Windows 10: Took apart computer, cleaned it, now monitors don't come on, keyboard

Discus and support Took apart computer, cleaned it, now monitors don't come on, keyboard in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I took apart my computer today for its yearly dusting and clean. I put everything together which I thought perfectly, but my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by mrje1, Feb 7, 2017.

1. mrje1 Win User

Took apart computer, cleaned it, now monitors don't come on, keyboard

Hello everyone,

I took apart my computer today for its yearly dusting and clean. I put everything together which I thought perfectly, but my monitors are not coming on or at first said no signal, mouse and keyboard don't work or the keyboard doesn't light up, but my computer turns on. I looked inside I don't see any errors or any unusual color lights on. So I'm not sure.

I was thinking maybe I ruined the video card or maybe my CPU wasn't hooked correctly but I thought I did. Not sure. Would love to get your thoughts on it.

Thank you very much.

:)

mrje1, Feb 7, 2017

2. Help N95 screen goes to black, and it won't return again bright..

Fender77 sems to have hit the nail on the head but i don't know how much use nokia are gonna be now its so old but when it happened to mine i took it apart and gave the cable a good clean/wiggle but it only lasted for about a month before it happened again

MatthewMaude, Feb 7, 2017
  3. Laptop Has Virus and I'm Stuck

Format the HDD & then do a clean install of Windows.

HOW TO DO A Clean Install Win10

Clean Install Windows 10

PA Bear - MS MVP, Feb 7, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Did you plug all the power supply cables back into the motherboard? Especially the 4-pin 12-volt connector?

NavyLCDR, Feb 7, 2017
  5. mrje1 Win User
    Hey NavyLCDR,

Good to see u again! Thanks for your assistance!

I have both my power connectors hooked up.

I noticed that I had a memory LED light on and I looked at my manual. Looks like I might have a memory problem. Not sure how that happened as my computer was working before. What are your thoughts on that?

Thank you again.

mrje1, Feb 7, 2017
  6. mrje1 Win User
    Another update, not sure if I should've done this, but I was taking out the memory one by one and restarting to see if I can find a faulty one. But for some reason I am getting the CPU LED light on and then I'm starting to smell a burnt smell. Maybe I will just unhook the CPU again and re-put it back and see if that helps. I'll have to do that a little bit have something I have to do at this moment.

Thank you again!

mrje1, Feb 7, 2017
  7. swarfega Win User
    How did you clean it, what materials and types did you use?

Make sure everything is seated properly and give a visual inspection of the motherboard to make sure theres nothing untoward.

swarfega, Feb 7, 2017
  8. mrje1 Win User

Thank you swarfega! I really appreciate your time and help.

I took all the parts apart and I use my brand-new dirt devil that has a suction to it and removed the dust from all the parts. On the CPU I removed the old thermal compound and then applied a little alcohol to the center to clean it. Then I reapplied a new batch. I then started to put all the parts back together. That's pretty much it.

I will take apart my cooler and CPU and reput them back and see what happens.

I will make sure I give a close look at them on the board as well. As soon as I'm done I will back in if there's anything else you think of please let me know. Thank you so much.

mrje1, Feb 7, 2017
  9. Never, ever use a vacuum cleaner on the interior parts of a computer. There is enough electrostatic build-up at the nozzle of a vacuum cleaner to seriously damage the internal parts in a computer, if not destroy them completely. Especially if you are using the brush attachment.

If your power cabling all checks out and your memory turns out to work, and the computer still won't start, you've likely blown up something on the motherboard by using the vacuum. The burning smell you describe concerns me. What I would do is take out the motherboard and use a magnifying glass and look at the motherboard close up and see if there are any burned looking, or charred components. Do the same with the graphics card. If it all looks ok, put the motherboard back and power it up without the CPU, RAM and graphics card. Then see if you can still smell something burning. Add components back in and check for a burning smell at each phase. Save the CPU for last.

You should only clean your computer with compressed air on the inside and a soft, damp cloth for wiping down the outside of the case. Never a vacuum.

