Windows 10: ticking

Discus and support ticking in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I think the HDD is going. Do I just install it and recover from my Macrium image as usual or do I have to format etc.? What else could be making an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by maranna, Apr 15, 2016.

1. maranna Win User

ticking

I think the HDD is going. Do I just install it and recover from my Macrium image as usual or do I have to format etc.?

What else could be making an intermittent ticking?

I ran Dell DX and it said all OK as did Speccy but I don't trust software testing.

Should I run it till it goes or be preemptive? I ask b/c I am not sure.

TY
    Peter

:)

maranna, Apr 15, 2016

2. tick tick sound

Is tik tik sound, the sound is not from the keypad tones. I turn off the keypad tones. The sound is from the keypad.

tiktik---01, Apr 15, 2016
  3. tick tick sound

Hi all, i got this phone almost one month. When i press the "Selection key", the phone give me "tik tik" sound upon release the key. Anybody encouter the same problem? how to solve?

I do feel the phone is not solid enough until i need to becareful when pressing any key. ticking :(

tiktik---01, Apr 15, 2016
  4. ticking

By all means , if you even THINK it could be going, back up immediately and replace the drive. Better to be safe in situations like this. Don't think you'll need to format the new HDD first, just install it and reimage.

indianacarnie, Apr 15, 2016
  5. maranna Win User
    What happens if I wait and have a good image? Could I then replace it and recover?

maranna, Apr 15, 2016
  6. Yes , I suppose so. But you would lose anything between when the image was made and when it finally dies. Its not hard to change a drive or to re-image if that's your concern.

indianacarnie, Apr 15, 2016
  7. maranna Win User
    It sounds like a bad bearing or a hard drive. Is it true a PSU does not make this ticking sound. I was told it is rare and would exclude one more thing.
    I could remove the graphics card too -it has a fan.

maranna, Apr 15, 2016
  8. ticking

Maranna, why don't you take it to a computer shop?

Vince Massi, Apr 15, 2016
  9. maranna Win User
    If I have to, I will. I am elderly and ill and on a disability pension so would first like to see if I can get it straightened out. If I was working I would have done so.

maranna, Apr 15, 2016
  10. maranna Win User
    I just opened it on the bench and no noise neither any loose ties.
    I watched fans pinning and checked for loose cables . When I tested it the ticking came back. I unplugged the video card to bypass that but it still ticked. Doesn't it sound like the hard drive?
    Would the hard drive make a sound if bench testing as it was quiet all the time it was on the bench?

maranna, Apr 16, 2016
  11. bobkn Win User
    I believe that changing the position of a dying HD can cause it to stop clicking for a while.

I don't have a lot of experience with dying HDs. The only clicker I remember was as external SCSI 45MB (that's megabytes) drive I used on a Mac about 30 years ago. The sounds it made were more like cricket chirps than clicks.

I hope that $50US (approximate replacement price at Computer Parts, Laptops, Electronics, and More - Newegg.com) is tolerable. If the drive is the 1TB drive listed in your system specs, I suggest replacing it with a 2TB one. The price will be about the same. Even if you have no need for the extra capacity, the performance may be better if the data density on the platter(s) is higher.

It's good that you appear to have the ability to do the replacement yourself.

bobkn, Apr 16, 2016
  12. maranna Win User
    Thankfully I can replace it. Recovering data from my Macrium image will be another thing unless it is like a typical recovery.
    I used Speccy to find out what I need. I will get the 500 GB as I only use 38 GB any way.
    I saw one in a local store for $35.
    TY

maranna, Apr 16, 2016
  13. maranna Win User

ticking

>>Long story short I have a WD $39 1 T installed and have defaulted the BIOS and recovered Macrium. No noise.
    I cannot thank you all enough for all your kind advice.
    Peter

maranna, Apr 18, 2016
  14. maranna Win User
    Hello
    I waited a week to be sure and since I replaced the new HDD not only is the ticking gone but the flickering also.
    Thank you for your help
    Peter

maranna, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

ticking

1. ticking - Similar Threads - ticking

2. Why are all my Revit files not showing in Windows Search despite being ticked on in my...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why are all my Revit files not showing in Windows Search despite being ticked on in my...: All my Revit files doesn't appear on Windows Search results. I checked and it is ticked on in Indexing Options. I tried to remove it among the included file types and added it back again, still nothing happens. I also tried to rebuild and trouble shoot the index but it...
  3. Why are all my Revit files not showing in Windows Search despite being ticked on in my...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why are all my Revit files not showing in Windows Search despite being ticked on in my...: All my Revit files doesn't appear on Windows Search results. I checked and it is ticked on in Indexing Options. I tried to remove it among the included file types and added it back again, still nothing happens. I also tried to rebuild and trouble shoot the index but it...
  4. Windows media player columns not appearing when ticked etc

Windows media player columns not appearing when ticked etc: In Windows media Player, the columns are not helpful. I cannot get album artist and contributing artist together in some views even when the option is ticked in 'Choose columns'. there are several screens where the columns i have ticked don't appear at all. In others i cannot...
  5. Windows media player columns not appearing when ticked etc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows media player columns not appearing when ticked etc: In Windows media Player, the columns are not helpful. I cannot get album artist and contributing artist together in some views even when the option is ticked in 'Choose columns'. there are several screens where the columns i have ticked don't appear at all. In others i cannot...
  6. how to remove UAC Sheild from Icon in desktop and run as administration has no tick marked

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to remove UAC Sheild from Icon in desktop and run as administration has no tick marked: How to remove the UAC Sheild from the Icon on the desktop and run it as the administration has no tick mark? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-uac-sheild-from-icon-in-desktop-and/83bc899c-94af-4f9d-b9a8-a2693f755dfe
  7. how to remove UAC Sheild from Icon in desktop and run as administration has no tick marked

how to remove UAC Sheild from Icon in desktop and run as administration has no tick marked: How to remove the UAC Sheild from the Icon on the desktop and run it as the administration has no tick mark? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-uac-sheild-from-icon-in-desktop-and/83bc899c-94af-4f9d-b9a8-a2693f755dfe
  8. I can't login to Windows after ticking the box "account is disabled* under lusrmgr.msc

I can't login to Windows after ticking the box "account is disabled* under lusrmgr.msc: When I set up Windows 11 it made a duplicate login. One that was linked to my Microsoft account Leon Lam shows picture and another that appears to be a "local account" Leon Lam doesnt show picture. Everytime I turned on my computer it tried logging in to the "local account"...
  9. I can't login to Windows after ticking the box "account is disabled* under lusrmgr.msc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't login to Windows after ticking the box "account is disabled* under lusrmgr.msc: When I set up Windows 11 it made a duplicate login. One that was linked to my Microsoft account Leon Lam shows picture and another that appears to be a "local account" Leon Lam doesnt show picture. Everytime I turned on my computer it tried logging in to the "local account"...
  10. Mistakenly didn't tick disable all microsoft apps clean boot

Mistakenly didn't tick disable all microsoft apps clean boot: I had problems of laptop being slow so i looked up online and it said you should do an clean boot i did it but i didnt click disalbe all microsoft apps. After that i cant log in, set up my pin or do anything please help....