Windows 10: time wrong, while time zone is correct.

Discus and support time wrong, while time zone is correct. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Every boot my computer's clock is 7 hours fast. The time zone is correctly set to UTC -08:00 I have set it to synchronize with time.windows.com as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ThaHypnotoad, Oct 15, 2016.

1. time wrong, while time zone is correct.

Every boot my computer's clock is 7 hours fast.
    The time zone is correctly set to UTC -08:00
    I have set it to synchronize with time.windows.com as well as time.nist.com, to similar results.

When clicking the "update now" button I get the error: "An error occurred while Windows was synchronizing with time.foo.com. This operation returned because the timeout period expired."

(and with traditional Microsoft incompetence this error message was placed in the actual dialog, so no copy and paste! I get to type everything out!)

Clicking it again successfully synchronizes it.

I DO NOT want to do this every damn boot, as it requires clicking through 5 separate dialogs. What the hell is up here?

:)

ThaHypnotoad, Oct 15, 2016
  2. Ken Blake Win User

Time Zone is right- wrong time

What does rebooting do to the time?

How old is the computer? Has the motherboard battery ever been changed?

Ken Blake, Oct 15, 2016
  3. 'Mike P Win User
    Time Zone is right- wrong time

Think maybe 8 out of 10 times that I install windows the time is off even if the time zone is correct. But usually off by even hours and minutes.

Something has changed though fairly recently - dont recall ever needing to manually start the w32time before running the sync.

some commands, Command prompt admin

sc start w32time

w32tm /resync /nowait time sync.

time /t current time

time to set current time

'Mike P, Oct 15, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

time wrong, while time zone is correct.

"time.foo.com" returns a message that it does not exist when pasted into the URL box [Address box]. One thing usually necessary is to enter the BIOS Setup during the bootup and set the time correctly. Then I sometimes find it necessary to go into Settings and turn Off the automatic check and set of the time.

Berton, Oct 15, 2016
  5. I'm... not sure if you're serious... I'll clarify the wording. "foo" is the universal space filling "variable" so to speak when it comes to software, when the actual contents of whatever "foo" is replacing are not relevant. "bar" is also often used when "foo" is already in use.

I never actually tell it to go to "time.foo.com", I'm saying that "time.{windows,nist, etc}.com" is what I'm telling it to go to and that all behave the same.

6. Berton Win User
    Had to go with what was posted, if wrong then obviously it was done wrong, not my problem. In this day and age of technology one never knows what is accurate/valid and what is not.

Berton, Oct 15, 2016
  7. Also I just took a look at the time in bios and it was also correct.

8. time wrong, while time zone is correct.

By the way, just set up a new desktop... guess what happens? time gets offset once again.

Same issue with attempting to update the time and getting the error message that the operation timed out. Do it again and it works. Has literally ANYONE had this issue?

ThaHypnotoad, Oct 24, 2016
  9. Are you only running Windows on your machine?

Live Linux Distros often change the time.
    Unfortunately LM18 does this after it has been installed (the first time I've ever experienced this with an installed Linux OS).

What I find weird is that Windows doesn't time sync during boot/login.

lehnerus2000, Oct 24, 2016
  10. Excellent information lehnerus! I do in fact have ubuntu 16.04 installed on both machines. Now that you mention it this issue only started happening when I installed 16.04 (clean install) I'll get back to you if I can reproduce the issue either by simply booting into my linux partition, or by doing something in there. If not I'll continue to research.

Thanks tons lehnerus!

ThaHypnotoad, Oct 24, 2016
  11. Superfly Win User
    Linux uses UTC and sets it in bios while it remembers your time zone , while windows does it the other way round - thus Windows gets outta sync - but anyway, you can set the "Network time" off in Ubuntu and still sync with time.foo

Superfly, Oct 24, 2016
  12. bro67 Win User
    The easy way is to go into /etc/default/rcS and cange UTC = yes to UTC = no.

There is a third party time sync TSR that you can run in Windows to use as a bandaid, if you forget to go into the Bios when using tools like Clonezilla to clone a drive.

bro67, Oct 24, 2016
  13. time wrong, while time zone is correct.

I tried that fix in LM18 MATE about a month ago.
    I didn't mention it, as (on my PC) it worked the first time (test run) but it hasn't worked since. *Sad

Note:
    I haven't checked to see if something creates a new version of that "rcS" file at every boot/login.

lehnerus2000, Oct 25, 2016
  14. bro67 Win User
    It is a factor of two evils. This is where the other file is that affects clock settings.

