Windows 10: Too much time on my hands today -- KDE apps on Ubuntu on Windows WSL

Discus and support Too much time on my hands today -- KDE apps on Ubuntu on Windows WSL in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi folks Too much time I think on my hands today !! That's dangerous for computer users !! Messing around with desktop GUI's on Ubuntu on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by jimbo45, Apr 23, 2018.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Too much time on my hands today -- KDE apps on Ubuntu on Windows WSL

Hi folks

Too much time I think on my hands today !! That's dangerous for computer users !!

Messing around with desktop GUI's on Ubuntu on Windows.

Some KDE apps running fine -- KPAT -- all sorts of card patience games

Dolphin (KDE file manager like Windows explorer) - gives me access to Native "C" and "D" Windows drives as well - also SAMBA network drives -- can't get the icons yet but that's only a detail.

Note you can't see the internal stuff from outside though so only OUTBOUND currently works. I think the Internal Windows / Ubuntu system has it's own file system which effectively shields the drives from outside -- will test with an FTP type of program or install FIREFOX on this system and see where it saves a download.

Run as root to make the whole thing easier

Back up your system though before experimenting -- all this is definitely AYOR !!

Running on Windows 10 Pro X-64 -- with latest updates but NOT the spring creators one.

Here's the screenshots

Too much time on my hands today -- KDE apps on Ubuntu on Windows WSL [​IMG]

Can access local windows and remote shares too .

Definitely too much time to waste today !!!! Shh!!! or I'll be forced to go shopping !!!!

Next bit is to display entire desktop (KDE) as the GUI. !!

Lot of fun this -- not sure if it actually has any real use but really nice playing with it though.

spider solitaire in single suit (easy) mode still like that game !!!

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Apr 23, 2018

2. Windows Subsystem Linux

I go to the windows options and check the box for WSL. It tells me then that I have to restart the computer. I restart the computer but WSL check box is then unchecked and I can't run ubuntu app that's installed. Developer mode is selected. What possibly
    could be the problem?

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows settings]

BJwojnowski, Apr 23, 2018
  3. Ubuntu Linux on WSL will not use Internet

I have asked for the last 3 weeks for help from Ubuntu for the Ubuntu app in the store. My desktop has no issues using the Internet no matter where I go. However, for the last approximately 4 weeks the Ubuntu WSL will not access the Internet at
    all. Using apt-get update/upgrade, wget, curl, anything simply comes back as "Unable to access <whatever> site. Please try later." I have checked hosts, host.allow, host.deny, all are empty except for the normal comments. I have deleted/reinstalled
    Ubuntu, deleted/turned off WSL/rebooted/used disk cleanup/turned on WSL/rebooted/reinstalled Ubuntu and nothing helps. Please, someone help me with this issue before I delete windows entirely and set it up as SUSE or Fedora only. Thank you
    for any help/clues you can give me because Canonical doesn't seem to care.

Kenneth_Benson, Apr 23, 2018
Thema:

Too much time on my hands today -- KDE apps on Ubuntu on Windows WSL

1. Too much time on my hands today -- KDE apps on Ubuntu on Windows WSL - Similar Threads - Too much hands

2. Wsl Not installing ubuntu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wsl Not installing ubuntu: one year ago i installed ubuntu and deleted is now i needed to install ubuntu wsl is not installing I have tried all the methods and deleted and reinstalled it many time but nothing happen I have reinstalled windows in new partition and tried to get wsl files and ext4.vdhx...
  3. Wsl Not installing ubuntu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wsl Not installing ubuntu: one year ago i installed ubuntu and deleted is now i needed to install ubuntu wsl is not installing I have tried all the methods and deleted and reinstalled it many time but nothing happen I have reinstalled windows in new partition and tried to get wsl files and ext4.vdhx...
  4. WSL 2 Ubuntu

in Windows 10 Customization
    WSL 2 Ubuntu: Hello Sir/Ma'am, I'm using Windows Subsystem for linux version 2 to use Ubuntu and recently I've found out that my Ubuntu terminal is not giving any output when I type "Who" command. Can anybody help me? Thank you....
  5. KDE Plasma runs on WSL 2

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    KDE Plasma runs on WSL 2: [ATTACH] Oh boy. No one told me graphical interface works natively on WSL 2. I managed to run the KDE plasma on ubuntu in wsl 2. Note: this is not using x-server. This is full-fat plasma....
  6. take too much time to update window

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    take too much time to update window: take to much time to update window i try it from yesterday but till now it not update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/take-too-much-time-to-update-window/1c3808a1-0c59-488f-b366-8b3448576019
  7. Windows Defender Taking too Much Time

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender Taking too Much Time: My windows defender is now in its 21st hour doing a full scan. Is this normal? How long should it take? [Original Title: windows defender] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-taking-too-much-time/e1e68879-0e78-4e99-9052-de943e38cdaf
  8. take too much time for installation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    take too much time for installation: Hi, I would experience the time issue for installing the update.it going on preparing installation about 2 hours.what's the reason? I have a fresh new device with 8 GB RAM and core i7 processor could any one pls tell the problem?...
  9. Run Ubuntu (WSL) app minimized

Run Ubuntu (WSL) app minimized: Ordinarily, I can right click on an app to trace back to the application file in File Explorer, open its properties tab, and set it to run minimized from there. With Ubuntu, that isn't possible. So how can I make it run minimized?...
  10. KDE apps on Windows

KDE apps on Windows: Yea I have tried KDE apps in WSL which is not bad, failing that I just install some distro on an HD on my old machine.