Windows 10: Today's MS Updates kill apps

Discus and support Today's MS Updates kill apps in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; WUP, KB3038930, KB3040021, KB3021952 and one AMD Radeon HD 5450 installed today. Daum PotPlayer for playing videos, etc., Cyberlink PowerDirector 13... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by wptski, Feb 19, 2015.

1. wptski Win User

Today's MS Updates kill apps

WUP, KB3038930, KB3040021, KB3021952 and one AMD Radeon HD 5450 installed today.

Daum PotPlayer for playing videos, etc., Cyberlink PowerDirector 13 and AudioDirector 5 fail to open now.

:)

wptski, Feb 19, 2015

2. Lumia 830 with win10 can't open any apps or go to settings,,, can open whatapp and messenger but thats all, no call, sms or pics

This EXACT thing happened to me today too (same phone too, fwiw). Soft reset has no affect. What kind of update did MS push that totally kills a phone like this!? Can't get into settings, texts, people, calls. Only some third-party apps and Edge browser
    work. Very frustrating if I have to suddenly hard-reset and wipe my device because of an update... :-\

planet_parker, Feb 19, 2015
  3. MS Solitaire and Xbox stopped working after Windows 10 anniversary update

Old title: anniversary edition killed the MS Solitaire and Xbox

Installed the anniversary update on two different computers today. On both of them, the MS solitaire collection and XBOX sing in refuses to load.

Uninstalled Solitaire and re-installed from the store but still doesn't work.

error are being reported in the event viewer:

"Activation of app Microsoft.MicrosoftSolitaireCollection_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App failed with error: The app didn't start. See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information."

I didn't find "Windows-TWinUI/Operational log " so that did not help.

Both computers are producing the same error.

any ideas?

SmokeyJoe85, Feb 19, 2015
  4. Mystere Win User

A number of apps have failed because of security changes in the SSL subsystem that are put in place to prevent flaws in the SSL protocol, but some applications do not deal with these changes well and need to be updated.

Unfortunately, it's a fact of life that sometimes you have to break compatibility to make things more secure.

Mystere, Feb 19, 2015
  5. Kesto Win User
    Yea, unfortunately thats the case but they will soon fix these problems so you should probably remove the updates.

Kesto, Feb 19, 2015
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

There must be something "Strange" with my system -- I haven't had ANY problems with updates apart from the ONE time where Ms accidently had that "new " build on the update path.

I've found build 9926 the most compatible yet -- certainly no problems with any of the updates on my systems running W10 ( 3X ).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 19, 2015
  7. Winuser Win User
    Build 9926 fixed all the problems I had with the last 2 builds. So far I haven't noticed any problems with the latest updates.

Winuser, Feb 19, 2015
  8. BunnyJ New Member

From my understanding these updates are needed so the next build update can work. Yes, the ISO download is an option but that's not going to be available for every build update.

BunnyJ, Feb 19, 2015
  9. wptski Win User
    Two of the updates are to prep system for future builds so that's not an option. My apps were and still are working just fine in W7 which will be only OS that I can use them in now.

wptski, Feb 19, 2015
  10. Charlie Win User
    Did you try to roll back your AMD Radeon HD 5450 driver to see if that was your problem?

Charlie, Feb 19, 2015
  11. wptski Win User
    That was a thought so I looked at my MyEventViewer and did see one ATI or AMD app error. I tried to open one app again, looked again but no error was shown! Still might be worth a try though. Thanks!

wptski, Feb 19, 2015
  12. wptski Win User
    They must know of problems as there was another update for the AMD card when I booted up and forced an check. It didn't help but I tried to open a video with PotPlayer and checked MyEventviewer again. Got the following and it is indeed an error from the AMD driver.

