Windows 10: Tips to speed up/use the almost full potential of your Windows 10

Discus and support Tips to speed up/use the almost full potential of your Windows 10 in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I can't help you if you have bad specs because then you'd be limited by hardware, you get the drill. I've explored (almost) every single part of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by XxChrisxX, Jan 1, 2018.

1. XxChrisxX Win User

Tips to speed up/use the almost full potential of your Windows 10

I can't help you if you have bad specs because then you'd be limited by hardware, you get the drill.

I've explored (almost) every single part of Windows 10 and features it has to offer and I've got some nice tips and tricks, this helps a lot with stutter aswell. Please strictly follow what I say word for word due to the fact that you don't want to mess anything in services. I am also wrapping up what I've learned online.

1. Clear the prefetch folder ("prefetch" in run) and temp files folder ("%temp%" in run), first of all stop Superfetch in services (services.msc - win + r) by just clicking stop, so that you are able to delete everything in prefetch folder, after you did it, turn Superfetch back on if you want to use the feature again. I'd advise using this every once in a while.

2. Windows Insider - A controversial move by Microsoft but sometimes I noticed you could be opted into Windows Insider unbeknowst to you at all. Hence if you don't want to use or be guaranteed not to opt in Windows Insider so you wouldn't receive preview updates/unstable updates, then hold Windows + R, type in "services.msc" - scroll down to "Windows Insider Service" -> Right click and properties -> Press stop and change startup type from Automatic or whatever there is to disabled. You can come back and tweak this again if you want to be a part of Windows Insider if you want.

3. Change automatic updates to strict manual updates - Aside from setting your connection to metered, you can ultra ensure that only you manually download updates the second you click on Download instead of Windows beating around the bush and acting all confused and cunning. You can go to services -> Windows Update -> Stop the service but don't set start type to Disabled, make it manual. Unless you are the OCD type you can disable it and everytime you update you can set it back to manual, update, then disable it back. This ensures Windows will not PRE-DOWNLOAD, an ultimatum.

4. It's recommended that you keep Superfetch on if you use an HDD, since the cache will be a bit more ram focused and stored there. However, this is not the case if you use an SSD, since an SSD doesn't rely on the physical sector to read/process data like HDD, it's much faster, I like casually calling it a more advanced/oversized flash drive, I advise googling it for more info 'cause holy smokes is it interesting.

5. Turning off any automatically scheduled actions from apps, disk defragment etc, best for squeezing out every bit of performance and if you like doing things manually.

Go to search -> Type in disk defragment > Open it and turn off scheduled optimization. Depending on when it's scheduled, at this scheduled time you won't be surprised by automatic defragmentation whatsoever.

Go to Windows Settings -> Privacy -> (If you don't see yourself using anything here now or in the future then go on a killing spree and turn off everything here)

If you don't use Windows 10 feature to record games or any of that then go to Windows Settings -> Gaming -> Game bar, untick Record game clips and all of this. If you don't use TruePlay then go there in the same Gaming section and turn TruePlay off.

6. Turning off information sharing by Windows 10 or telemetry (Bonus if you have Nvidia driver installed) - go to services.msc -> Connected User Experiences and Telemetry -> Stop the service and set the startup type to disabled.

Same for this service "dmwappushservice", stop the service and disable the startup type.

(BONUS) Do the same for "NvTelemetryContainer" service.

7. Disabling Cortana for Windows 10 Home users using registry, so that anything you search using it will not be stored online, I advise reading word for word, messing upregistry isn't a joke or a prank bro! If you use Cortana and wish to help it then you can skip this - Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search (If Windows Search isn't there then we create it -> Right-click the Windows folder and choose New>Key. Call it "Windows Search.")

Tips to speed up/use the almost full potential of your Windows 10 [​IMG]

Right click "Windows Search" and choose New > DWORD (32-bit Value)

Name the DWORD "AllowCortana." Click it and make sure the value is "0."

Restart and it will be replaced by normal search, the pieces of info in this particular step were courtesy of;

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/t...ana-windows-10

8. If you have a laptop and you use WiFi, if you keep losing connection this step may help you - Untick ​Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power

:)

XxChrisxX, Jan 1, 2018

2. Re Image plus

Thanks I have book marked your page.

OctavianQR, Jan 1, 2018
  3. laudablepus, Jan 1, 2018
  4. Pratt Win User

Regarding Cortana, there are a few more entries possible in the "Windows Search" folder in the registry (no guarantee this list is complete).

Pratt, Jan 1, 2018
  5. XxChrisxX Win User
    I'd like to add that you are able to make a high performance power plan despite there being only "Balanced" by following these steps:

Go to Power Options -> Create a power plan -> Select High performance in Create a power plan, pick any name you want for it and next -> Adjust brightness if you want then press create.

I have no idea what the heck Microsoft was thinking by forcing out a stable option in favour of testing out something that's still being developed like a high performance slider slider on Balanced mode. I tested it personally and concluded that the high performance plan maximized fully the GHz of the CPU, something the high performance option in balanced mode slider couldn't reach.

XxChrisxX, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Tips to speed up/use the almost full potential of your Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Tips speed almost

2. Got email "Your OneDrive is almost full"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Got email "Your OneDrive is almost full": ... but OneDrive is not full - used 1MB out of 5GB.Is it scam?Email sent from *** Email address is removed for privacy *** , - is it legitimate MS mailer?...
  3. Got email "Your OneDrive is almost full"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Got email "Your OneDrive is almost full": ... but OneDrive is not full - used 1MB out of 5GB.Is it scam?Email sent from *** Email address is removed for privacy *** , - is it legitimate MS mailer?...
  4. Got email "Your OneDrive is almost full"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Game not using full GPU potential.

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Game not using full GPU potential.: I don't quite understand the issue here. I went to revisit GTAIV : EFLC and it doesn't use very much of the RX6900XT. Max Settings only gets an average of 40fps. I turned the settings from VERY HIGH to HIGH and it made no difference. I am playing at 3840x2160 resolution. Yes,...
  6. Why doesn't usb tethering use full potential speed?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why doesn't usb tethering use full potential speed?: So I went to device settings of my phone to see my USB tethering speed the potential is around 450mbps but when I check I only make 100kbps, not only on steam but everywhere is 100kbps, is the 450mbps I see another thing? If not how can I make the usb tethering use the full...
  7. How to get clock speed to full potential

How to get clock speed to full potential: I have a friend who needs to host zoom meetings, but his cpu speed is only 1.6ghz, and he can't screen share video files--the cpu is bottlenecking and runs at 100%. So we need to increase the speed. Here are his cpu specs: Intel® Pentium® N3710 (1.6 GHz, up to 2.56 GHz, 2 MB...
  8. A Tip: Use Tips

in Windows 10 Customization
    A Tip: Use Tips: Ah, but seriously, use Tips. To discover, know & learn your Windows 10 Operating System, turn to Tips. What's New, abilities, Features, tools, What, Where & How... in Tips and all in plain, easy to understand, English, too. [ATTACH] Cheers, Drew [ATTACH]...
  9. Windows 10 is not using full internet speed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 is not using full internet speed: Hey, I've recently upgraded to a 500 Mbit/s contract. I've noticed that I don't have access to the full extend of that speed under Windows 10. This is definitely not a hardware sided problem. I have full internet speed on a Mac OS device and also booted my computer with a...
  10. Backing up an almost full HDD

Backing up an almost full HDD: I've had a shitty seagate 1TB hard drive for 3 years now and I am just now deciding to reinstall Windows 10 to fix any problems my pc has and speed it up a bit. I don't have money for a new HDD or SSD and I want to be able to keep my games installed though since I have...