Windows 10: tile open file location

Discus and support tile open file location in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello. Used to be able to "open file location" to rename a tile. Anyone know where they moved "tile" texts or tile shortcuts to? This is about build... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by nt62, Feb 23, 2018.

1. nt62 Win User

tile open file location

Hello. Used to be able to "open file location" to rename a tile.
    Anyone know where they moved "tile" texts or tile shortcuts to?
    This is about build 17107

not in the usual place?
    not showing "open file location" ?

tile open file location [​IMG]

:)

2. DaveM121 Win User

I have windows 10... better identified start window icon

Right click a start menu tile/item and click "More" - "Open file location". You can then rename the shortcut in that location and after a restart the tile should be renamed . . .

DaveM121, Feb 23, 2018
  3. RDrewD2 Win User
    I have windows 10... better identified start window icon

Try right-clicking a different tile (or a few different tiles) until one gives you the option to open the file location.
    All the start tile shortcuts are kept in the same folder, so once you get that folder open you should be able to spot the shortcut for the tile that you want to edit somewhere in that list, and then rename it. If that's not working for you, just navigate
    (in file explorer) to:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

and find your shortcut in there, that should be the file location you're looking for.

RDrewD2, Feb 23, 2018
  4. Edwin New Member

tile open file location

If that tile was created with Edge, there won't be a shortcut to it.

Edwin, Feb 23, 2018
  5. nt62 Win User
    Thanks Edwin. Yes, with Edge.
    I can make tile shortcuts with edgeTile but ok, well, I can live with that limitation.

Without renaming, tiles made with "Edge" are cryptic
    as "whatever ….." until one runs a pointer on top to get a tooltip

6. Edwin New Member
    Yeah, they should at least provide a prompt for you to custom name the tile something short!

tile open file location [​IMG]

Edwin, Feb 23, 2018
  7. Bree New Member
    The tiles made by Edge use the title of the web page, it's the same text as you see in Edge on the page's tab.

Edge, in common with all the Windows Apps, doesn't have a 'file location' in its More> menu on Start. You won't see one for Calculator either, for example.

Bree, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

tile open file location

1. tile open file location - Similar Threads - tile open file

2. "Open file location" opens shortcut location instead of the file location..

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Open file location" opens shortcut location instead of the file location..: I think the title sums up this annoying issue, but I'll elaborate anyway for the sake of clarity:When I right click on a program in the Start menu and click on "Open file location" it should, by right, open the location of the file, but it never does. It always opens the...
  3. "Open file location" opens shortcut location instead of the file location..

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Open file location" opens shortcut location instead of the file location..: I think the title sums up this annoying issue, but I'll elaborate anyway for the sake of clarity:When I right click on a program in the Start menu and click on "Open file location" it should, by right, open the location of the file, but it never does. It always opens the...
  4. saving files and opening file location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    saving files and opening file location: Is it possible to open the file location automatically once saving a document in a file. Usually when i print to pdf something or save it to a file I need to locate it to use it eg. send in an email or drop in my google drive. ....
  5. saving files and opening file location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    saving files and opening file location: Is it possible to open the file location automatically once saving a document in a file. Usually when i download something or save it to a file I need to locate it to use it eg. send in an email or drop in my google drive. ....
  6. saving files and opening file location

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    saving files and opening file location: Is it possible to open the file location automatically once saving a document in a file. Usually when i download something or save it to a file I need to locate it to use it eg. send in an email or drop in my google drive. ....
  7. Open File Location in Photos

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Open File Location in Photos: How can I open the folder containing the image file that is open in Photos? This used to be a right-click option, but it's now gone. I know that the path of the file can be viewed via `Right-click > File information > Folder path`; but that does not offer a way to get to...
  8. Open File Location?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Open File Location?: I've had Win 10 for a few months now and one thing I'd like to change is, when I do a Start button Search, and R click a result, I don't see the option to Open File Location. can I enable this somehow??...
  9. Open file location missing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Open file location missing: Right click open file location missing from pop up menu. Corona, or whatever it's called is disabled or removed from day 1, not sure if that has something to do with it. Doesn't show the trail on lefthand tree either. Have to open the file, click save as and hope it shows...
  10. Open file location

in Windows 10 Support
    Open file location: When I select "Open file location" it opens the program folder. EDIT: The issue may be that I used "ProgramLocation\ProgramName" "FileLocation\FileName" to open the file because it is Excel and this prevents it opening in the same instance. EDIT 2: That is the problem,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. When I right click on a live tile there is no open file location2