbnail previews of the contents. I've searched online for answers, and most appear to apply to earlier versions, and tell me to uncheck the 'icon only, no thumbnail' choice in ViewOptions, but that...
  8. Windows 11: Thumbnail previews do not show on folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11: Thumbnail previews do not show on folders: My folders are appearing as blank folder icons, where in Win 10 they showed thumbnail previews of the contents. I've searched online for answers, and most appear to apply to earlier versions, and tell me to uncheck the 'icon only, no thumbnail' choice in ViewOptions, but that...
  9. Video Thumbnails not Generating in OneDrive folder

Video Thumbnails not Generating in OneDrive folder: Thumbnails for videos in all folders under OneDrive - Personal do not display. Thumbnails for images and other files show up perfectly and everythingshows up when not under my OneDrive - Personal folder. I haveLarge Thumbnails on, Always ShowThumbnails, Never Icons on, and...
  10. Thumbnails in my OneDrive folder do not display correctly

Thumbnails in my OneDrive folder do not display correctly: Hello, I have a very inconvenient problem with my system that I would like fixed: PROBLEM: My OneDrive folder which is located in myD: drive does not display thumbnails for any videos. Thumbnails for photos, documents, etc. display just fine, its only the video files that...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. preview does not show in onedrive

2. onedrive thumbnails not working

3. one drive files no longer show thumbnails

4. i dont see pic icon on thumnail in my onedive list of files,
  5. onedrive image preview,
  6. picture saved to one drive have stopped showing a preview thumbnail,
  7. OneDrive corrupting photos to no thumbnail,
  8. onedrive image thumbnails,
  9. onedrive picture thumbnails not working,
  10. onedrive image previews not showing in folders,
  11. thumbnail not working desktop onedrive,