Windows 10: Today's (1 Jan 2017) Cumulative Update Won't Install

Discus and support Today's (1 Jan 2017) Cumulative Update Won't Install in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; The Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3213986) that was released today won't install onto my computer. Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Phoenix VII, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Today's (1 Jan 2017) Cumulative Update Won't Install

The Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3213986) that was released today won't install onto my computer. Windows Update would download it and tell me to restart but when I restart, it doesn't seem to even try to install the update instead it stays at the "Getting Windows ready" screen but it doesn't show any install progress then after a couple minutes it just restarts and gives me a message that "We couldn't complete the updates, Undoing changes." I've tried several times with Windows Update and the same thing happens and I've also tried manually installing it from the Microsoft Update Catalog but that also didn't work. The other updates that were available today went through, but not the cumulative update.

This wasn't the first time I've had problems with cumulative updates but there was always a work-around posted on the forum before but this time it seems I'm the only one with this problem? Can anyone help? I don't even know how to stop my computer from trying to download the update again every several hours.

:)

Phoenix VII, Jan 10, 2017
  2. logucool Win User

cumulative update

When the jan-2017 cumulative update build 14393.726 will release to public

. thankyou

logucool, Jan 10, 2017
  3. 2018-02 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4074588) - Error 0x80073715

I successfully installed the Dec 2017 update.

The Jan 3 update would not install so I followed your advice and installed "Security Update for Windows" KB4056892.

It would not install "2018-1 Cumulative Update for Windows version 1709 for X64-based systems" KB4058258 (6 tries)

IT WILL NOT install 2018-02 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4074588)

All failures were 0x80073715

I've tried all fixes by microsoft and this forum and nothing works.

This includes waiting for microsoft to fix it with the next update.

What now?

paul froehle, Jan 10, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Today's (1 Jan 2017) Cumulative Update Won't Install

Temporary measure:

Today's (1 Jan 2017) Cumulative Update Won't Install [​IMG]

For more see the excellent Tutorial section which you are free to browse and search.

Sometimes certain updates have caused issues- manually download and try that way, assuming there's no fundamental issue with your PC. If it's an MS problem, wait for resolution, and block it temporarily.

Follow the post on the update in the News section in this forum.

dalchina, Jan 10, 2017
  5. EdTittel Win User
    EdTittel, Jan 10, 2017
  6. WUMT didn't work so I guess I have to use Winaero Tweaker for now and just not get the update. I did run the Windows Update Troubleshooter as well and it gives me the option to "Repair Windows Update Corruption" by deleting and re-installing updates which I chose to skip and after doing everything else it shows "Potential Windows Update Database error detected" and says it's not fixed. It also shows "Some security setting are missing or have been changed," "Service registration is missing or corrupted," and "Windows Update components must be repaired" and says that these are fixed but they show up over and over again when I run the Troubleshooter again. At this point, is it likely that there's a problem with my PC or something wrong with Windows Update on my end?

Phoenix VII, Jan 10, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    Sounds like you need to fix sthg.
    Try Tweaking.com's cautious repair tool and select only the relevant repair.
    If that fails, you may need to do an in-place upgrade repair install (which keeps all programs and most settings).

dalchina, Jan 10, 2017
  8. Today's (1 Jan 2017) Cumulative Update Won't Install

Sorry, but are you talking about Windows Repair or one of the System Tweakers?

Phoenix VII, Jan 11, 2017
  9. dalchina New Member
    Please search for Tweaking.com and you will find the free program.

dalchina, Jan 11, 2017
  10. Ok, I ran the program and the update still didn't go through. I guess that means I need to do an repair install now?

Also, Windows Defender stopped working after I ran it, even though I'm sure I only had Windows Update selected. I get the message, "Microsoft Security Client: An error has occured during initialization. If this problem continues, please contact your system administrator. Error code: 0x80070005." Is it possible for me to get Windows Defender working again until I have a chance to do the repair install?

11. dalchina New Member
    That sounds like (maybe) a Defender update error. (Defender is updated using the Windows update mechanism).

If you are concerned, it is possible to update it manually.

Have you tried this?
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html

You could also try manually downloading the update and installing it.
    Usually a link is posted in the relevant News item in this forum.

dalchina, Jan 11, 2017
  12. Ok, Windows Defender is working. I guess all that there's left to do is to do the repair install. One last question, would a repair install be enough or is a clean re-install the only solution guaranteed to work?

Thank you.

13. dalchina New Member

All you can do is try. An in-place upgrade repair install functions in the same way as a major windows upgrade e.g. 1511-1607. so a lot is renewed. But your programs and most settings are kept. Here's my text on this: (Note the recommended use of disk imaging which, had you been using it, might have given you a quick way to resolve this):

Precede it with this in case sthg has happened to your file system:

From an admin command prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed- else do not proceed.
    Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!

