Windows 10: Tips for setting up a reliable network between Windows 10 home PCs

Discus and support Tips for setting up a reliable network between Windows 10 home PCs in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have three Windows 10 Home PCs, all running version 1709 with Norton Internet Security. The three computers are all set up in Norton with full trust... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by GeorgeInActon, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Tips for setting up a reliable network between Windows 10 home PCs

I have three Windows 10 Home PCs, all running version 1709 with Norton Internet Security. The three computers are all set up in Norton with full trust of each other. Two are wired and one is wifi. I have set up a workgroup called WORKGROUP that all three are under. Every several months the computers stop seeing each other, or computer A can view and update computer B's files but not the other way around.*Mad I spend hours googling the problem, changing permissions and fiddling with services, etc. and most of the time I can get it to work. (I never could get Homegroup to work reliably.) So what is the right way to set it up so they can all read and update each other's files and use each others printers in a trouble-free manner? Was there some change in the 1709 update that is causing me a problem?

None of the computers have any problem connecting to the Internet.

:)

GeorgeInActon, Feb 16, 2018

2. Network connectivity issues with Windows 10

Both my brother and I use Windows 10 on our PCs and we utilise a private HomeGroup network where we share and swap files between the PCs on a daily basis.

Before the Windows 10 updates yesterday, both of us could see each others PCs on our Home Network (inc File Explorer). After the update, neither of us can see nor access each others PCs on the same network.

I've followed all of the helpful tips on Microsoft's website, such as deleting the original HomeGroup and creating a new Home Group;

disabling the passwords in the Advanced Sharing Settings, etc and yet the problem still persists (i.e. neither my brother nor I can see (nor access) each other's PC on our network.

So what is going on... it seems that whenever there is a new update for Windows, things that worked end up no longer working... Any help to rectify this situation would be much appreciated....

AK

Anil Katheappa, Feb 16, 2018
  3. RGC42 Win User
    Homegroup printer won't print after upgrade to Windows 10

Hey Ruth;

Tried that with password reset, same result, no connection. This is with trying setting up Home group and networking between Windows 10 OS Computer and a Windows 7 computer. The Windows 7 computer does not accept the password set up on Windows 10 Home
    Group. Anything else?

RGC42, Feb 16, 2018
  4. BillPa Win User

Tips for setting up a reliable network between Windows 10 home PCs

I have "almost" the same problem. Bear with me, I'm only one small step above a computer dummy!

I have four computers, lets call them A, B, C&D
    A - Desktop Win10 Pro V1709 wired
    B- Desktop Win10 Pro V1709 wireless
    C - Laptop Win10 Pro V1709 wireless
    D - Laptop Win10 Home V1709 wireless
    When booted up and running ....
    DT A can see B,C,D and itself all the time.
    DT B only LT C&D
    LT C itself and LT D
    LT D itself and C

However...... if all are up and running and I reboot the router(CenturyLink C1100T / TR-64 v4.0) A,B,C,D can see themselves and the other three but only temporally. If A,B,C or D are started/restarted the wheels fall off, I'm back to the above scenario.

Sharing worked prior to 1709 but now for whatever reason it seems to be something with the router but never with DT A. It can see all 100% of the time. I've tried using homegroups, workgroups, firewalls turned on/off , antivirus on/off, cuss'n .....

Ideas ?

BillPa, Feb 16, 2018
  5. BillPa Win User
    Never mind. Yesterday I deleted them all from the Homegroup then changed the Workgroup name from "Workgroup" to "Workgroup01". For whatever reason its back to normal, each box can see the others and themselves.
    Bill

BillPa, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Tips for setting up a reliable network between Windows 10 home PCs

1. Tips for setting up a reliable network between Windows 10 home PCs - Similar Threads - Tips setting reliable

2. Setting up home network.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Setting up home network.: What are my network credentials? I put in mu usual password, but get the message that it's incorrect. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/setting-up-home-network/9c7ab2d6-c2c4-4359-a988-9eb7e23e7d6f
  3. Setting up home network.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Setting up home network.: What are my network credentials? I put in mu usual password, but get the message that it's incorrect. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/setting-up-home-network/9c7ab2d6-c2c4-4359-a988-9eb7e23e7d6f
  4. Setting up a Home Network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Setting up a Home Network: Hi,I reset my PC and reinstalled Windows.Now I am trying to set my PC home network to my old Network name.How do I do that?Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/setting-up-a-home-network/90c4d0e0-6c5c-4b36-a1ef-65b81a76c2eb
  5. Setting up a Home Network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Setting up a Home Network: Hi,I reset my PC and reinstalled Windows.Now I am trying to set my PC home network to my old Network name.How do I do that?Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/setting-up-a-home-network/90c4d0e0-6c5c-4b36-a1ef-65b81a76c2eb
  6. Cannot Set Up A Reliable Home Network

Cannot Set Up A Reliable Home Network: Hello, Thank you in advance for any assistance. I am trying to get my two PCs to network. Both are running Windows 10 64 Bit Pro. I made sure all windows updates downloaded and installed. Sometimes they can find each other in Windows File Explorer. Most of the time...
  7. Setting up a Home Network??!

Setting up a Home Network??!: Hello we've been tyring to set up a home network to share files between 2 PC using the router. So far we have no luck. I can see my pc but i can see the 2nd one. I can't seem to find any clear help or step by step on how to do this. Or maybe i did a bad research. But we did...
  8. Setting up Windows 10 Home network LAN between 2 PCs on WiFi

Setting up Windows 10 Home network LAN between 2 PCs on WiFi: I tried once, long ago, to set up a personal network on my home WiFi system so I could share my printer and files between two PCs. I couldn't make it work then. Now I'm finally trying again, but I can't even seem to find anywhere in the Network and Internet screens in...
  9. set up a home network

set up a home network: set up a home network,between window 7 and window 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/set-up-a-home-network/04f22606-a921-469b-a5de-cd05ba9ced77
  10. Slow Data Transfer Speeds in Home Network Between PCs

Slow Data Transfer Speeds in Home Network Between PCs: I'm wondering if there's any way I can increase the data transfer speed between 2 of my computers on my wireless network. I'm seeing about 1.25MB/s according to the box that shows you the speed/duration of a file transfer. I'd love to even triple this tiny speed because I am...