Gurn Blanston, Feb 7, 2017
  10. Berton Win User
    Berton, Feb 7, 2017
  11. pparks1 Win User
    Check out the electronic duster from NewEgg. It's like a mini leaf blower. About $50, but you never have to buy compressed air again.

pparks1, Feb 7, 2017
  12. swarfega Win User
    The only alcohol you should use is 99% isopropyl, never use drinking alcohol. It's also sometimes referred to as TIM cleaner.

swarfega, Feb 7, 2017
  13. mrje1 Win User

Hey everybody, I want to thank you very much for all your help. I want to acknowledge that I received your responses and I appreciate you taking out the time to do that. I will get back to you with some answers and respond as soon as I finish the stuff you guys want me to do. See You guys in a bit.

mrje1, Feb 7, 2017
  14. mrje1 Win User
    Thank you for your response. I would never either. Used 70% isopropyl alcohol. Next time I will switch to 99%. Thank you!

mrje1, Feb 7, 2017
  15. mrje1 Win User
    Hey Mediocrites,

I did what you requested and did not see anything burnt. I put back The motherboard and tested each one individually. Still did not smell a burnt smell. I put back the CPU. I am now not smelling that burnt smell that was coming earlier. The only thing I did differently is I put the power connector into the cha_Fan1 slot instead of the CPU_fan slot. Now, I'm not getting no burnt smell. That is the good news.

The only problem I am seeing right now is the LED light of the memory is going on and my computer is not booting. For some reason, it looks like I'm having a memory problem.

Anymore thoughts before I purchase a new memory!

Thank you for your help and advice.

mrje1, Feb 10, 2017
Thema:

1. Took apart computer, cleaned it, now monitors don't come on, keyboard - Similar Threads - Took apart computer

2. My computer is falling apart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My computer is falling apart: Hello. A few weeks ago I put a hard drive ssd into my laptop for more storage and I got windows on here and installed my drivers but its just blue screening ALL THE TIME. I at a point where im just done with it but I came here one last time to see if anyone can help. it only...
  3. My computer is falling apart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer is falling apart: Hello. A few weeks ago I put a hard drive ssd into my laptop for more storage and I got windows on here and installed my drivers but its just blue screening ALL THE TIME. I at a point where im just done with it but I came here one last time to see if anyone can help. it only...
  4. Computer powers on, but monitors, keyboard and mouse don't work windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer powers on, but monitors, keyboard and mouse don't work windows 11: Hi,I recently purchased a windows 11 PC and it has been working fine for about a month. I went to turn it on this morning and there was no response from my monitors, keyboard or mouse. So far I have tried the following:Restarting the computerUnplugging all the equipment then...
  5. Computer powers on, but monitors, keyboard and mouse don't work windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer powers on, but monitors, keyboard and mouse don't work windows 11: Hi,I recently purchased a windows 11 PC and it has been working fine for about a month. I went to turn it on this morning and there was no response from my monitors, keyboard or mouse. So far I have tried the following:Restarting the computerUnplugging all the equipment then...
  6. My computer turns on but monitor don't.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My computer turns on but monitor don't.: Hello there, My comuter work properly and when i start up my computer monitor dont show any signal, and i thinking that is the cable vgargb and i put the same cable in my laptop and monitor works, i search for solutions on youtube and google and i do everything they say i...
  7. Windows 10 clean install on computer with HDMI monitor only. At start the monitor don't...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 clean install on computer with HDMI monitor only. At start the monitor don't...: Hello, Happy New Year! I've bought an ASUS I7, nVidia 1070, 32G, 512G SDD computer without OS. I also bought a (genuine) Windows 10 Pro CD, for OEM install on this computer. And an LG monitor, WITH ONLY HDMI connections (2xHDMI) When starting the PC I have no signal on the...
  8. Taking computer apart

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Taking computer apart: i cant figure out how to take the back off my laptop. i cant find a single article or manual on my specific model on how to take it apart. Im just replacing the hard drive and cant figure out how to get the back panel off. i have an hp pavilion model number 15-cs0064st. I...
  9. Cleaned my Keyboard, and Now it Doesn't Work?

Cleaned my Keyboard, and Now it Doesn't Work?: Hello. I recently cleaned my keyboard, and now it is completely unresponsive. I bought a new wired keyboard, but I hate the feel. of it. 42952
  10. Monitor does not come on after an update. Monitor or Computer?

Monitor does not come on after an update. Monitor or Computer?: My tower computer just updated but it shut down when the update was completed. Now when I turn it on it boots up but the monitor never came on. When I power the monitor off and on again, the power light comes on for a few seconds then goes out, but the monitor remains...