Windows 10: Too Good to Be True - Win7 to Win 10

Discus and support Too Good to Be True - Win7 to Win 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I ran across and article somewhere that led me to believe if i installed Win 10 Build 9879 over Win7, it would bring all the Win 7 apps over to Win 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JJG10, Nov 22, 2014.

1. JJG10 Win User

Too Good to Be True - Win7 to Win 10

I ran across and article somewhere that led me to believe if i installed Win 10 Build 9879 over Win7, it would bring all the Win 7 apps over to Win 10 and I wouldn't have to reinstall them.

Can this possibly be true?

:)

JJG10, Nov 22, 2014

2. Win 10 will not recognize my Android phone, my Camera OR my Win8 phone for USB data transfer.

Win 10 says they are faulty; patently not true as they were all fine with Win7

NAGA CHOEGYAL, Nov 22, 2014
  3. Is there a straightforward way to convert my hard disk from ntfs to gpt to upgrade to Win 10?

"I am using Win7 using NTFS (MBR) hard drive, but I understand I must have GPT partition to install Win 10. Is that true? "

No, it isn't true.. Too Good to Be True - Win7 to Win 10 :)

Mike Hall... always, Nov 22, 2014
  4. BunnyJ New Member

Nope.. doing that would require you to re-install all of your apps you had installed in Win7.

Someone may correct me but I think I read this in another thread here.
    Oh and welcome to the group!

Jeff
    EDIT:
    Here's the thread that I found that information in:
    https://www.tenforums.com/installatio...-software.html

HTH

BunnyJ, Nov 22, 2014
  5. sgage Win User
    I don't know about 9879, because I did a clean install, but the prior builds did in fact do in-place upgrades and bring along all programs and settings flawlessly. I only even attempted it on a whim, and was surprised when it worked fine!

sgage, Nov 29, 2014
  6. BunnyJ New Member
    I don't know about 9879, because I did a clean install, but the prior builds did in fact do in-place upgrades and bring along all programs and settings flawlessly. I only even attempted it on a whim, and was surprised when it worked fine! Good to know.

BunnyJ, Nov 30, 2014
  7. caperjack Win User
    I don't know about 9879, because I did a clean install, but the prior builds did in fact do in-place upgrades and bring along all programs and settings flawlessly. I only even attempted it on a whim, and was surprised when it worked fine! Good to know. post #6 in your link says it all

caperjack, Nov 30, 2014
  8. Kari Win User

9. jlr888 Win User
    Hi all, I was reading with interest about upgrading from win 7 to win 10.I have had no problems with 9860 or 9879. All my settings and apps were there. Only had to re-install 2 programs.
    Cheers, Jim

jlr888, Nov 30, 2014
  10. LMiller7 Win User
    Whenever doing an in place OS upgrade it is best to have an image backup of the original OS. Of course you should have a backup of all your data files. If the upgrade goes wrong, and it does happen occasionally, you could lose everything.

Also remember that Windows 10 is currently only a preview and will expire.

An in place upgrade isn't a bad thing. Just be sure to understand the implications.

LMiller7, Nov 30, 2014
  11. jlr888 Win User
    Thanks LMiller,I did make an image back up with Macrium Reflect before updating just in case.

jlr888, Dec 3, 2014
  12. NOT telling you what to do -- but -- there is no way to go back to what you have now short of a complete clean reinstall.

Also, consider that if the update goes well, you will probably want to use Win10 after the Consumer Preview comes out, and with that, you should do a fresh "upgrade".

And then, when the RTM comes out, you would probably want to do another fresh "upgrade".

What I did was image off 8.1, "restore" that to a new drive, and use that as the basis for doing an upgrade with Win10 TP.

I'm planning on doing the same again -- for the CP, and for the RTM.

So, if you make a backup with MR (which is what I used), then you have a stable basis for making each of the upgrades -- and for restoring your working Win7, if you decide at some point to go back to that.

Mark Phelps, Dec 3, 2014
  13. jlr888 Win User

Thanks Mark, I have been thinking about that as well. Just waiting on new 240G ssd that I ordered. Will do a clean install when Consumer Preview comes out. I'll post back on my success or if I get in strife.
    Thanks again for the advice
    Regards, Jim

jlr888, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Too Good to Be True - Win7 to Win 10 - Similar Threads - Too True Win7

2. Win7 / Win 10 Drivers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win7 / Win 10 Drivers: I have a Win7 machine with an IntelR Ethernet Connection 2 1219-v controller with Win10 on a Dual boot.Until last week I was able to boot into either OS. In a moment of gross stupidity I formatted my Win 10 SSD and then butchered my Clone backup.Attempting to do a fresh...
  3. Win7 / Win 10 Drivers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win7 / Win 10 Drivers: I have a Win7 machine with an IntelR Ethernet Connection 2 1219-v controller with Win10 on a Dual boot.Until last week I was able to boot into either OS. In a moment of gross stupidity I formatted my Win 10 SSD and then butchered my Clone backup.Attempting to do a fresh...
  4. Win7 / Win 10 Drivers

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. HAVE UPGRADED WIN7 TO WIN 10.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HAVE UPGRADED WIN7 TO WIN 10.: MY BIOS IS 5.15 WITH NO TPM AVAILABILITY. TO GO UP TO WIN 11 I NEED TO UPGRADE THE BIOS, HOW DO I DO THAT WHEN HP SAY THERE IS NO UPDATE AVAILABLE ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/have-upgraded-win7-to-win-10/10459ef3-077a-42cf-8a7f-e674fc436341
  6. Update from win7 to win 10

Update from win7 to win 10: Hi, i would like to update my win 7 system but its instaled on a GPT drive and the the installer for win 10 cant handle that.Is there any way to get win 10 without loosing all my programms?...
  7. Win7 to Win 10 Upgrade

Win7 to Win 10 Upgrade: I have had my desktop upgraded from Win7 Ultimate to Win 10 Pro. I cannot connect to the internet now. I use Satellite NBN. Also use a wireless router for the laptop. Laptop connects fine also running W10 I have direct connected to BB modem with ethernet cable shows...
  8. Is this $10 license for Windows 10 too good to be true ? Was looking into installing...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is this $10 license for Windows 10 too good to be true ? Was looking into installing...: https://www.electronicfirst.com/gift-cards/windows-10-professional-oem/?c=USD&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1faniufx6AIVCKvsCh3DOArQEAQYASABEgKK2vD_BwE submitted by /u/deathtoallpizzas [link] [comments]...
  9. Online Software- Too Good To Be True Tricks

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Online Software- Too Good To Be True Tricks: Good article on the warnings signs of buying software like Windows or Office online. Good answers to the occasional Q's we get in this section, especially from newer members - https://www.howtogeek.com/345412/wat...are-resellers/ 106052
  10. win 10 to win7

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    win 10 to win7: I downloaded win10, didn't care for it and went back to 7. Now my wifi doesn't work, laptop shows that it's connected; but it wont connect to any web page. 13264