Windows 10: Todays Update took 20+ Minutes!

Discus and support Todays Update took 20+ Minutes! in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Why does this happen? I did today's Windows 10 64 bit and Office 2016 64 bit update and it took over 20 minutes to download and install. Am I the only... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by MPSAN, Mar 13, 2017.

1. MPSAN Win User

Todays Update took 20+ Minutes!

Why does this happen? I did today's Windows 10 64 bit and Office 2016 64 bit update and it took over 20 minutes to download and install. Am I the only one? It seems to be good.

:)

MPSAN, Mar 13, 2017

2. Updates downloading slowly

Update-I shut down overnight and this morning it took about 20 minutes to download and install 4 updates. My laptop restarted by itself sometime today. All is good for now.

Goodell Must Go, Mar 13, 2017
  3. krxx---01 Win User
    Charging time pureview 808 (too much time!)

Ok, today I checked this in a proper way and it took 2 hours 20 minutes to charge battery from 0% to 100%. N8 usually takes 1 hour 15 minutes or so. The difference is really noticeable.

krxx---01, Mar 13, 2017
  4. Todays Update took 20+ Minutes!

That's pretty good. The fullsize Windows update was over a Gig. One of my devices is stuck at 95% and it has been at least twenty minutes, more like forty and I have 100Mbps+.

One thing to short circuit process is to download direct from Catalog, issue these two commands at a command prompt(admin), install update, reboot and login. Won't speed up install but if you have a number of devices you avoid the downloading / sharing.

Net stop wuauserv

Net stop bits

I see there are now delta updates available for this KB. Not exactly sure how / when to use. May be someone with knowledge on subject could explain. I would download full cumulative update.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Mar 14, 2017
  5. MPSAN Win User
    What the heck were they updating that took so long? Most of the time was spent with the download starting and stopping!

MPSAN, Mar 14, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    If you open Task Manager and look at its Performance tab during the update you'll see that when the download has paused there's an awful lot of disk activity. Then the disk activity drops and the downloading resumes. All previous updates have behaved this way.

No, I don't know what it's doing either, but it's certainly busy doing something when the download apparently pauses.

7. MPSAN Win User
    Strange as I do notice that it seems to be doing something!

MPSAN, Mar 14, 2017
  8. Plankton Win User

Mine took over an hour to do.....but I'm guessing it has a lot to do with the server traffic. Everybody trying to download it at the same time.

Plankton, Mar 14, 2017
  9. MPSAN Win User
    I agree, BUT, once downloaded it still took a long time to install!

MPSAN, Mar 14, 2017
  10. Plankton Win User
    Not for me....although I did have 2 restarts with this one.

Plankton, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Todays Update took 20+ Minutes! - Similar Threads - Todays Update took

2. Windows Cloud Reset Took 5 Minutes...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Cloud Reset Took 5 Minutes...: Hello everyone! I hope you are having a nice day.My question is why my cloud reset took just 5 minutes. As that is REALLY unusual.I'm going to do a windows reset VIA usb and run a `clean all` command to make sure everything is good.Is this normal or is this concerning,...
  3. Windows Cloud Reset Took 5 Minutes...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Cloud Reset Took 5 Minutes...: Hello everyone! I hope you are having a nice day.My question is why my cloud reset took just 5 minutes. As that is REALLY unusual.I'm going to do a windows reset VIA usb and run a `clean all` command to make sure everything is good.Is this normal or is this concerning,...
  4. Windows Cloud Reset Took 5 Minutes...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. No Login prompt for 20+ minutes

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    No Login prompt for 20+ minutes: Hello I'm reposting this because the other thread is not getting replies anymore. This is the original...
  6. Notebook start screen for 20 minutes?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Notebook start screen for 20 minutes?: Since 20 min I only see the start screen where acer is standing how does the notebook go 10 days old Notebook seid 20 min in Startbildschirm?
  7. Today's update to Windows 10 today's date 03/20/2020

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Today's update to Windows 10 today's date 03/20/2020: Got Windows 10 update today 3/20/20 has been on 91% for a couple of hours. How long should I wait? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/todays-update-to-windows-10-todays-date-03202020/c75e140c-8553-4013-b09a-8c8cbc5c894a
  8. 20+ minute boot time

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    20+ minute boot time: I have windows installed on an SSD and it literally takes more than 20 minutes just to restart. It gets stuck at the windows logo with the dots moving in a circle. I've ran the system file checker, updated video drivers, cleaned registry with CCleaner, and I changed the page...
  9. BSOD after 20 minutes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD after 20 minutes: Hello, after building a new Skylake based Windows 10 64 bit machine to house my GPU with a friend (who does such things for a living) I am experiencing weird BSOD behaviour. The machine gets a BSOD after 20 minutes (irrespective of what I am doing at the moment) and...
  10. 20 minutes to boot :(

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    20 minutes to boot :(: Hi all, I'm experiencing some big issues with my computer since 2 days: when I try to boot it takes more than 20min to boot (and sometimes it doesn't boot). Current situation with my drives: Primary (OS & programs): Samsun 850 EVO 1st Archive: Caviar Blue 1TB 2nd...