Windows 10: Thunderbird is killing ME!

Discus and support Thunderbird is killing ME! in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Or I'm killing myself, but anyway I'm not very computer savvy. I really have been fighting Microsoft since my WLM stopped working with outlook.com.... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by evhid1, Aug 10, 2016.

1. evhid1 Win User

Thunderbird is killing ME!

Or I'm killing myself, but anyway I'm not very computer savvy. I really have been fighting Microsoft since my WLM stopped working with outlook.com. Prior to that I lost Hotmail.com because of some security problem and had to switch to outlook. Then, Microsoft changed that so it wouldn't work with WLM. So I started using Thunderbird. It quit syncing with outlook.com and I wasn't able to get any email. I finally found out it was a SSL/TLS problem with ESET which I fixed. But the problem (I created) was to add the same outlook.com account to Thunderbird to see if that fixed the problem BEFORE I found out about the SSL/TLS problem. Now I can get rid of the second (same) account I created. I have uninstalled Thunderbird a couple of times, no help. Tried going back to an earlier version of Thunderbird no help. So if anyone knows how to get rid of one of these (same) accounts I would sure appreciate it. Thank you to all in advance.

:)

evhid1, Aug 10, 2016

2. nokia care is killing me!

This is a user to user support forum. You get help from other users here, not nokia.

All you can do is keep calling the care centre that has your phone or use the "contact us" link at the top of the page.

psychomania---01, Aug 10, 2016
  3. nokia care is killing me!

Thats all that is open to you.

There is nothing that this forum can do for you as we are just other users and the only nokia staff here are moderators, not techies.

psychomania---01, Aug 10, 2016
  4. Thunderbird is killing ME!

Hi:

>>I do not use Outlook, WLM or hotmail. But I am a long-time Thunderbird user.

A couple of things:
    • Reverting to an older, unsupported, insecure version of TB is not a good idea for many reasons (#1 = security).
    • Doing so may have "broken" your profile, where your account data, emails and other settings are stored.
    • Uninstalling the TB program will not necessarily remove your account data, as that information is stored in your profile.

>>If I understand your post correctly, you want to fully and cleanly remove all traces of TB?
    >>Doing so, if you also remove your profile, will also remove and delete all of your stored email messages (if you have been storing on them on the local computer via POP3 protocol, as opposed to IMAP).

So, before we provide suggestions on how to do that, please confirm this what you want to do, or whether you want to accomplish something else that is less destructive?

Thanks,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Aug 10, 2016
  5. evhid1 Win User
    Thank you for the quick reply.
    So to answer the question I want to do something less destructive. I would like to keep Thunderbird like it is, just delete the duplicate account I made.

evhid1, Aug 10, 2016
  6. Hi:

We don't really have enough data yet to advise you with any level of detail.

For starters, what version of TB are you now running?
    Are your mail accounts ISP, webmail, Exchange, and/or other?
    POP3 or IMAP?
    Installed security programs (AV, firewall, etc)?
    SSL/STARTLS/TLS?
    How do you connect to the internet?
    Etc.

If you have been upgrading/downgrading TB versions or doing other self-medication, it's possible that something has been corrupted in your profile.

If I were you, especially if your accounts are IMAP, not POP3, I would strongly consider making a profile/email backup, just in case.
    Then I would start from scratch after a full clean uninstall.
    (If you use POP3 protocol, you can still backup your messages on your computer and import them into your new profile later, assuming they are not corrupted.)
    The TB setup/account wizard makes the process pretty automated and easy.

Otherwise, this is likely to get very, very complicated and -- to be honest -- over my head.

Let's see if someone more expert comes along with better advice.

MM

MoxieMomma, Aug 10, 2016
  7. evhid1 Win User
    For starters, what version of TB are you now running?
    Are your mail accounts ISP, webmail, Exchange, and/or other?
    POP3 or IMAP?
    Installed security programs (AV, firewall, etc)?
    SSL/STARTLS/TLS?
    How do you connect to the internet?

1. I was using 17-8-0 but it just did a couple of updates to " 45.2.0 "
    2. Both duplicate accounts are IMAP
    3. I us ESET and had to diable SST/TLS so Thunderbird could connect with outlook.com (web version) and download emails
    4. I use Valleycom which is a fiber optic line to a dish which they installed a line of site dish to that one. (if that's what you meant)
    I have only tried the down grade thing once and it didn't work, so I still have all my files and folders and profile intact. Every thing seems to be working normally in Thunderbird "except" I have this duplicate account L: XXXX@outmail.com twice with all the folders in each. I go to the Account Settings in Tools and now when I click on the account it tells me I have a duplicate and to change the name???
    Is there a way to delete this duplicate account?

evhid1, Aug 10, 2016
  8. essenbe Win User

FWIW, WLM will work with Outlook if the accounts are set up as IMAP. I have both WLM and Thunderbird. Both will get Mail from Outlook.

