Windows 10: Thumbnails in media files folders

Discus and support Thumbnails in media files folders in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello, Recently when I open a folder with media files, such as mp4 videos, I only see same thumbnails for all of them, once (before starting and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Motim, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Motim Win User

Thumbnails in media files folders

Hello,
    Recently when I open a folder with media files, such as mp4 videos, I only see same thumbnails for all of them, once (before starting and failed upgrade) each video file was a thumbnail picture of the video, and also noticed when I open such a folder, there is not the Green progress bar which indicates the content is updating. I even click on the "refresh" but nothing happens.
    Hope you know what I mean.
    How can I restore that.
    Thanks for answering.

:)

Motim, Aug 11, 2017

2. Windows 10 Handling of Thumbs.db

The short version of my question is this: Does Windows 10 Solve the thumbs.db/network-folder-delete issue that persists with every previous version of Windows (at least the ones that offer thumbnail viewing of images and other media)?

The problem is that whenever a user browses a folder that contains images or other visual media, while also having thumbnail viewing on, the OS creates a temporary hidden file (thumbs.db) which is cached in the same folder as the media for some period of
    time (seems to be a few minutes). Because it's cached in the same folder and it's OS created, it cannot be deleted by network users/browsers. What that means is that the network user (even network admins) cannot delete the folder until the local OS
    kills the temporary thumbs.db file a few minutes later.

This is a major problem for someone like myself who works with various media files over a local area network and relies on the thumbnail features of the OS, but also needs to sort through several folders and delete the ones that are not needed.

Up until now, Microsoft's only answer has been to turn off thumbnail viewing. That's not a great solution as it limits the user's features which might be needed (as thumbnails are in my case).

So I'm wondering/hoping that Windows 10 has somehow addressed this issue. If not, then unfortunately I'm going to need to migrate all my work systems over to MAC.

BrandonPaul, Aug 11, 2017
  3. Sam___ Win User
    Directories with HEVC/x265 or Hi10p/10bit video sluggish

Hi James,

I don't think this is an actual problem. It's the default behaviour of File Explorer. Once there's visual media content such as pictures or videos in a folder, Windows will create the 'thumbs.db' file and create a thumbnail for each item. The more videos
    in each folder and sub folder means that it's going to take a moment to do this. This is directly related with the power or speed of your CPU and Hard Disk Drive as the HEVC codec has to be engaged to create these thumbnails so disk and CPU are taxed heavily.

-Sam

Sam___, Aug 11, 2017
  4. Dude Win User

Hello Motim, did you click the lower right to show thumbnails?

Thumbnails in media files folders [​IMG]

Thema:

1. Thumbnails in media files folders - Similar Threads - Thumbnails media files

2. Thumbnails in folders.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Thumbnails in folders.: I have got a new laptop and it wont display thumbs on folders. I have unchecked/checked the boxes in view and performance, been on this and other forums, and done everything suggested, to no avail.Is there a way to repair/troubleshoot file explorer, other than a complete...
  3. Thumbnails in folders.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Thumbnails in folders.: I have got a new laptop and it wont display thumbs on folders. I have unchecked/checked the boxes in view and performance, been on this and other forums, and done everything suggested, to no avail.Is there a way to repair/troubleshoot file explorer, other than a complete...
  4. Video Folder Thumbnails

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Video Folder Thumbnails: When I upgraded to Windows 11 from Windows 10 Home, I lost my thumbnail images in my video folder, Instead of the thumbnail an image of the media player logo is displayed in all video folders for all videos. How can this be changed?...
  5. bug with thumbnail of folders

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    bug with thumbnail of folders: [ATTACH] for some reason if i put a notepad file into a folder and close the folder the thumbnail of the folder looks slightly corrupted. not sure why but its been like this for a day or 2 and its kind of annoying. already tried clearing out temporary files (thumbnails...
  6. Icons-Thumbnails-Folders-Files

in Windows 10 Support
    Icons-Thumbnails-Folders-Files: How do I make my PC to have folders display as icons and files to display as thumbnails? -thank you 169049
  7. Folder or image Thumbnails

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder or image Thumbnails: Hi there, I want always to show icons and folders in tumbnail. Examples: Cntrol+shift+2 I press again and again. So I want always to show thumbnail type content in all folders. Thanks All COR Designer...
  8. Folder thumbnails on taskbar?

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder thumbnails on taskbar?: Have File Explorer folders always been displayed like this? So that the full names cannot be identified when their current width is narrow? [img] Terry, East Grinstead, UK 135755
  9. PNG files have no thumbnails on desktop and in folders.

in Windows 10 Customization
    PNG files have no thumbnails on desktop and in folders.: A few weeks ago I noticed that my PNG images on my desktop and in other places like folders, etc do not have their thumbnails as they did before. I attempted to go into the folder options and edit the settings that other people recommend and nothing has helped. Any...
  10. Folder thumbnails not working.

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder thumbnails not working.: As I am creating new folders and dragging files into it the folder is not creating a thumbnail preview. Is my thumbnail cache corrupt? Would like to apply the right fix rather than an unnecessary one or one that makes things worse... [img] 97934