2.4 How Linux keeps Track of Time Zones

You probably set your time zone correctly when you installed Linux. But if you have to change it for some reason, or if the local laws regarding DST have changed (as they do frequently in some countries), then you'll need to know how to change it. If your system time is off by some exact number of hours, you may have a time zone problem (or a DST problem).

Time zone and DST information is stored in /usr/share/zoneinfo (or /usr/lib/zoneinfo on older systems). The local time zone is determined by a symbolic link from /etc/localtime to one of these files. The way to change your timezone is to change the link. If your local DST dates have changed, you'll have to edit the file.

The Archwiki has saved my rear a few times when working with Linux. I always use Webmin on those machines that are servers. I used to swap between Linux Mint and Windows 10 when 10 first came out. I would keep a up to date cloned image on my NAS, so that I could use Clonezilla to swap the install on my Laptop that I had at that time. I do not even bother with dual boot on my Macbook Air, since my wife has Windows 10 on her laptop.

bro67, Oct 26, 2016
  15. Thanks for that tip. *Smile

I haven't had any time to look into it yet (too busy battling Android+Java+MVC).

lehnerus2000, Nov 4, 2016
Thema:

time wrong, while time zone is correct.

1. time wrong, while time zone is correct. - Similar Threads - wrong while zone

2. Windows Defaulting to Wrong Time Zone

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Defaulting to Wrong Time Zone: This problem has been going on for over a month now. Back in Dec 2020, I borrowed my brother's modem he's from Brisbane. I live in Victoria. Ever since then, my computer seems to think it is in Brisbane. Even when I set the time manually, after turning my computer off...
  3. Windows Auto Time Zone correct, but time is wrong - even when sync with time server

Windows Auto Time Zone correct, but time is wrong - even when sync with time server: Hello, I live in Belgium, time zone UTC+1 Brussels settings screenshot below. Windows detects the correct time zone, but the time is not correct! It is 1 hour behind. So below in the screenshot, it says "07:48" while it's actually 08:48. I'm working with gmail and the e-mail...
  4. Wrong 'Time Zone'

Wrong 'Time Zone': Hi there, After post my question I've read many posts trying to solve that issue. For some reason, the time zone configured in my Windows 10 is 'UTC+00:00 Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London'. I've followed guidelines about how to change it to 'UTC+01:00 Brussels, Copenhagen,...
  5. Time displayed is wrong even though time zone is correct.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Time displayed is wrong even though time zone is correct.: So I bought the HP Pavilion, and the time is just fucked up. I am certain I selected the correct time zone, but the time is wrong. I've tried to just manually set the time, but whenever I shut the laptop down and turn it on again, the time would refuck itself. I've even tried...
  6. wrong time zone

wrong time zone: I just bought a refurb comp but the time zone is set for pacific time and I live in eastern time zone. how do I change it? I have win 10 pro 64 bit https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wrong-time-zone/c802ddbb-c0d7-4ce8-83fa-c7529fa6d00b
  7. Time zone always wrong

Time zone always wrong: So I need some help with my clock and time zone settings. I have multiple windows 10 computers in my house, and they all have the incorrect time zones. For some reason, they think we are in Beijing, China, even though we are in the eastern United States. my first assumption...
  8. Time zone is correct, but Time is wrong

Time zone is correct, but Time is wrong: The automatic time zone in Vilnius, Lithuania is UTC +3 hrs. This is accurate during daylight savings time. However, the time displayed on the clock is wrong. Interestingly, Windows is not the only source that gets this wrong. The website Time Difference lists the time as...
  9. Wrong time zone detected

in Windows 10 Support
    Wrong time zone detected: When I go up to my cabin, Windows always changes my time zone to Pacific. I'm in Mountain Time, and I actually go east to get to the cabin. I don't know if it's the IP address, or the WiFi network, or what, but it happens every time. If I go into Time settings and disable...
  10. Windows 10 gives the wrong time but is set to the correct time zone

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 gives the wrong time but is set to the correct time zone: Hello, Yesterday I installed Windows 10 Professional on my Acer Aspire V5-573G laptop. I installed the English (US) version even though I live in the Netherlands. When I corrected the time I have set it to the correct timezone (see screenshot) but it has the wrong time...