Windows 10: Toggling between active users requires entering sleep mode

Discus and support Toggling between active users requires entering sleep mode in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Having trouble toggling between Windows 10 users on my HP Envy laptop. To jump between users, we need to go into sleep mode; we aren't able to just... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by foofighter3399, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Toggling between active users requires entering sleep mode

Having trouble toggling between Windows 10 users on my HP Envy laptop. To jump between users, we need to go into sleep mode; we aren't able to just jump accounts. The screen never loads. Likewise, lately when the computer goes into sleep mode we're required to restart because the log in option never comes up. The first problem has been happening ever since we upgraded to 10; the other problem just started and had been our solution to solve the first, but now it required a full restart each time to log on as another user. Anyone experience this issue?

:)

foofighter3399, Jul 20, 2017
  2. Papa.Mick Win User

Windows 10 Settings: Screen Lock

With no error message shown, and a consistent time interval between periods of seeming lockout your symptoms sound more like a screen saver mode was activated.

Did you personalize the desktop, change a background image, or set a screen saver active. In addition to these features of the desktop environment you may have inadvertently set up the sign in / login requirement to return the user environment after sleep
    mode or a period of inactivity. Although it sounds like you may be dropped into this cycle in the middle of regular user activity. The Ctrl-Alt-Delete sequence is usually associated with the login process for raised security procedures on network or workstations.

Papa.Mick, Jul 20, 2017
  3. Windows 10 recycles between Sleep and active mode

*Original Title: Computer Not Sleeping

I have upgraded from W7 to W10 but the computer when placed in sleep mode constantly recycles between sleep and active. The monitor is not activated when the computer becomes active.

Can anyone help me please?

Repairman 69, Jul 20, 2017
  4. Toggling between active users requires entering sleep mode

Hi foofighter3399. Welcome to the TenForums @foofighter3399

First lets shut off hibernation to see if that helps.

At command prompt(admin)

power cfg -h off

to enable after a testing

powercfg -h on

When you want to go from one user to another could you please hold the ALT key and press F4 from your desktop screen. You should be given a menu that allows you to sign out. May have to perform more than once as ALT + F4 closes programs.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jul 21, 2017
  5. Thanks! We'll try it out.

foofighter3399, Jul 22, 2017
  6. Gave it a shot but sadly no luck. After using the Alt + F4, it took me out to what would be the screen that would allow me to select another user, but it never loaded that option. Just got a blue screen with the buttons about connectivity and power on the bottom right corner.

foofighter3399, Jul 23, 2017
  7. This is very likely not going to produce any additional information but have you run

sfc /scannow and does it report any issues.

I think the fastest way to fix would be an inplace repair / upgrade. Performing this process will move your machine to the Creator's Update, just so you know.

This process is not supposed to impact data files. That said I always recommend perform an back up to an off machine device. You would have to do this for each user.

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

Note warnings in tutorial.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Toggling between active users requires entering sleep mode

1. Toggling between active users requires entering sleep mode - Similar Threads - Toggling between active

2. LAPTOP NOT ENTERING INTO SLEEP MODE

in Windows 10 Gaming
    LAPTOP NOT ENTERING INTO SLEEP MODE: I am experiencing a sleep problem with my laptop. Whenever I attempt to put it in sleep mode, it only gets locked and doesn't actually enter sleep mode. It remains active and only becomes locked, failing to enter sleep mode. Additionally, the power button light doesn't blink...
  3. LAPTOP NOT ENTERING INTO SLEEP MODE

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    LAPTOP NOT ENTERING INTO SLEEP MODE: I am experiencing a sleep problem with my laptop. Whenever I attempt to put it in sleep mode, it only gets locked and doesn't actually enter sleep mode. It remains active and only becomes locked, failing to enter sleep mode. Additionally, the power button light doesn't blink...
  4. Hitting enter toggles keyboard letters to activate shortcuts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hitting enter toggles keyboard letters to activate shortcuts: When i hit enter my keyboard no longer lets me type, and letters just do their shortcuts p opens print, o opens file explorer, etc filter key, toggle keys, and sticky keys are all off, anyone know what is causing this?...
  5. Hitting enter toggles keyboard letters to activate shortcuts

Hitting enter toggles keyboard letters to activate shortcuts: When i hit enter my keyboard no longer lets me type, and letters just do their shortcuts p opens print, o opens file explorer, etc filter key, toggle keys, and sticky keys are all off, anyone know what is causing this?...
  6. Computer wont enter sleep mode.

Computer wont enter sleep mode.: Hi all,So for the past couple months since upgrading to windows 11, my pc jsut wont enter sleep mode. Ive managaed to narrow it down and its my "Steelseries arctis 7 headset" that wont let it sleep. However Ive tried to override it in powercfg but it still wont enter sleep...
  7. Windows stuck entering sleep mode

Windows stuck entering sleep mode: Hi,I have problems with my laptop entering sleep mode. I have thought the problem is to wake up the computer and I have checked many solutions in this topic but they did not work. It is becoming really annoying because everytime it happens I have to press power button to turn...
  8. Computer Never Enters Sleep Mode

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer Never Enters Sleep Mode: I'm having another problem with my new laptop.I have Windows 10. When I first got the laptop, I was able to put it into sleep mode and it went fully to sleep. You could move the mouse, press any button, lift the lid... it didn't turn on. It was asleep until you pressed the...
  9. PC not entering sleep mode.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    PC not entering sleep mode.: I have the settings set to automatically sleep after 30 minutes, but it isn't going to sleep. Changing this to an earlier time does nothing. Powercfg /requests returns nothing. It is possible that the recent 2004 windows 10 update could be a cause, but I can't say for...
  10. Cannot enter sleep mode

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Cannot enter sleep mode: Windows 10 is simply not able to enter sleep mode. Whenever I try, the monitor shuts off, but the computer power does not. When I move the mouse, the log-in screen appears (as it would when your computer comes out of sleep). I looked at Windows Event Viewer, and this is...