Windows 10: Thumbnails disappear in File Explorer, then Explorer freezes

Discus and support Thumbnails disappear in File Explorer, then Explorer freezes in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I noticed yesterday that after using File Explorer for a short while, it stops showing any thumbnails, and only shows a plain white icon, not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Yossu, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Yossu Win User

Thumbnails disappear in File Explorer, then Explorer freezes

Hello,

I noticed yesterday that after using File Explorer for a short while, it stops showing any thumbnails, and only shows a plain white icon, not even the default icon for a file type. I tried all the usual methods for showing thumbnails, but to no avail.

Then, after a short while, it just stops working altogether. If I try to change folder, I get the message "Working on it..." and a green (lack of) progress bar in the address bar, but nothing happens. It just sits there and refuses to show me the contents of any folder, even "This PC".

The only way I have found to solve this is to restart the machine. As you can imagine, this isn't very practical!

Anyone any ideas? It's making it really hard to do any work. Thanks.

:)

Yossu, Jan 8, 2017

2. File Explorer has gone crazy after last nights upgrade.

My only has icons instead of full descriptions. I can not get back to a point where I have tabs that actually say something. Please tell me how to get my view repaired? help... Help.... HELP!!!

File Explorer, Jan 8, 2017
  3. Windows 10 File Explorer freezes when displaying folders containing MTS files (AVCHD video)

File explorer can't build thumbnails and freezes when it tries to display a folder containing MTS files from my Canon HG G10 Video camera. Help!

GregPrickril, Jan 8, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi,
    1. Do you have any system restore points or disk images you can use to restore your PC to how it was on a date prior to this problem developing?
    (We strongly and repeatedly recommend people use disk imaging.. it means you can often recover your PC to a working state without assistance, quickly and efficiently without stress).

2. As an interim measure, try using a different file manager.
    Best Free File Manager | Gizmo's Freeware
    The best freeware file manager: a comparative analysis - freewaregenius.com

3. If (1) is not available to you:
    Does this also happen
    a. in Safe Mode
    b. if you create a new user (for test purposes)
    c. If you do a clean boot?

dalchina, Jan 8, 2017
  5. Yossu Win User
    Hee hee, I do, purely because you suggested it in reply to a previous question I had! I'm using Macrium Reflect (free edition) and take nightly backups.
    Thanks for the suggestions. However, I realised after posting that the freeze was usually shortly followed by all sorts of other things going wrong, like the Start button not working, programs not starting or ending, etc. My only recourse was to reboot.

However, it was never a reproducible problem, it was something intermittent, so hard to diagnose. I updated Windows yesterday (all Office updates, theoretically not related), and switched off thumbnail views, and all has been fine since. If it keeps on this way, I'm going to switch back on thumbnails and see what happens.
    As I said, the problem was intermittent, so I never got as far as trying any of these.

I'm going to see how it goes. If the problem comes back, I'l try some of these suggestions and see what happens.

Thanks for the reply.

Yossu, Jan 9, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Might be associated with what's being used to generate some of the thumbnails, I guess- i.e. which program.

That the start menu can show problems which are fixed on rebooting is new to me- usually that's a persistent type of fault.

dalchina, Jan 9, 2017
  7. Yossu Win User
    Well, I switched thumbnails back on about an hour ago, and so far no problems. Will see what happens during the rest of the day.

Thanks again for the help.

Yossu, Jan 9, 2017
  8. tisacco Win User

This is what shows up in Edge when I plug in the second monitor.

Thumbnails disappear in File Explorer, then Explorer freezes [​IMG]

tisacco, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Thumbnails disappear in File Explorer, then Explorer freezes - Similar Threads - Thumbnails disappear File

2. file explorer thumbnails missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file explorer thumbnails missing: I have asked for help before in this forum and a few responses have temporarily fixed the problem. I would really like a permanent fix. I have tried several of the fixes such as... Uncheck the box next to Always show icons, never thumbnails.and... File Explorer can also bug...
  3. file explorer thumbnails missing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    file explorer thumbnails missing: I have asked for help before in this forum and a few responses have temporarily fixed the problem. I would really like a permanent fix. I have tried several of the fixes such as... Uncheck the box next to Always show icons, never thumbnails.and... File Explorer can also bug...
  4. PDF thumbnails disappeared in Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    PDF thumbnails disappeared in Windows Explorer: Hello Edition Windows 10 Pro Version 20H2 Installed on ‎28-‎May-‎20OS build 19042.746 Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0 PDF APP: Nitro Pro, Sumatra, Foxit After the Windows update of mid Jan 21 and the update to Nitro 13.33 Pro the thumbnails of PDF...
  5. File explorer thumbnails not showing.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File explorer thumbnails not showing.: Recently file explorer stopped showing the thumbnails and showed a white file in its place. I tried going into view and changing the settings but it was all normal. [ATTACH]...
  6. ALL Thumbnails disappear in Windows Explorer?

ALL Thumbnails disappear in Windows Explorer?: I've searched all across the internet for this and all I see is photo thumbnails disappearing, but this case is different. Almost ALL of the thumbnails have disappeared including program icons, videos, images, music, zip files, etc. except for folders and turned into "file"...
  7. Thumbnails not showing in file explorer

Thumbnails not showing in file explorer: I don't know if this is still happening to anyone else but recently all the thumbnails/icons for my files are not showing up. It happened either late last night or earlier today out of the blue and nothing is working to fix it. Does anyone know any methods to fix the issue?...
  8. File Explorer is not showing thumbnails

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    File Explorer is not showing thumbnails: My Canon camera has the updated firmware. When I downloaded to the PC and opened the File Explorer, I saw just icons rather than thumbnails. It is Canon RP file extension cr3. Other file extensions show thumbnails. How to solve this problem??...
  9. File Explorer not showing thumbnails

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer not showing thumbnails: My file explorer is not displaying thumbnails ( as it was earlier) instead it is showing default program icon ( windows photo viewer, set as default for all pictures) for all picture files like jpgs, bmps. When I browse folders containing pictures. at first it displays...
  10. File explorer missing thumbnails

File explorer missing thumbnails: How to find thumbnails instead of icons in file explorer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-missing-thumbnails/57dcfeb0-3cff-4a19-9a9a-2dcd3f113775"

Users found this page by searching for:

1. thumbnails disappear after explorer search