Windows 10: Took Ownership over C Drive

Discus and support Took Ownership over C Drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So I did something stupid and now my computer isn't running properly. Ever since I took ownership of the C Drive it takes over an hour, almost two, to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by annaleyah, Aug 29, 2016.

1. annaleyah Win User

Took Ownership over C Drive

So I did something stupid and now my computer isn't running properly. Ever since I took ownership of the C Drive it takes over an hour, almost two, to boot up. Luckily for me this is the only problem I have noticed.
    I cannot revert back to original ownership (Trusted Installer) but I'm wondering if I do a clean reset and reinstall Windows 10? Any advice to how I can revert my C drive if that doesn't work?

:)

annaleyah, Aug 29, 2016
  2. _Aphyxia Win User

Windows 10 - infinite loading screen and no accounts to login

I have thos exact same problem. Reseting didnt halp at all. Neither did sfc or chkdsk or foxin the boot files. What I did before was take ownership of the whole c drive wherr windows is and at the end of the day turn pc off. Now when I start pc this
    happens. I took ownership because I was denied access to c drive, couldnt write anything, at least not directly to c. I am writing on phone so sorry for the typos.

_Aphyxia, Aug 29, 2016
  3. oliiix Win User
    Document folders marked read only after upgrade to Windows 10

I just came accross the same problem. Everything is affected also second partition and second HD. Does drive C not also contain hidden and system files? Is it wise to add myself to such folders with full control?

Also what about ownership? Especially on my other partition and the second HD. My ownership over everything is just gone (let's say the old user who doesn't exist anymore is still the owner). I mean there's no problem in adding myself in the security tab
    with full control and changing the owner to myself (it just takes hours!!), but what about the folder structure on drive c? I cannot imagine I should take ownership over each system folder/file on c drive. You're not even mentioning ownership here.

Is there any place I can review the proper ownership and security tab settings for all windows system files? What about folders/files like Config.Msi, pagefile.sys, swapfile.sys, system volume information and all the stuff inside the windows folder?

EVERYONE: It's not only about the security tab - You also have to check the button at the bottom of this window "Advanced" I think it's called and check the ownership in there. In my case, I'm not even the owner of all the files and folders since my fresh
    windows 10 installation. So I surely have taken ownership over every other drive but C:\ as I'm really worried about taking ownership over my whole c drive. I just think it would be a huge vulnerability issue!!

And NO, do not expect any help here from microsoft, they are just answering mainly **** here.. You can even ask them about what they wrote and they will elegantly ignore you or serve you other **** which might not even be an answer to what you asked... it's
    hilarious and the most incompetent place I've ever met!

oliiix, Aug 29, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

Welcome to the forum. If you delete all partitions and reinstall from dvd or usb it will all be brand new and work

Samuria, Aug 29, 2016
  5. bro67 Win User
    It might be easier to just use the Refresh DVD. It works the same as if you did a flush and install, just a lot easier.

bro67, Aug 29, 2016
  6. Kbird Win User
    I have used Windows Repair Tool to reset all the default permissions on Drives after such an error , though I was not suffering from the long boot times you are so it may not be the same.

I have not used the Tool for anything else but it seemed to help me with this.... I UN-checked everything on the Repair Tab and just checked reset permissions on Drive : XXX as needed and let it do it's thing. I used the portable version so I didn't need to install anything...or uninstall anything....

Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Free/Pro

An inplace Upgrade is likely the next best thing....

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

Kbird, Aug 29, 2016
  7. TrustMe Win User
    Any chance you have System Restore turned on?

TrustMe, Aug 29, 2016
  8. bro67 Win User

I have noticed that Microsoft set it as a default of Off when installing Windows 8 on for some reason. There are a lot of issues with every OS that can be done better when it comes to things like a Kiosk reset after letting a guest use the system, or even only load those services and hardware that you are needing at the time that you are using the computer, instead of loading them and then placing devices into a standby state waiting for a IRQ that may never come.

bro67, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Took Ownership over C Drive - Similar Threads - Took Ownership Drive

2. Took ownership of C: drive, cannot even do a clean install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Took ownership of C: drive, cannot even do a clean install: Hello everyone!So I took ownership of my C: drive and now, I don't even have the option to do a clean install. Now, Windows isn't completely broken, but I cannot run .exe files, task manager does not even open & the right-click menu on any file or folder makes File Explorer...
  3. Taking over the ownership

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taking over the ownership: Hi there,I'm having an issue with files stores within C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Here's the problem:I would like to play Forza Horizon 5 using my steering wheel - Logitech G27.To make it work in the desired way, I would like to add this game to the Logitech Profiler - this...
  4. Taking over the ownership

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taking over the ownership: Hi there,I'm having an issue with files stores within C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Here's the problem:I would like to play Forza Horizon 5 using my steering wheel - Logitech G27.To make it work in the desired way, I would like to add this game to the Logitech Profiler - this...
  5. Taking over the ownership

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  6. Corrupted User Account/C Drive and D Drive Ownership

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Corrupted User Account/C Drive and D Drive Ownership: [ATTACH] Hi, I am at my wits end, this issue has been ongoing for the pas few days and I have stayed up quite late to try and fix this with the help of some Microsoft Technicians online. I would like to thank the few technicians who were willing to help me over their...
  7. Took ownership of entire C:/ drive, will switching it back to TrustedInstaller fix it?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Took ownership of entire C:/ drive, will switching it back to TrustedInstaller fix it?: submitted by /u/Whyisnthillaryinjail [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gmy06t/took_ownership_of_entire_c_drive_will_switching/
  8. Limit Ownership to Drive C

in Windows 10 Support
    Limit Ownership to Drive C: Hi, Is there a way to prevent Windows from taking Ownership of External Drives, and other Partition other than C: ? Thank you. 58095
  9. Scanning And Repairing C Drive Over and Over

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Scanning And Repairing C Drive Over and Over: My ASUS laptop running Windows 10 crashed and I had to turn it off by holding the power button. When I turned the laptop back on it had a message that it was scanning and repairing the C drive. After a few hours the instead of then starting up normally, a blue screen appears...
  10. how to change ownership of c drive to everyone?

in Windows 10 Support
    how to change ownership of c drive to everyone?: Is there a way to change ownership of the C drive to everyone? I tried right clicking, Security -> Add -> Everyone (check name showed ok), then set it to full control, and hit apply, but when I open a command prompt and type echo # > bla, it still fails?? I can see its...