Windows 10: Timeout Settings not working since W10 Upgrade

Discus and support Timeout Settings not working since W10 Upgrade in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Prior to W10 Upgrade (when I was on W7), my laptop would go 'off' - as programmed in my Settings - after X minutes' idleness (though if I caught it as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by soobell, Sep 7, 2015.

1. soobell Win User

Timeout Settings not working since W10 Upgrade

Prior to W10 Upgrade (when I was on W7), my laptop would go 'off' - as programmed in my Settings - after X minutes' idleness (though if I caught it as it was just going off, & I tapped a key or moved the mouse, it would revert to the screen (progs, open windows etc) I'd been using). But since W10 Upgrade, it now switches off after 2 minutes and I have to log back in (ie using password) to get back to where I'd been. I have tried (umpteen times......) to find a Setting which is NOT already set to my desired 10 (for battery) or 20 minutes (for when plugged in). I've even tried changing them to 'never'. But nothing works. I don't use a Screen Saver, and - so far as I'm aware - have never used a 'Lock Screen' option, & I always use it plugged in. I'm not on a 'network - I'm the sole 'Administrator' / User. I have been unable to find this subject on Microsoft's W10 forum, nor found other users reporting the same problem. Any ideas would be most welcome.
    UPDATE: Feel v. embarrassed - have just seen similar post (from rpol16, 2 weeks ago). Have now tried CaesarMagnus' trick of switching on using the power button, instead of the mouse, & - hey presto - no more "sleep after 2 minutes' idleness" problem. As he says, it's not really an ideal solution but it's good enough for me, so Thank You !

:)

soobell, Sep 7, 2015

2. Lock screen woes

The lock screen on my new W10 PC comes on far too early. I need a timeout of about 30 minutes because of the sort work I do. All the info on the net refers to W8 and the changes you can make there, but the bits you are supposed to change aren't in W10! (Change
    advanced power settings>display>console timeout)

Any ideas?

ligularian, Sep 7, 2015
  3. When will the Screen Saver and timeout functionality be operational in W10.

I have not had the Screen Saver or Timeout functionality available since I upgraded to WIN10 last year.

I tried all 3 Methods that were suggested and my screen saver and Timeout STILL do not work.

I can Timeout by pressing the Moon button on my new HP Keyboard.

I have an HP Pavilion 23 desktop computer.

Dave.Robinson16, Sep 7, 2015
Thema:

Timeout Settings not working since W10 Upgrade

1. Timeout Settings not working since W10 Upgrade - Similar Threads - Timeout Settings working

2. Unable to Map Network Drive since W10 upgrades

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to Map Network Drive since W10 upgrades: I have a local NAS connected to my home Router, and for many years have happily connected to the individual HDD’s by ‘Mapping the drives’There is a mapping Utility which runs and identifies IP address of NAS and the volume, but when I try to connect gives ‘Failed to map...
  3. Unable to Map Network Drive since W10 upgrades

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to Map Network Drive since W10 upgrades: I have a local NAS connected to my home Router, and for many years have happily connected to the individual HDD’s by ‘Mapping the drives’There is a mapping Utility which runs and identifies IP address of NAS and the volume, but when I try to connect gives ‘Failed to map...
  4. weekly try to upgrade W10 Pro since v20H2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    weekly try to upgrade W10 Pro since v20H2: Error 80070003 when trying to automatically upgrade and system go back to previous version.How to progress my upgrades? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/weekly-try-to-upgrade-w10-pro-since-v20h2/a55ec994-a2bd-492d-a540-754ed21d9a1a
  5. weekly try to upgrade W10 Pro since v20H2

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    weekly try to upgrade W10 Pro since v20H2: Error 80070003 when trying to automatically upgrade and system go back to previous version.How to progress my upgrades? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/weekly-try-to-upgrade-w10-pro-since-v20h2/a55ec994-a2bd-492d-a540-754ed21d9a1a
  6. BIOS setting and W7 to W10 Upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    BIOS setting and W7 to W10 Upgrade: I'm looking to help someone upgrade a fairly new desktop PC from Windows 7 to Windows 10 using the MCT method. When we installed Windows 7 on this machine I recall going into the UEFI BIOS and changing the Boot > Safe Boot > OS Type setting from the default "Windows UEFI...
  7. Strange screen glitch/bug since upgrade to W10!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Strange screen glitch/bug since upgrade to W10!: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/TheJubstep [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/eayjf4/strange_screen_glitchbug_since_upgrade_to_w10/
  8. After upgrade to 1909 display timeout not working

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    After upgrade to 1909 display timeout not working: Lockscreen timeout is working, display timeout is not. Screen off programs also work. I have reset the power plan, and that didn't help. Sleep is disabled (this is a sort of home media server PC). Power troubleshooter finds nothing. How can I troubleshoot this further...
  9. I just upgraded to W10 1903. Since then Windows Text Input Application and the Settings...

in Windows 10 Customization
    I just upgraded to W10 1903. Since then Windows Text Input Application and the Settings...: Since I upgraded, in the process of normal operation under some unknown circumstances, the Microsoft Text Input Application and the main Settings window spontaneously open. The text input app shows up in Task Manager, but I see no way to access from the UI. I have no idea...
  10. Settings is not working on w10

in Windows 10 Support
    Settings is not working on w10: I have just update to w10 from w8 and cannot open the setting button. I can´t acces any setting even if I look with the search windows. How can I fix it? 17705

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 timeout settings not work