Windows 10: Thumbnail previews of open programs don't close when not 'hovering'

Discus and support Thumbnail previews of open programs don't close when not 'hovering' in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I'm one of these people who doesn't appreciate the thumbnail preview of open program screens when hovering over the icon in the tray. I haven't found... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by electrojim, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Thumbnail previews of open programs don't close when not 'hovering'

I'm one of these people who doesn't appreciate the thumbnail preview of open program screens when hovering over the icon in the tray. I haven't found a way to shut this action off, although I did learn that a Registry value can be changed to increase the time it takes for the thumbnail to appear.

My biggest gripe is that, when moving off the icon in the tray, the thumbnail image remains above the icon for an indefinite period, unless I move the cursor to an unopened program icon, or hit any key on the keyboard. Is this typical behavior? Is there any way to really turn the thumbnail-on-hover function off?

Thumbnail previews of open programs don't close when not 'hovering' [​IMG]

:)

electrojim, Aug 12, 2018
  2. Delon1987 Win User

no full screen preview when hovering taskbar thumbnail

Last time when I fresh install Windows 10 and whenever i hover my mouse cursor to multiple opened browser it show thumbnails, and when I next hover the cursor to that particular thumbnails it will show full screen preview as you might say peek. Now it doesn't
    do anything anymore.

Can anyone help?

The picture attached is the preview thumbnail and when i try hover to the default Firefox browser it does not 'peek' into it anymore.

Thumbnail previews of open programs don't close when not 'hovering' d3436097-1168-4585-9c75-076346a42df5.png

Delon1987, Aug 12, 2018
  3. How to OPEN Programs in Taskbar Preview WITHOUT Clicking ??

@Triliuner I'm sorry to hear it's not as simple as that.

When you have multiple windows opened from a single application e.g. 2 separate windows from Chrome, do they show up as previews when you hover over Chrome's icon in the taskbar, or as a list? Just asking to clarify that, they are at least showing as previews. If not, this should help: Change Taskbar Thumbnail Threshold to Show List in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials

As for the different windows not showing when you hover your mouse over a preview, maybe it has something to do with the delay, see here: Change Delay Time to Show Taskbar Thumbnails in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials (restoring the default value)

I hope that helps, if not, maybe others can suggest some other things to try..

TheDeerDude, Aug 12, 2018
  4. Thumbnail previews of open programs don't close when not 'hovering'

Opening programs on a twin monitor setup

Hi,

To further assist you, we suggest for you to follow these steps:

• Hover to the open application on the taskbar.
    • You'll get a miniature Preview screen of the said application.
    • Hover your mouse over the Preview screen.
    • Right click on Restore.
    • Re-hover over the same Preview screen.
    • Right click on Move.
    • Use the arrow keys to move the application on your desired screen/position.

Let us know how it goes.

PreciousLeb, Aug 12, 2018
Thema:

Thumbnail previews of open programs don't close when not 'hovering'

1. Thumbnail previews of open programs don't close when not 'hovering' - Similar Threads - Thumbnail previews open

2. Why is the window preview that opens as a tooltip when you hover over a program in the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is the window preview that opens as a tooltip when you hover over a program in the...: So as the title says, the window preview that opens as a tooltip when you hover over a program in the Windows Taskbar doesn't update in real time when the program is DirectX based eg a video game application.This is my observation and I'm just wondering why that happens and...
  3. Why is the window preview that opens as a tooltip when you hover over a program in the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is the window preview that opens as a tooltip when you hover over a program in the...: So as the title says, the window preview that opens as a tooltip when you hover over a program in the Windows Taskbar doesn't update in real time when the program is DirectX based eg a video game application.This is my observation and I'm just wondering why that happens and...
  4. programs will not open or close

in Windows 10 Gaming
    programs will not open or close: I cannot open or close some programs. Outlook is stuck on screen. Can only 'close' by opening Word or some other. Opening using Desktop Outlook does not work....
  5. programs will not open or close

programs will not open or close: I cannot open or close some programs. Outlook is stuck on screen. Can only 'close' by opening Word or some other. Opening using Desktop Outlook does not work....
  6. Thumbnails don't show when opening picture files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Thumbnails don't show when opening picture files: Thumbnails do not load when I open picture or video folders. I have tried several remedies suggested online, but none work. Sometimes the thumbnails show, but when I close the folder and reopen they become blank 'envelopes'. Is there a simple solution I can perform myself?...
  7. Taskbar thumbnail hover preview not showing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar thumbnail hover preview not showing: So today when i hovered over a window with two tabs it is no longer showing me the thumbnail preview. What is going on please help me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/taskbar-thumbnail-hover-preview-not-showing/8dde1ed5-e2c1-4304-9de1-b349d2f597a3
  8. when move mouse in thumbnail in taskbar don't show preview

when move mouse in thumbnail in taskbar don't show preview: hi guys i have a problem in thumbnail in taskbar when move cursor mouse in thumbnail window in taskbar don't show big preview of window looking to this image for Better understand [ATTACH]...
  9. Taskbar icons don't display thumbnails when hovering

Taskbar icons don't display thumbnails when hovering: I used to be able to hover over the icons on my taskbar and preview the open windows. Now I have to click the icon see the windows. This is especially annoying when i try to change a spotify track withouth switching to the actual window. Please help....
  10. mikrosoft programs close when opened

mikrosoft programs close when opened: so i have gotten a problem with my microsoft programs, like calculator, the mail program, and one note(these are the one i have tryed) i have had this problem for over 2 months now. it dosn't have huge effekts on y life but, it has some annoying parts....