An In-place upgrade repair install will fix many things, but not those where the settings are not changed by the procedure.

For this you need an installation medium with the same base build as you have installed, and x64 if you have a 64 bits OS, else x86 (32 bits).

Recommendation:
    Before you perform the following major repair procedure, do create a disk image (see below).

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Tutorials
    - this includes a link from which you can obtain Windows 10 iso file (" download a Windows 10 ISO"), or create a bootable medium.

I would recommend creating the bootable medium, as this can be used
    - for any future in-place upgrade repair install
    - to boot from and use its recovery options should Windows become unbootable.
    - to clean install Windows

This will refresh Windows, after the manner of a Windows installation.
    - all/most associations will be unchanged
    - all your programs will be left installed
    - no personal data should be affected
    - you will lose any custom fonts
    - you will lose any customised system icons
    - you may need to re-establish your Wi-Fi connection
    - you will need to redo Windows updates subsequent to the build you have used for the repair install
    - Windows.old will be created
    - system restore will be turned off- you should turn it on again and I recommend you manually schedule a daily restore point.
    - you will need to redo any language downloads including the display language if you changed that)
    - inactive title bar colouring (if used) will be reset to default
    - if Qttabbar is installed, you need to re-enable it in explorer (Options, check Qttabbar)
    This is one of the better features of Win10: as each major build comes out, that's your updated reference build, and as updates are mostly cumulative, there will be few to do.

Please consider using disk imaging regularly. It's a brilliant way to
    - preserve your system (and your sanity)
    - back up your data
    - restore your system to a previously working state in a relatively short time

Recommended: Macrium Reflect (free/commercial) + boot disk/device + large enough external storage medium.

dalchina, Jan 11, 2017
  14. Before doing any major change or anything that requires a lot of work, suggest you wait a week or two. Some MS screw-ups are fixed in next weeks fixes.

ComputerGeek, Jan 11, 2017
  15. Yesterday I successfully installed the cumulative update via Windows Update MiniTool, which I used for the first time.Is it possible to only download it and manually install it later? How can I access the downloaded file?

Matthew Wai, Jan 12, 2017
Thema:

1. Today's (1 Jan 2017) Cumulative Update Won't Install - Similar Threads - Today's Jan 2017

2. Cumulative update KB5031455 won't install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cumulative update KB5031455 won't install: Tried everything DISM and SFC and Windows Update Troubleshooter and it still won't install. I'll just skip this one. When the install fails, and Windows fixes itit's a while before you're up and running again....
  3. Cumulative update KB5031455 won't install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cumulative update KB5031455 won't install: Tried everything DISM and SFC and Windows Update Troubleshooter and it still won't install. I'll just skip this one. When the install fails, and Windows fixes itit's a while before you're up and running again....
  4. Windows Cumulative Update Won't Install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Cumulative Update Won't Install: 2023-05 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 for x64-based Systems KB5026368Install error - 0x800f09222023-02 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5, 4.8 and 4.8.1 for Windows 11 for x64 KB5022730Install error - 0x800f0922I've tried everything to get these updates to install,...
  5. Windows Cumulative Update Won't Install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Cumulative Update Won't Install: 2023-05 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 for x64-based Systems KB5026368Install error - 0x800f09222023-02 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5, 4.8 and 4.8.1 for Windows 11 for x64 KB5022730Install error - 0x800f0922I've tried everything to get these updates to install,...
  6. Windows Cumulative Update Won't Install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Cumulative Today

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cumulative Today: There is/was a Cumulative Update today Apr 15/16. Considering what the date IS, right now mid-April we can be sure 2004 20H1 isn't far behind now. Reckon this Cumulative is prep for the Win10 Spring 2020 Update. Cheers, Drew [ATTACH]...
  8. cumulative updates download but won't install

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    cumulative updates download but won't install: couldn't find this, so a new thread. sorry if i missed it. did a clean install of the spring upgrade 2018. since then no cumulative update will install. seems to download fine, but always an install error. i have tried everything i could find on the web, ms support, youtube,...
  9. cumulative updates download but won't install

in Windows 10 Support
    cumulative updates download but won't install: couldn't find this, so a new thread. sorry if i missed it. did a clean install of the spring upgrade 2018. since then no cumulative update will install. seems to download fine, but always an install error. i have tried everything i could find on the web, ms support, youtube,...
  10. 2017-09 Cumulative Update failed to install

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    2017-09 Cumulative Update failed to install: My last successful update version was build 413. Each cumulative update since then has failed to install. Latest message was "2017-09 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4038788) - Error 0x8e5e0147". Any suggestions on how I can rectify? 94249