Windows 10: to fresh install

Discus and support to fresh install in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi everybody, hope everyone is OK. Today I have a question about transferring my ms account to a new HP laptop. The current laptop, also an HP came... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Hewjr100, May 14, 2017.

1. Hewjr100 Win User

to fresh install

Hi everybody, hope everyone is OK. Today I have a question about transferring my ms account to a new HP laptop. The current laptop, also an HP came with windows 8 oem. Then I got the free upgade to windows 8.1. Finally I opted in for the free upgrade to windows 10. At this time I have a flash drive with windows 10 creators update. Will I be able to use the flash drive to fresh install on the new laptop. Prior to doing so I will use gparted from a flash drive to delete windows partition on the old laptop.

Henry.

:)

Hewjr100, May 14, 2017
  2. ShivanshS Win User

Unable to install Windows 10 - fresh install

Thanks for your reply.

I have tried almost everything that you have suggested in past 3 days with no positive outcome as of now.

And as replied to Dave in this chain itself, I have now waited for more than 4 hours for this process to complete with no results.

Since the installer is trying to "install updates" - is there any way I can go online in this install process itself? Its a fresh install so no configuration of Wifi or even no accessibility of Wifi via installer.

ShivanshS, May 14, 2017
  3. ShivanshS Win User
    Unable to install Windows 10 - fresh install

At present the install process is on and it is now stuck at same point from past 4 hours and it is the max I have waited for the installer to respond further.

To your point of being online/offline while installing windows, since this is a fresh install, my laptop isn't online as there is no way to configure WiFi via installer itself. To take the device online, the OS shall run first and then only I will be able
    to connect to internet. Please correct me if I am missing anything here.

Thus, my laptop is all offline and the installer is stuck on "Installing Updates". Also, I noted that the step name written on the screen is not in bold at the moment where as all the previous steps were in bold when they were getting completed. So, can
    I say that the installer has not even begun with this particular step?

ShivanshS, May 14, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

to fresh install

Is the new laptop coming with Windows pre-installed or no OS?

NavyLCDR, May 14, 2017
  5. Hewjr100 Win User
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit.

Henry.

Hewjr100, May 15, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Then why bother removing the Windows from the old laptop, and clean installing the new computer when it will come with it's own Windows 10?

NavyLCDR, May 15, 2017
  7. Hewjr100 Win User
    I prefer my version over pen crappware.

Henry.

Hewjr100, May 15, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

to fresh install

Then I suggest this:
    Start fresh with a clean installation of Windows 10

The reason is the manufacturer may have provided specific hardware device drivers that might not be available from Microsoft. At a minimum, if you are set on wiping the new computer hard drive/SSD and starting over with your own installation, then I recommend exporting the device drivers before you erase them using the dism command:

dism /online /export-driver /destination:E:\Drivers

The path in red would be to a folder that you create on an external storage device to hold the device drivers. That way if you end up with unknown devices or exclamation points in device manager after a clean install, you can reinstall the device driver for it from the exported drivers.

If it were I, I would get a 16 GB flash drive (8 GB might be large enough, but 16 would be for sure), make a brand new Windows 10 installation drive on it using a freshly downloaded Media Creation Tool:
    Download Windows 10

Then add a folder to it and export the drivers from the new computer to it. Then just use the fresh start tool from Microsoft to remove the crapware from the Windows it came with. That leaves you a computer with the proper device drivers already installed, no manufacturer crapware, and a flash drive that you can restore it from in case of major failure.

NavyLCDR, May 15, 2017
  9. Hewjr100 Win User
    Yes Iam familiar with the process. My current HP laptop had proprietary drivers also. Downloaded the one for ethernet adapter so I would have internet access, then did a fresh install and downloaded all the rest as needed.

Henry.

Hewjr100, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

to fresh install

1. to fresh install - Similar Threads - fresh install

2. No audio from headset after fresh instal

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No audio from headset after fresh instal: I reinstalled windows 11 and my steelseries arctis 3 headset has no adio despite it being detected in the device manager. Ive tried updating my drivers and rolling back drivers, ive tried unistalling drivers and disabling the devise and renabling it. Updated my bios, did a...
  3. No audio from headset after fresh instal

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No audio from headset after fresh instal: I reinstalled windows 11 and my steelseries arctis 3 headset has no adio despite it being detected in the device manager. Ive tried updating my drivers and rolling back drivers, ive tried unistalling drivers and disabling the devise and renabling it. Updated my bios, did a...
  4. After fresh install of Windows 11 I still get BSOD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After fresh install of Windows 11 I still get BSOD: This is my bug check code 0x1010x8, 0x0, 0xFFFFAA81A9D40180, 0x4 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/after-fresh-install-of-windows-11-i-still-get-bsod/6fb22eec-31a6-465a-a8a7-244fdb872962
  5. After fresh install of Windows 11 I still get BSOD

After fresh install of Windows 11 I still get BSOD: This is my bug check code 0x1010x8, 0x0, 0xFFFFAA81A9D40180, 0x4 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/after-fresh-install-of-windows-11-i-still-get-bsod/6fb22eec-31a6-465a-a8a7-244fdb872962
  6. Just did a "fresh install" and now nothing seems to work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Just did a "fresh install" and now nothing seems to work: Just reset the come from a Win11 ROM dl and the audio doesnt have sound even though the device is detected, cant even play the test sounds, also the install might have broke some of my game trying to lauch monster hunter world and it keeps crashing....
  7. Just did a "fresh install" and now nothing seems to work

Just did a "fresh install" and now nothing seems to work: Just reset the come from a Win11 ROM dl and the audio doesnt have sound even though the device is detected, cant even play the test sounds, also the install might have broke some of my game trying to lauch monster hunter world and it keeps crashing....
  8. My question is about Aero Peek. How do I make it work after a fresh [Windows 7} install and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My question is about Aero Peek. How do I make it work after a fresh [Windows 7} install and...: Aero Peek changes at times between working and not working for reasons I usually do not know {in fact never know.}. I recently reformatted my Desktop pc 3 times. {Running Windows 7 and not going to update to 10 or 11.} The last reformat was because Aero Peek was not working....
  9. My question is about Aero Peek. How do I make it work after a fresh [Windows 7} install and...

My question is about Aero Peek. How do I make it work after a fresh [Windows 7} install and...: Aero Peek changes at times between working and not working for reasons I usually do not know {in fact never know.}. I recently reformatted my Desktop pc 3 times. {Running Windows 7 and not going to update to 10 or 11.} The last reformat was because Aero Peek was not working....
  10. BSODs, even after fresh windows install

BSODs, even after fresh windows install: Folder containing dumps, dxdiags, etchttps://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1iuCgQsfrdQbidEQro-iqvDDs2Fguls_R?usp=sharingCausesStarted when upgrading old system, components are:i9 14900k - CPUASUS TUF GAMING Z790-PLUS WIFI - MOBOKingston 32GB 2x16GB DDR5 6000MHz CL36 FURY...