Windows 10: Time limit on Pc or allow pc to use for certain hours.

Discus and support Time limit on Pc or allow pc to use for certain hours. in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; HI. I am not sure if similar post exist b4. So my question is I want to set time or timer that Windows log out after few hours use of PC or set time... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by PressF5, Dec 17, 2017.

1. PressF5 Win User

Time limit on Pc or allow pc to use for certain hours.

HI. I am not sure if similar post exist b4. So my question is I want to set time or timer that Windows log out after few hours use of PC or set time like no use of pc more than 10 PM With admin access. I know that If I make standard or Kid account may do it. But I want it in admin account with full access because some programs wont run thx

:)

PressF5, Dec 17, 2017
  2. Sammy Can Win User

Windows 10 loop hole for screen time requests.

My son recently discovered that when his screen time limit was reached it was easier to reboot the pc and login again for the allowable length of time. Example there is a 2 hour max time limit, at the 2 hour mark he submits the request for more screen time
    and rather than wait for my reply, he reboots the pc and it let's him login again for another 2 hours.

Is it this an issue with the setup or is this something that needs to be corrected by Microsoft. Please advise?

Sammy Can, Dec 17, 2017
  3. Jhondra Win User
    cumulative screen time across devices in Family safety issue

This is RIDICULOUS. PLEASE allow us to set a MAX time per person across all devices. Sometimes my child wants to play 3 hours of Xbox and sometimes 3 hours of Minecraft on PC. Do not make me limit them to 1.5hr each for a 3 hour total. Are you MAD?

Jhondra, Dec 17, 2017
  4. PressF5 Win User

I forget to mention that after log out windows should not allow user to login back until next day thx

PressF5, Dec 17, 2017
  5. dmholt57 Win User
    Look at the Parental Controls on your router. *Cool

dmholt57, Dec 17, 2017
  6. Layback Bear, Dec 17, 2017
  7. Kari Win User
    Open an elevated Command Prompt, following command would allow user JohnDoe to sign in only weekdays between 09:00 and 17:00 (9AM and 5PM):

net user JohnDoe /time:M-F,09-17

All weekdays the same time:

net user JohnDoe /time:M-S,09-17

Time can be given both in 12 and 24 hour formats:

net user JohnDoe /time:M-F,9AM-5PM

Day or day range and time are separated with comma. Time can only be given in full hours (13 or 1PM is OK, 13:15 or 1:15PM not). Days can be given either as full names (Monday, Tuesday etc.) or abbreviations (M,T,W,Th,F,Sa,Su), or combination of these. Days can always be given in English regardless of Windows display language, but localized day names can also be used. For instance in Swedish Windows it's the same if I use Monday - Friday or Måndag - Fredag.

Following command would allow user JohnDoe to sign in only on Mondays and Tuesdays between 09:00 and 17:00 (9AM-5PM), on Wednesdays and Thursdays between 11:00 and 15:00 (11AM-3PM), on Fridays and Saturdays between 08:00 and 14:00 (8AM-2PM), and on Sundays between 16:00 and 22:00 (4PM-10PM):

net user JohnDoe /time:M-T,9-17;W-Th,11-15;F-Sa,8-14;Su,16-22

Semicolon (Time limit on Pc or allow pc to use for certain hours. ;) separates days / day ranges.

Reset login access to 24/7:

net user JohnDoe /time:All

Time limit on Pc or allow pc to use for certain hours. [​IMG]

Access can be restricted for all standard and admin accounts, be it a local, Microsoft or Azure AD (Work / school) account. Exception: built-in administrator's access can't be restricted. In domain environments restrictions should be done from domain controller.

If user signs in just before end of allowed login time, user can remain signed in as long as PC is not shut down, restarted or user has not signed out. Signing back in is then not allowed, user must wait until start of next allowed login time. If you also want user to be forced to sign out at the end of the allowed time, you can use a scheduled task for it.

8. lx07 Win User

Anything that you set up, a user who is part of Administrators group can undo. There is a trade off between this (how rigorously you want to enforce hours) and granting them permission to do whatever they want (including bypassing restricted hours).

The problem (perhaps) is if it is an admin account then that user can undo any changes - they could run net user JohnDoe /time:All for example. They would have to signed on and remember to do it before their time was up of course. If they did this the fact would be stored in the event log (unless they cleared the event logs). You could tell they had done something but you can't stop them doing it.

Even if you have some old program that requires administrator privileges you should be able to run it as administrator from a standard account. You can even grant this authority automatically (See here Elevated Program Shortcut - Create for Standard User - Windows 7 Help Forums) but that again lets the user run with Administrator rights if they know what they are doing.