essenbe, Aug 10, 2016
  9. evhid1 Win User
    I use the web version of outlook.com not sure if that works anymore. I thought you had to buy the "outlook express" program from Microsoft. I will try the WLM 2012 mail again and see if it does.

evhid1, Aug 10, 2016
  10. essenbe Win User
    Be sure and set up your Outlook accounts as IMAP not POP3. But, Thunderbird will work as well.

essenbe, Aug 10, 2016
  11. evhid1 Win User
    Thunderbird is work normally for me, except I can't get rid of this duplicate account. I was able to rename it to an old gmail account I had but when I click on manage identities the delete button is greyed out, even on the other two accounts.

evhid1, Aug 10, 2016
  12. essenbe Win User
    I'm sure @MoxieMomma can help with that much better than I can.

essenbe, Aug 10, 2016
  13. Thunderbird is killing ME!

LOL. Flattery will get you everywhere, but I think perhaps you over-estimate my abilities.*chuckle
    ----------------

Disclaimer:
    I know nothing about "Manage Identities", as I do not use anything other than default settings for that.

But, if all you want to do is to delete an account from within TB, it's pretty easy (see screen shot).
    I do not think it necessarily involves changing the "Manage Identities" settings.

CAVEAT:
    Be sure to backup your profile before making any major changes. It can be hard to "undo" significant alterations to one's profile.

Profile backup - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
    Third party profile backup software and services - MozillaZine Knowledge Base

Let us know how it goes, so that we can all learn.

MM

MoxieMomma, Aug 10, 2016
  14. evhid1 Win User
    Excellent! Thank you very much for the info. All I had to do was change the name on the duplicate account and then follow your instructions above in post #11. For some stupid reason I never saw that "Account Action" at the bottom. After reading a ton of "help" files in Mozilla and getting directed to the "Manage Identities" button then I never pulled my head out to look around. It was very easy to accomplish what I wanted to do after reading your post and I apologize for not being able to explain what it was I wanted to do. I really like Thunderbird and wanted to keep it. Thanks again for your help.

evhid1, Aug 11, 2016
  15. essenbe Win User
    Apparently I didn't overestimate your abilities. *Wink *Thumbs

essenbe, Aug 11, 2016
Thema:

1. Thunderbird is killing ME! - Similar Threads - Thunderbird killing

2. Emails will not write to Thunderbird app after Windows 10 reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Emails will not write to Thunderbird app after Windows 10 reset: I followed the procedure to reset Windows 10 on my HP Pavilion-g Laptop. It was successful and the updates installed, but now I cannot download email to my Thunderbird app and get the message "Unable to write the email to the mailbox....". "Unable to write the email to the...
  3. Emails will not write to Thunderbird app after Windows 10 reset

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Emails will not write to Thunderbird app after Windows 10 reset: I followed the procedure to reset Windows 10 on my HP Pavilion-g Laptop. It was successful and the updates installed, but now I cannot download email to my Thunderbird app and get the message "Unable to write the email to the mailbox....". "Unable to write the email to the...
  4. Emails will not write to Thunderbird app after Windows 10 reset

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Mozilla Thunderbird keeps asking for Password.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mozilla Thunderbird keeps asking for Password.: Mozilla Thunderbird keeps asking for the Password for my Hotmail Account. As it was the old version of it I had I uninstalled it. I then installed the latest version Thunderbird 11.5.0.1 Supernova 64 BIt. It stopped doing for a bit but now it has started to ask for the...
  6. Mozilla Thunderbird keeps asking for Password.

Mozilla Thunderbird keeps asking for Password.: Mozilla Thunderbird keeps asking for the Password for my Hotmail Account. As it was the old version of it I had I uninstalled it. I then installed the latest version Thunderbird 11.5.0.1 Supernova 64 BIt. It stopped doing for a bit but now it has started to ask for the...
  7. Mozilla Thunderbird keeps asking for Password.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  8. Windows is blocking Thunderbird from getting mail and saving passwords

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows is blocking Thunderbird from getting mail and saving passwords: When both Windows and Thunderbird are in normal mode retrieving mail and saving passwords does not workhere is the problemWhen Thunderbird starts it asks for the password to get mail. After entering the password, Thunderbird hangs with 'Host contacted, sending login...
  9. Windows is blocking Thunderbird from getting mail and saving passwords

Windows is blocking Thunderbird from getting mail and saving passwords: When both Windows and Thunderbird are in normal mode retrieving mail and saving passwords does not workhere is the problemWhen Thunderbird starts it asks for the password to get mail. After entering the password, Thunderbird hangs with 'Host contacted, sending login...
  10. Windows is blocking Thunderbird from getting mail and saving passwords

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging

Users found this page by searching for:

1. uninstall thunderbird 68.0 corrupted my windows 10 start