Faulting application name: PotPlayerMini64.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x54bdb246
    Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.9926.0, time stamp: 0x54be0015
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x000000000002ba3b
    Faulting process id: 0x1344
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d04d19b739760f
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\DAUM\PotPlayer\PotPlayerMini64.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
    Report Id: f64d486d-b90c-11e4-9711-842b2ba9bf05
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

I'm searching for a fix on errors on "ntdll.dll" now but they might not help with W10TP.

wptski, Feb 19, 2015
  13. wptski Win User

The AMD drivers were updated on 1/31, 2/19 and 2/20, all updated the same three files with an additional fourth file on 1/31.

wptski, Feb 19, 2015
  14. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

This won't solve your immediate problem but sometimes it's time to say Goodbye to tech that doesn't work.

For example DAB Radio -- should be called DEAD AND BURIED -- the bit rate is a lot WORSE than FM !! especially if you like Clasical music -- current 128 /. 96 / even 48K !!! are used in DAB - those bit rates are HIDEOUS especially for that type of music.

DAB+ is a half hearted attempt to revive the DAB format but honestly the HD Internet streams are far superior.

AMD -- now we should call it A Monumental Disaster (AMD) -- CPU's not anything like as good as INTEL, NVIDIA graphics invariably causing problems etc.

I LIKE competition but AMD for me is an example of a company whose only future is to disappear gracefully from the market.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 19, 2015
  15. wptski Win User
    All kinds of posts in the Insider program including mine about graphics card problems after yesterday's AMD update. Some can't even boot up.

The latest updates from AMD for the Radeon HD 5450 are from December so I'd have to say that these problems are coming from changes made by MS.

Forget going to the AMD forum with problems with a four year old $20 graphics card, they'll laugh at you.

wptski, Feb 19, 2015
Thema:

1. Today's MS Updates kill apps - Similar Threads - Today's Updates kill

2. Windows Update killed various apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Update killed various apps: Installed the latest Windows update last week. Now after rebooting, Firefox refuses to load, saying it's already open, and Discord won't load, claiming a fatal Javascript error, and now Windows Search won't even locate the Discord app. I've even tried reinstalling windows,...
  3. Windows Update killed various apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Update killed various apps: Installed the latest Windows update last week. Now after rebooting, Firefox refuses to load, saying it's already open, and Discord won't load, claiming a fatal Javascript error, and now Windows Search won't even locate the Discord app. I've even tried reinstalling windows,...
  4. Windows Update killed various apps

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Windows updates killing apps.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows updates killing apps.: Why does Microsoft think it is acceptable to push out updates that trash existing, working apps and hardware. This happened to me today, but I see it in 2022 and in 2020. Sensing a pattern here....
  6. Windows updates killing apps.

Windows updates killing apps.: Why does Microsoft think it is acceptable to push out updates that trash existing, working apps and hardware. This happened to me today, but I see it in 2022 and in 2020. Sensing a pattern here....
  7. Win 10 1803 update killed my computer today

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 1803 update killed my computer today: Dear Microsoft, You have killed my computer with another 1803 update today...now it won't perform an automatic repair...and it won't restore to the previous state from April 12...**** have you done now? Your auto update system is killing productivity of millions of workers...
  8. Oct update kills MS Solitaire and Word games.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Oct update kills MS Solitaire and Word games.: Solitaire sits with blank screen, Word Games closes after loading. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/oct-update-kills-ms-solitaire-and-word-games/50c899a1-3234-41ad-8959-afcce5b57424
  9. MS edge hijacked today

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    MS edge hijacked today: Today edge was hijacked, message asks me to call number . I know this is a scam so tried to close edge, could not. So I closed with task manager, rebooted. When I opened edge message was still there. HELP, how do I get rid of it and fix my computer? 64658
  10. Windows Update today Set MS Edge as Default PDF App

Windows Update today Set MS Edge as Default PDF App: One of the updates today set MS Edge as the default app for PDF files. I have Acrobat installed and after the update and reboot, Acrobat asked if if I wanted it to be the default program. I didn't realize it had changed. So when I said yes, I got an error that said Acrobat...