Perhaps you need to look into what programs will not run as a standard user. Which programs do you have a problem with?

9. Kari Win User
    The OP's question is an oxymoron: Restricting access for user who has rights to revoke and cancel those restrictions. Instructions in my previous post suit better for restricting access for standard users but as the same commands can be used to restrict admin account's access, the post answers OP's question.

But, as you said, it really is useless because an admin whose access has been restricted can just reset any restrictions next time he / she is allowed to sign in.

10. PressF5 Win User
    Thanks to all reply guys. Parent control only work with child account not in another admin account. Because some program in child account require admin access and that should not be pop up. Anyway I try it. Thx for info and time

PressF5, Dec 18, 2017
  11. PressF5 Win User
    My main reason to limit for my small bro. He play games too much about 5 - 7 hours. So I want to reduce his time. Most games he play requires admin access this is where I having problem. So even I set account as child or standard account those games won’t work which require admin access. Idk what actually I need to do

PressF5, Dec 21, 2017
  12. lx07 Win User
    Just tell him to stop then.

You are the adult in this conversation.

13. Kari Win User

I agree.

One possible scenario which I would at least try is to make his account standard, then apply time restrictions as I told in my earlier post, and finally make the game shortcuts to him elevated as lx07 told you earlier.

It should work.

14. Barman58 Win User
    It may be possible to set the user as a standard user and then create automatic Admin shortcuts to run the game, whilst not allowing access to admin features ...

Create Elevated Shortcut without UAC prompt in Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

You may have issues with some games as the developers just create a link to other admin only programs ( or just ignore the development Rules/Guidlines that Microsoft provide and store user files in a protected system area and not in the User folders ), but is worth a try

Barman58, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Time limit on Pc or allow pc to use for certain hours. - Similar Threads - limit allow certain

2. Pc does'nt allow use of microphone

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pc does'nt allow use of microphone: I am unable to use neither my bluetooth headphone with an inbuilt mic, nor my wired earbuds as microphones.Here is a link to another thread where i explain how i am unable to use the "Set up Microphone" button to set up a microphone and how i took actions to resolve the...
  3. Pc does'nt allow use of microphone

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pc does'nt allow use of microphone: I am unable to use neither my bluetooth headphone with an inbuilt mic, nor my wired earbuds as microphones.Here is a link to another thread where i explain how i am unable to use the "Set up Microphone" button to set up a microphone and how i took actions to resolve the...
  4. PC Time Is correct but App times are 3 hours behind

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC Time Is correct but App times are 3 hours behind: I have my time set to UTC-08:00 Pacific Time US & Canada. Which is the right time zone but my apps like discord and Instagram are all 3 hours behind and I don't know how to fix this. I won't be able to respond for 6 hours since I'm busy, but will respond when I can....
  5. PC Time Is correct but App times are 3 hours behind

in Windows 10 Customization
    PC Time Is correct but App times are 3 hours behind: I have my time set to UTC-08:00 Pacific Time US & Canada. Which is the right time zone but my apps like discord and Instagram are all 3 hours behind and I don't know how to fix this. I won't be able to respond for 6 hours since I'm busy, but will respond when I can....
  6. PC not allowing headset to be used

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    PC not allowing headset to be used: Hi there, I have come into a few annoying issues with my PC as of late but I have worked around them. But in the last month a new issue began where my computer does not allow any usb headset to work properly. It came out of nowhere, one day I just plugged in my headset and in...
  7. Screen time limit excluding certain sites.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Screen time limit excluding certain sites.: Hi there - is it possible to set screen time limits by excluding certain sites. For example, lets say I want to create a 1 hour 'fun' screen time limit for my kid, but do not want any time spent on khanacademy.org to count towards this limit. Is it possible to do this?...
  8. How to put time limit on use of certain website for kids

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to put time limit on use of certain website for kids: As an example I want to allow kid in my family to spent not more then 2 hours per day on youtube. I do not want to block it completely just limit the total time they can spend each day. How I do it? --Thanks...
  9. Is there a way to turn on pc at certain time?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to turn on pc at certain time?: Is there a way to set my pc to turn on at only a set specific time by the power button? submitted by /u/JShash [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/g9gewy/is_there_a_way_to_turn_on_pc_at_certain_time/
  10. Limit access to certain websites for set number of hours

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Limit access to certain websites for set number of hours: This question is related to restrictions set by parents for the kid. My kid (11) plays a lot of Roblox but since he broke his phone screen (due to negligence), he has to use the PC to play the game. Due to half of the class and many kids from the neighborhood being on...